As if it wasn't Exciting Enough....... :-(

Old May 11th, 2009, 04:40 PM posted to rec.travel.air
mag3

Default As if it wasn't Exciting Enough....... :-(

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/us_world/...National_.html

What worries me is not so much the rule, or my documents, but the fact that Airline
Reservations systems continuously screw up my name by dropping the spaces I put
in between names and initials. For example, say my name is "First Middle Last, JR."
I use my 1st initial and middle name (first name was in fact legally shortened to just
the initial), so I go by "F Middle" or just "Middle." My passport has:

Surname: Last Jr
Given Name: F Middle

which is correct.

Usually there are only 2 spaces for first and last name in the resv. systems. So I fudge
it by putting in exactly what the passport says "F Middle" for first and "Last Jr" for last.
The problem is, the frickin' Airlne reservation system screws up by droping the spaces,
so it comes out on the ticket: "FMiddle" and "LastJr" even though in their customer care
database, it's correctly listed as "F Middle Last, Jr."

And Don't get me started on my ever loving local DMV! They don't even have a field for
full name, just the initial. So with them, I'm "F M Last, Jr," but I can sign it as
"F Middle Last, Jr."

Buckle up folks. This one's going to be a bumpy ride!!!

Regards,

Arnold
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
mag3 wrote:

ttp://www.nbcdfw.com/news/us_world/TSA_Changes_Could_Hold_You_Up_All__National
_.html

Since Indiana used only the middle initial on their DLs, I shouldn't
include my full middle name. Is that correct.

--
"Distracting a politician from governing
is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."

--PJ O'Rourke
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:07 PM posted to rec.travel.air
mag3

On Mon, 11 May 2009 12:20:13 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
mag3 wrote:

ttp://www.nbcdfw.com/news/us_world/TSA_Changes_Could_Hold_You_Up_All__National
_.html

Since Indiana used only the middle initial on their DLs, I shouldn't
include my full middle name. Is that correct.

The report would have us think that the TSA is looking for an *exact*
match to the document you present for ID. I'm not sure what the TSA
will actually accept. I'm thinking though that this rule might force the
airlines to add a middle name field to their data base to match people's
passport or DL entries.

What I think they (airlines) should do though is add one field in addition to the
others: "Name as you want it to appear on the ticket." One field, 30 chars
or so. Allow the pax. to enter what they wish, with the understanding that
*they* are responsible for the entry and for any issues raised by the TSA
when checking the ID.

Nice to see ya over here BTW... :-)

Regards,

Arnold