$1 flight to Whitsundays

Old January 19th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Jeff

Default $1 flight to Whitsundays

Hi
I scored some return flights to Whitsundays yesterday for early February. $1
fare + surcharge + credit card fee came to $132 for two return. How good is
that?

Now as you can see I like a bargain, and i like to take my holidays in the
quieter times. Where can i find good accomodation at a resonable price? ( 4
nights ) I am interested in islands or sailing, want to be on the water or
at least very close. ( I don't want to stay at Airlie Beach)

I have seen some island specials, but hey it is still expensive for a
Queenslander
I am open to any ideas or suggestions

Cheers
Jeff
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/surfoz

Old January 19th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Geodyne

"Jeff" wrote in
:

I have seen some island specials, but hey it is still expensive for a
Queenslander
I am open to any ideas or suggestions

If you're into the islands and sailing, hire a bareboat yacht charter and
you'll be set. If there's only the two of you you may still be able to get
one for about the same price as a room in a resort. Very few of the resorts
give you a cheap opportunity to move around.

There's still not that much on the water in AB or Cannonvale. Terraces has
nice water views (but is in AB); otherwise consider Hook Island or Long
Island - they may have a decent special going on.

Geodyne
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Traveller

Hehe, its quite unreal how the airlines would say they only charged you $1
for the ticket but then charged you 1320% on taxes n service fee! When
Virgin first launched their route to the Whitsundays last year, I paid $48
return including taxes!

Anyway $132 is still cheap to this gateway of paradise, a trip i will never
forget in my life.

There are many cruises that operates daily from mainland. i did a dive
course on a boat called seasation - the cheapest up there n excellent crew n
services, food was great too - http://www.seasation.com.au/

I then did daily trips to the islands with http://www.fantasea.com.au/, it
was great, esp the one to the outer reef, food was the best i had all week
there, big fresh prawns, mussells...... but if u get sea sick easy, dont
stay downstairs in the boat wen it reaches open sea lol! thats personal
advice lol.

whitehaven & hamilton island r a must too n fuller does trips to both with
many other islands.

for stay, the bakcpackers in the middle of airlie beach (main area u dont
want to b too far from) has great atmosphere. dont miss their foam party on
mondays, its quite an experience!

best way to hunt for a bargain is through the travel agents, simply go in
there n tell them ur after last minute specials n tell them to call u wen
they hav any. i got many of my tickets at more than 50% off wen they try to
fill in the cruises/tours the night b4 to ensure they got enuv to go in the
morning. Hav fun!

Traveller

"Geodyne" wrote in message
"Jeff" wrote in
:

Old January 24th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Jack

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi
I scored some return flights to Whitsundays yesterday for early February.

$1
fare + surcharge + credit card fee came to $132 for two return. How good

is
that?

for those not in the know, there are now permanent $1 flights with Virgin,
between 1-2pm daily - BUT you have to find which route - that's the tricky
part!