Late picking up a rental car?

Old April 21st, 2010, 07:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

Default Late picking up a rental car?

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote:
The issue that I posed, just in case you miss it, has nothing to do with
whether or not I know the answer. Instead, the issue is why you turn to us
here for an answer rather than to the Alamo folks, given that you are most
interested in Alamo.

Companies often have unofficial grace periods and other customer
courtesies that aren't part of their published rules. For example,
people have discussed Southwest's flat tire rule, where if you arrive
less than 2 hours late for a flight for a good reason, they'll let you
take the next flight at no extra cost, even though the rules state
otherwise.

It's quite possible that the people who answer the 800 number will say
something is forbidden, when in fact the employees on the ground allow
it.

That's why I'm interested in people's first-hand experience. In fact,
two other posters *did* have just the information I was looking for,
so asking this question here was a good idea.

Happy trolling,
Jimmy

******
Let me get this straight...you'll take the word of people here over what
someone at Alamo says? That is essentially your rationale for asking this
question here?

So if a number of people here say that you can be as late as 12 hours and
you show up two hours late only to find that your reserved car has been
given to someone else because you didn't show up in the requisite time, you
will complain that the Alamo counter person is wrong because a number of
people on rec.travel.usa-canada in response to your question said that you
can be as late as 12 hours. Do I have this right?

Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Binyamin Dissen

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 11:06:47 -0700 (PDT) Jimmy
wrote:

:Binyamin Dissen wrote:
: Jimmy wrote:
: :1. Honor the rate, and set the return time to 4 pm Sunday
: :2. Honor the rate, but I'd have to bring it back at noon Sunday
: :or
: :3. Make me pay the much higher walk-up rate

: My experience has been (2). Of course, with all the nickel and diming
: nowadays, that may have changed.

:In another forum, several people said (1) is what they're supposed to
:do. Was yours an unpaid reservation, or was it prepaid?

Sorry. (1). Unpaid.

In my cases the return time was predetermined.

: P.S. With Alamo it is quite likely that you will be in line for a ho

:(I assume you meant to say "hour".

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jimmy

Binyamin Dissen wrote:
: Jimmy wrote:

: :1. Honor the rate, and set the return time to 4 pm Sunday
: :2. Honor the rate, but I'd have to bring it back at noon Sunday
: :or
: :3. Make me pay the much higher walk-up rate

Sorry. (1). Unpaid.

In my cases the return time was predetermined.

What do you mean by predetermined?

Jimmy
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Binyamin Dissen

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:04:49 -0700 (PDT) Jimmy
wrote:

:Binyamin Dissen wrote:
: : Jimmy wrote:

: : :1. Honor the rate, and set the return time to 4 pm Sunday
: : :2. Honor the rate, but I'd have to bring it back at noon Sunday
: : :or
: : :3. Make me pay the much higher walk-up rate

: Sorry. (1). Unpaid.

: In my cases the return time was predetermined.

:What do you mean by predetermined?

I was leaving at a specific time anyway. I didn't stay longer because I
arrived late.

Old April 24th, 2010, 10:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Tom P[_6_]

Mark Brader wrote:
Jimmy Geldburg:
What happens if you're late picking up a rental car, for which you
have an unpaid reservation with a very low guaranteed rate?

Tough **** can happen.

Let's say I have a car reserved at noon on a Friday, for two days. If
I pick up the car at 4 pm Friday, would they:
1. Honor the rate, and set the return time to 4 pm Sunday
2. Honor the rate, but I'd have to bring it back at noon Sunday
or
3. Make me pay the much higher walk-up rate

There's also

4. Have no cars available because they already assumed you weren't
coming and rented the last one to someone else.

I have no idea at what point that's likely to happen, but whatever their
policy is on the rate, you should at least telephone them -- preferably,
at the specific location where you're picking it up -- as soon as you know
you're going to be hours late.

Ditto. It's happened to me., if you are arriving by plane, always put
the flight number on the reservation, so at least they'll know if the
flight is delayed. If you don't.. you get there and all the rental
counters are shut and you can be looking for a bus or taxi at midnight...
Old April 24th, 2010, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Tom P[_6_]

Jimmy wrote:
"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote:
[...]

It's very simple. If you don't show up for hours and they have a queue
of customers waiting for a car, then your car will be gone, and it could
be the last one.

T.