Civitavecchia to Ostia Antica by train or car?

Old September 16th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Brahmama

Default Civitavecchia to Ostia Antica by train or car?

I contacted a local taxi service with this reply:

These are the prices as your request :
H/D (4 hours) private ( english) escorted visit of Cerveteri or
Tarquinia
: 160,00 euro
F/D ( 8 hours) " " "
: 300,00 euro
During the visit the guide can suggest you all the different visits as
your
pleasure end in accord with the weather conditions.

Prices not includes : Car ......80/100 euro a day with no limits of
kilometrage and full of gas.
Tickets for museums/food and beverage.

Best Regards.
___________________________________
Laboratorio Viaggi
Luca Caponera
Agency Manager

And also received a reply back from Tom Rankin:

Thanks for your email. While we do often lead tours in Ostia Antica,
this October the members of my staff qualified to do so are busy with
archaeological work and wouldn't be available that day. I wish I
could suggest someone else but I really don't have any good ideas.

All the best,
--
Tom Rankin
President, AC Scala Reale

So even though these did not work for us - now there will be some
contact information for tours from the port of Civitavecchia.

I guess we'll just walk around - and find a place for a nice lunch and
just enjoy being in Italy.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a place for a charming lunch and/or
wine?

Cheers,
Brah

(MasonBarge) wrote in message ...

So, I am striking out . Maybe I'm just supposed to go back to Rome for
the day!

My posts through my very unsatisfactory news servers (two of them!) are not
posting, so I may be repeating myself.

I don't blame you for hesitating about a daytrip to Rome. (My last time in
Civitavecchia we went to town, had a nice walk, ate an excellent lunch at a
local restaurant, then got back on the ship.)

I would strongly suggest you think about Tarquinia. It is a very interesting
place and a center of Etruscan history. It's on two hills -- Etruscan ruins on
one, and the modern (read: medieval) city on the next hill over. Like
Pompeii/Naples, the museum is in the modern city. Also, it is extremely
convenient to Civita. with direct train service.

For some reason, it is a lot more popular for Italian, French, and other
European tourists than Americans. I suppose a lot of its attraction is that it
is so different from Roman/ruins and culture and distinctive from Greek,
although related. Anyway, it's a really good use of a cruise stop there.

Personally, I think Etruscan art is extremely cool and the Tarqunia museum has
IMO the best piece in existence, a fairly famous terra cotta statue of two
winged horses.