accommodation in Alice Springs and Ayers Rock (uluru) AUSTRALIA.How is it ?

Old January 20th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Artur

Default accommodation in Alice Springs and Ayers Rock (uluru) AUSTRALIA.How is it ?

I'm going in August to visit Alice and Uluru. I'd like to know which
hotels are the best and any recomendations.
Storyies about the place welcome.
Anyone went to the sounds of silence dinner ? How good is it ?

Cheers,

Artur
Old January 20th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Artur" wrote in message
I'm going in August to visit Alice and Uluru. I'd like to know which
hotels are the best and any recomendations.

That rather depends on your budget and what you are looking
for, note that choice is somewhat restricted at Uluru

In Alice Springs be sure to visit the Desert Park about 7km
west of the city centre and take a trip up to the old
telegraph station just north of the town

It became an orphanage for aboriginal and mixed race kids
between the wars and when I went there they had an old
aborignal guy who was raised there who was telling stories
of the time.

Contrary to expectations he was very happy there and
described the staff as very kind and he ended up being
sent to University to study engineering.

Keith

Old January 21st, 2004, 09:30 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Raffi Balmanoukian" a
wrote in message
news:BC333551.1F75C%walkabout@TAKEOUTTHETRASHTOREP LY.ns.sympatico.ca...

Wasn't there a recent fire at one of the upscale spots?

IRC it was a new resort just outside the park and reached by 4WD
from the main resort

Keith

Old January 21st, 2004, 11:35 PM
Michelle

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"Raffi Balmanoukian" a
wrote in message
news:BC333551.1F75C%walkabout@TAKEOUTTHETRASHTOREP LY.ns.sympatico.ca...

Wasn't there a recent fire at one of the upscale spots?

IRC it was a new resort just outside the park and reached by 4WD
from the main resort

Keith

The resort was Longitude 131
(http://www.voyages.com.au/destinatio.../longitude131/) . Luxury
safari tents for a gazillion dollars a night but with a view to match. I
actually think they may have been hit by two seperate bush fires...

Michelle

Old January 23rd, 2004, 12:46 AM
Tom Hatfield

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:33:23 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
a wrote:

in article , Keith Willshaw at
wrote on 1/20/04 4:27 PM:

"Artur" wrote in message
I'm going in August to visit Alice and Uluru. I'd like to know which
hotels are the best and any recomendations.

That rather depends on your budget and what you are looking
for, note that choice is somewhat restricted at Uluru

Wasn't there a recent fire at one of the upscale spots?

Yes, Longitude 131 burned to the ground. However it was only a small
colleciton of luxury tent accommodations, the rest of the Ayers Rock
Resort is still going strong, and charging for being the only
accommodation anywhere near the rock.

Tom

Old January 28th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Megan

Hi Artur

Check out the following website for internet rates for accommodation and
tours (Sounds of Silence)
http://www.ayersrockaccom.com/tourListing/1922/328/. Ive heard that the
Sounds of Silence dinner needs to be booked pretty early.

Cheers Megan