Best beaches in the Caribbean?

Old September 15th, 2003, 12:59 AM
Gordon

Default Best beaches in the Caribbean?

Thanks Howard for the info. Sounds like something new to do.

Gordon

"Howard Garland" wrote in message
Saphhire beach is a lovely, uncrowded beach about a $12 cab ride from
the pier. There are chairs, a nice bar, and changing facilities. There
is decent snorkeling, I am told (I don't like snorkeling). The water is
literally sapphire blue in color, and unlike Megan's Bay, you actually
get some surf action on this beach. I have suggested sapphire to lots
of folks on our various cruises and all have loved it. Try it; I think
you will really like it.

Howard

Gordon wrote:

Can you please give me more info on Sapphire Beach? I will be in St.

Thomas
next week and this may work in place of going over to St. John which I

have
done a few times in the past. Not keen on doing the tender thing. How

far is
Sapphire from the ship?

Thanks, Gordon

"Eileen Garland" wrote in message

I disagree, Tom. I adore Sapphire Beach on St. Thomas. I think the
ferry ride to St. John is long and hot and would only go there when I'm
on a cruise that stops in St. John at least in one direction.

But then, I don't enjoy snorkeling, and that's probably got a lot to do
with it. Different strokes...

Eileen

Tom & Linda wrote:

For St. Thomas, there is NOTHING there as good as taking the ferry over
to St. John. 90% of St. John is a US National Park. My favorite beach
in the world is there - Trunk Bay. It was actually voted as one of the
top 10 beaches in the world by National Geographic Magazine.

We've been to St. Thomas about 10 times. We don't even bother staying
there anymore... we automatically take the ferry to St. John. To me,
St. John is that special.

--Tom

Curt120R wrote:

recommendations would be appreciated. I don't necessarily want a
"quiet beach", just a beach with beautiful sand and water and
amenities.

St Thomas
St Maarten
Barbados
Antigua

Old September 15th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Curt120R

"Helen" wrote in message news:Tl69b.343406$Oz4.128576@rwcrnsc54...
I 2nd that one!
We took the Red Hook Ferry over from St Thomas to St John and rented a jeep
and drove around the island. Very bueatiful island, less populated and Trunk
Bay was the best! It has showers there too.

--
Helen
http://home.comcast.net/~hkolln66

Curt120R wrote:

recommendations would be appreciated. I don't necessarily want a
"quiet beach", just a beach with beautiful sand and water and
amenities.

St Thomas
St Maarten
Barbados
Antigua

Thanks for all the responses! I've never been to Antigua or Barbados.
Going there on a cruise, should I be hitting the beaches here? or
should I do an shore trip? I think I'll do one shore trip and one
beach trip among the 2 islands. Any thoughts or recommendations on
which and where to go?
Old September 15th, 2003, 11:15 PM
Howard Garland

Never been to Antigua but I've been to Barbados quite a few times. One
beach I like a lot is called the Boatyard. It is located pretty close
to downtown and is frequented by many of the staff on the different
cruise ships. Although not a very beautiful beach, the price of
admission ($10) includes chairs and changing facilities. There is also
a restaurant and a very "hopping" bar. If your ship will be in Barbados
late (until 9:00 or 10:00 PM), then I recommend going to the Boatyard
in the afternoon and staying for sunset, which is beautiful. They
sometimes light a bonfire on the beach and every night seems to be a big
party there (they have a DJ, who plays contemporary dance tunes).
However, if you like your beaches quiet and secluded, then I don't
recommend this place.

Howard

Old September 16th, 2003, 12:40 AM
Charles

In article , Curt120R
wrote:

Thanks for all the responses! I've never been to Antigua

I went to a great beach in Antigua, so they do have some good beaches
there. Unfortunatly it was seven years ago and I don't recall the name
of the one I went to, but there were facilities, and a bar. It was not
crowded, we just asked a taxi driver to take us to a good beach where
we would also like to snorkle. The driver even came back at an arranged
time and returned us to the ship.

