Cozumel Pier Shopping

Old September 14th, 2003, 04:36 AM
Megan

Default Cozumel Pier Shopping

In March 2002 we were in Cozumel and the RCI pier had a little
shopping area. Further down, at the Carnival pier, was another little
shopping area. My understanding was that the whole area was to be
developed. Can anyone describe what progress has been made there, as
we will be visiting again in about 5 months. Thanks for the info, as
always.

Megan ^..^
Old September 14th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Howard Garland

Unfortunately, there has been enormous progress. You now have to walk
about half a mile just to grab a taxi to the beach.

Old September 14th, 2003, 04:46 PM
DaFlaBear

Yep, I was just there a week or so ago.
If you have ever been to EPCOT and gone on the water ride at St. Angel
Inn you will find it to be the same.
Walking thru a bunch of vendors both in kiosks and storefronts selling
T-shirts and other "quaint" stuff just to get to the taxi's.
The only good thing was that on our ship (The Explorer, and I'm sure all
others too) Diamonds International paid our cabfare (one way) downtown
to their main store (one of about 10).
There was NO pressure and upstairs is one of the Havana Clubs (nice food
and beverage in an air conditioned venue with a waterfrot view).
Your "sales vulture" on ship will hand out vouchers.
Just show it to the dispatcher in the taxi area. It seemed to give us a
cab a bit quicker along with being FREE.

Old September 14th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Howard Garland

For us it was a real Problem. Eileen is not terribly well these days
and she only leaves the ship about once on a 7 day itinerary. The beach
at Cozumel is one thing she likes to do. With the new, much longer walk
to the taxi area, we had to use a ship's wheelchair, which was not easy
to maneuver during that very long, hot walk. What was worse, is that we
decided to leave the beach a little early; and the wheelchair that I
asked for was not waiting when we got back to the pier. Eileen walked
back with me but it was VERY difficult. I wish they provided some kind
of tram service at this (and some other) piers. It would make life much
easier for us and others who have difficulty walking.

Howard

Old September 15th, 2003, 01:01 AM
Diva

Howard,
When I was there a couple of years ago they had these "rickshaw" like =
things that would take you to the end of the pier (probably for a price =
as they were operated by locals). Were they gone?

June

"Howard Garland" wrote in message =
For us it was a real Problem. Eileen is not terribly well these days=20
and she only leaves the ship about once on a 7 day itinerary. The beach =

at Cozumel is one thing she likes to do. With the new, much longer walk =

to the taxi area, we had to use a ship's wheelchair, which was not easy=20
to maneuver during that very long, hot walk. What was worse, is that we =

decided to leave the beach a little early; and the wheelchair that I=20
asked for was not waiting when we got back to the pier. Eileen walked=20
back with me but it was VERY difficult. I wish they provided some kind=20

DaFlaBear wrote:

Yep, I was just there a week or so ago.
If you have ever been to EPCOT and gone on the water ride at St. Angel
Inn you will find it to be the same.
Walking thru a bunch of vendors both in kiosks and storefronts selling
T-shirts and other "quaint" stuff just to get to the taxi's.
The only good thing was that on our ship (The Explorer, and I'm sure =

all
others too) Diamonds International paid our cabfare (one way) downtown
to their main store (one of about 10).
There was NO pressure and upstairs is one of the Havana Clubs (nice =

food
and beverage in an air conditioned venue with a waterfrot view).
Your "sales vulture" on ship will hand out vouchers.
Just show it to the dispatcher in the taxi area. It seemed to give us =

cab a bit quicker along with being FREE.
=20

Old September 15th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Howard Garland

June:
A couple of years ago you could get a cab right at the end of the pier
so there was no problem. Now, the end of the pier is the beginning of a
long walk. I hope they bring those rickshaw's back, as I would be happy
to pay the price.

Old September 16th, 2003, 05:56 AM
Linda Coffman

"Howard Garland" wrote...
A couple of years ago you could get a cab right at the end of the pier
so there was no problem. Now, the end of the pier is the beginning of a
long walk. I hope they bring those rickshaw's back, as I would be happy
to pay the price.

Howard, there were rickshaws at the downtown pier when we docked there last
May on Radisson Diamond. At the international pier where the big ships
dock... no rickshaws in July. It was a longer walk than the downtown pier
and I'm so sorry to hear about the difficulty you and Eileen encountered.

Linda
-----
http://cruisediva.com