distance vs price

Old February 24th, 2009, 06:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Thornhill

Default distance vs price

Normally when I travel, I'm willing to pay a premium price for a hotel
with good location, where many of the things I want to see are within
walking distance.

I'm going to Paris this summer, and it turns out that a friend of a
friend has a condo there, that he rents out for the summer, at a rate
that's equivalent to what a three star hotel charges, and the condo is
far nicer than any three star hotel. The trade-off, is that the condo
is located far enough away form the city center, that I'd have to take
the metro to get to it, but it's only a 10 minute train ride. The
location of the condo is near the convention station metro stop (it
comes up in google maps).

Can anyone think of a reason to pass on the enormous savings of
renting and paying for a hotel with better location?
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:38:27 -0800 (PST), Thornhill
wrote:

Normally when I travel, I'm willing to pay a premium price for a hotel
with good location, where many of the things I want to see are within
walking distance.

I'm going to Paris this summer, and it turns out that a friend of a
friend has a condo there, that he rents out for the summer, at a rate
that's equivalent to what a three star hotel charges, and the condo is
far nicer than any three star hotel. The trade-off, is that the condo
is located far enough away form the city center, that I'd have to take
the metro to get to it, but it's only a 10 minute train ride. The
location of the condo is near the convention station metro stop (it
comes up in google maps).

Can anyone think of a reason to pass on the enormous savings of
renting and paying for a hotel with better location?

There is no real center of Paris, and the convenience of the
location depends largely on what you want to do and see. No
matter where you stay you will probably be doing a lot of Metro
trips. That being said, I suppose a location out near the
Peripherique could be considered inconvenient.

Old February 24th, 2009, 08:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_4_]

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:38:27 -0800, Thornhill wroteÂ*:

I'm going to Paris this summer, and it turns out that a friend of a
friend has a condo there, that he rents out for the summer, at a rate
that's equivalent to what a three star hotel charges, and the condo is
far nicer than any three star hotel. The trade-off, is that the condo is
located far enough away form the city center, that I'd have to take the
metro to get to it, but it's only a 10 minute train ride. The location
of the condo is near the convention station metro stop (it comes up in
google maps).

Convention is a residential area with many reasonnable restaurants,
street markets and a big park not too far. No tourist attraction nearby
but some real local life.

Old February 25th, 2009, 12:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2009-02-24, Thornhill wrote:

I'm going to Paris this summer, and it turns out that a friend of a
friend has a condo there, that he rents out for the summer, at a rate
that's equivalent to what a three star hotel charges, and the condo is
far nicer than any three star hotel. The trade-off, is that the condo
is located far enough away form the city center, that I'd have to take
the metro to get to it, but it's only a 10 minute train ride. The
location of the condo is near the convention station metro stop (it
comes up in google maps).

You're just under 3km from the Eiffel tower and about the same from Jardin
du Luxembourg, so it's not that bad. It looks remote on a metro map, but
don't let that fool you.

Can anyone think of a reason to pass on the enormous savings of
renting and paying for a hotel with better location?

Nope. Go for the apartment.

Last time I was in Paris, I stayed at the eastern end of Paris proper,
near either Porte de Montreuil or Porte de Vincennes (I can't remember).
The metro ride from there got old after a while, but your location is
better than that.
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Thornhill

On Feb 24, 2:57*pm, JuanElorza wrote:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:38:27 -0800, Thornhill wrote*:

I'm going to Paris this summer, and it turns out that a friend of a
friend has a condo there, that he rents out for the summer, at a rate
that's equivalent to what a three star hotel charges, and the condo is
far nicer than any three star hotel. The trade-off, is that the condo is
located far enough away form the city center, that I'd have to take the
metro to get to it, but it's only a 10 minute train ride. The location
of the condo is near the convention station metro stop (it comes up in
google maps).

Convention is a residential area with many reasonnable restaurants,
street markets and a big park not too far. No tourist attraction nearby
but some real local life.

That's a really good point, and I've often made the same
recommendation to people! I supposed the only reason I've overlooked
mine own advice here, is because Paris is so spread out.
Old February 26th, 2009, 11:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_4_]

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 20:33:48 -0800, Thornhill wroteÂ*:

On Feb 24, 2:57Â*pm, JuanElorza wrote:
[...]

http://www.parisbalades.com/Arrond/15/15evaugirard.htm
http://www.parisbalades.com/Autre/listearr.htm
http://www.cityzens.fr/Shopping/Marc...hes-Paris.aspx

http://www.mairie15.paris.fr/mairie1...ite/Portal.jsp

translation use babelfish.altavista.com or google language tools