Question for old timers

Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:01 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. DBG

Default Question for old timers

What was airport security like in, say, the mid 1970s?

My first flight was in 1991.

I've heard that there was practically NO security in the mid
1960s; that a person could even carry a firearm on board;
they usually just turned them over to an FA on boarding
and had them handed back at the end of the flight.

My guess is maybe metal detectors in the '70s.

Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

In article ,
Mr. DBG wrote:
What was airport security like in, say, the mid 1970s?

There was nothing at all until the Palestinian hijackings in 1970 and
DB Cooper in 1971. The FAA mandated searches starting in 1973, which
were mostly just magnetometers.

I've heard that there was practically NO security in the mid
1960s; that a person could even carry a firearm on board;
they usually just turned them over to an FA on boarding
and had them handed back at the end of the flight.

Yeah. Ah, for the good old days.

R's,
John
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. DBG

"John Levine" wrote in message
In article ,
Mr. DBG wrote:
What was airport security like in, say, the mid 1970s?

There was nothing at all until the Palestinian hijackings in 1970 and
DB Cooper in 1971.

I think it was mainly those Cuban hijackings of the period
that caused the changes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...aft_hijackings

I've heard that there was practically NO security in the mid
1960s; that a person could even carry a firearm on board;
they usually just turned them over to an FA on boarding
and had them handed back at the end of the flight.

Yeah. Ah, for the good old days.

Yeah, ain't modern life wunnerful...

R's,
John

Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air
AES

In article ,
"Mr. DBG" wrote:

Yeah. Ah, for the good old days.

Yeah, ain't modern life wunnerful...

No formal security procedures at all when you board European inter-city
trains (which you can routinely do just minutes before they depart) ---
along with no seating problems, a _much_ more comfortable trip, laptop
power and broadband wireless often available on board --- and about the
same total travel time door-to-door.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Hatunen

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:55:14 -0700, AES
wrote:

In article ,
"Mr. DBG" wrote:

Yeah. Ah, for the good old days.

Yeah, ain't modern life wunnerful...

No formal security procedures at all when you board European inter-city
trains (which you can routinely do just minutes before they depart) ---
along with no seating problems, a _much_ more comfortable trip, laptop
power and broadband wireless often available on board --- and about the
same total travel time door-to-door.

Depending on where you are traveling. We took the ICE from Munich
to Berlin once and the ride was long enough I finally decided we
should have flown. There are cut-rate airlines we could have
used. On the other hand, my BahnCard50 probably meant the airfare
couldn't beat the train fare for the three of us.

Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

"Mr. DBG" wrote:
What was airport security like in, say, the mid 1970s?
My first flight was in 1991.
I've heard that there was practically NO security in the mid
1960s; that a person could even carry a firearm on board;
they usually just turned them over to an FA on boarding
and had them handed back at the end of the flight.

No ID checks. You could give or sell a ticket to anyone.
As long as it had the correct origin+destination, gate agents
assumed it was your ticket. And yeah, gates did not close
until 10 minutes B4 departure. Before deregulation, flights
were more web-like than hub+spoke, which made it easier
to get to smaller airports.

Old April 24th, 2008, 01:32 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. DBG

"Rog'" wrote in message
. ..
"Mr. DBG" wrote:
What was airport security like in, say, the mid 1970s?
My first flight was in 1991.
I've heard that there was practically NO security in the mid
1960s; that a person could even carry a firearm on board;
they usually just turned them over to an FA on boarding
and had them handed back at the end of the flight.

No ID checks. You could give or sell a ticket to anyone.
As long as it had the correct origin+destination, gate agents
assumed it was your ticket.

Yep, even I remember those days. Our local paper would
have huge numbers of ads for people selling airline tickets.
These new rules blew that practice right out of the water!
I think that several years before it became law, most of
the airlines lied to customers, saying it was an FAA regulation
to verify I.D.

Old April 24th, 2008, 05:22 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

Rog' wrote:

"Mr. DBG" wrote:

What was airport security like in, say, the mid 1970s?
My first flight was in 1991.
I've heard that there was practically NO security in the mid
1960s; that a person could even carry a firearm on board;
they usually just turned them over to an FA on boarding
and had them handed back at the end of the flight.

No ID checks. You could give or sell a ticket to anyone.

OF course, prices were regulated
Old April 24th, 2008, 02:52 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Stephen Chaplin

No formal security procedures at all when you board European inter-city
trains (which you can routinely do just minutes before they depart) ---
along with no seating problems, a _much_ more comfortable trip, and about

the
same total travel time door-to-door.

Not travelled much on the trains in the UK then i take it :-)

Old April 24th, 2008, 04:50 PM posted to rec.travel.air
AES

In article ,
"Stephen Chaplin" wrote:

No formal security procedures at all when you board European inter-city
trains (which you can routinely do just minutes before they depart) ---
along with no seating problems, a _much_ more comfortable trip, and about

the
same total travel time door-to-door.

Not travelled much on the trains in the UK then i take it :-)

Nope, fortunately I haven't had to. Maybe some day your social system
will catch up to those in Germany and other parts of Europe. :-)