--
Charles
Old September 16th, 2003, 12:41 AM
denise

I have also been to Sapphire Beach and it is very nice. On Barbados, we
have been to Nelson's Boatyard--very nice and we have also been to
Casuarina's--a resort--great facilities, great beach. It has a little more
wave action than Nelson's. On Antigua, visited Miller's Beach. Very nice,
great sand, like velvet--a lot of vendors but not pushy. A simple no thanks
sent them on their way. Denise
"Aubrey Scott" wrote in message
St. Thomas = Sapphire Beach
Others may say Megan's Bay but I find the ameneties at Sapphire easier
to enjoy.

St Maarten = Orient Beach
And, no, not for the nudity.

Old September 16th, 2003, 02:32 AM
Jim Bucholz

"Curt120R" wrote in message
m...

Thanks for all the responses! I've never been to Antigua or Barbados.
Going there on a cruise, should I be hitting the beaches here? or
should I do an shore trip? I think I'll do one shore trip and one
beach trip among the 2 islands. Any thoughts or recommendations on
which and where to go?

One of our fondest beach memories was snorkeling at Pineapple Beach on Long
Bay in Antigua. We'll go back next time we're there.

Jim

Old September 16th, 2003, 03:01 AM
Kathy S

I have to agree with Tom regarding St. John, USVI beaches. My personal
favorite is Hawksnest Bay Beach.
Kathy

Old September 16th, 2003, 03:26 AM
Tom & Linda

I don't think National Geographic said that Trunk Bay was a very good
beach.

They said it was one of the top 10 beaches in the world.

To me... that's a lot higher than Very Good.

It's also part of a US National Park. Not National Forest or National
Monument. But National Park, which puts it in the same group as
Yellowstone, Yosemite, etc.

I've never been to Sapphire Beach. It might be gorgeous. But let me
know when it's printed in as many Caribbean cruise brochures as Trunk
Bay. VBG

On the other hand... if you said Magen's Bay... you'd have a point.
Though I've heard that Magen's Bay is not as nice as it used to be.

I might be exaggerating... you're right. But to me St. John is the
absolute best island I've been to in the Caribbean.

--Tom

Charles wrote:

In article , Tom & Linda
wrote:

For St. Thomas, there is NOTHING there as good as taking the ferry over
to St. John. 90% of St. John is a US National Park. My favorite beach
in the world is there - Trunk Bay. It was actually voted as one of the
top 10 beaches in the world by National Geographic Magazine.

I agree that Trunk Bay is a very good beach. And St. John is beautiful.
But to say there is nothing as good as taking the ferry to St. John is
somewhat of an exageration. Have you ever been to Sapphire Beach on St.
Thomas? I have been to Sapphire and it is a very good beach.

--
Charles

Old September 16th, 2003, 03:58 AM
Charles

In article , Tom & Linda
wrote:

I don't think National Geographic said that Trunk Bay was a very good
beach.

They said it was one of the top 10 beaches in the world.

Where and when did they say it? And so what if they say it. That is one
magazines opinion. I have seen lots of lists of ten best beaches and
there are more than ten best beaches when you add them all up.

On the other hand... if you said Magen's Bay... you'd have a point.
Though I've heard that Magen's Bay is not as nice as it used to be.

Magen's is on many lists but I would not put it on a top ten list
because it is too crowded. I don't think I am making a point except you
can go to many great beaches in the Virgin Islands. You don't have to
go to the same beach every time in the Virgin Islands. I like a little
variation when there are so many good beaches. Last time I went to
Sapphire Beach. Some time I would like to check out Koki Beach. Next
time I might go to St. John. I like the ferry ride to St. Johns. I
prefer Hawknest Beach over Trunk Bay though and I have heard good
things about other beaches on St. John's.

--
Charles
Old September 16th, 2003, 12:02 PM
fradybunch

Well, as far as St. Thomas, we've been to Megan's Bay, Sapphire Beach, and
Trunk Bay, and I'd have to say, if you've never been to any of them, IMHO,
you must go to Megan's Bay, but get off the ship quick and get a taxi.
Because when ships are in port, it can get crowded. The beach is long, and
has beautiful white sand. Then, when you're done with the sun, catch a
taxi up to Mountaintop and look over Megan's Bay, and unforgettable view.
(and have one of their "famous" banana daiquiris, or my favorite up there,
the Bushwhacker!)

However, if snorkeling is your thing, then Megan's Bay is not the ticket. We
only saw a few fish there. I think Truck Bay is better for that.

Sandi