Food on Ships

Old September 14th, 2003, 08:36 PM
Rich and Kathy

Default Food on Ships

Most of the cruise lines we have sailed recently combine the soup/salad.
Celebrity, in our experience, has the most separate courses. It is just too
formal and lasts too long for us -- for every night.

"Howard Garland" wrote in message
Mason

All the cruise lines that I've been on have served five dinner courses.
Just my preference, but I like a full table setting and formally
served dinner every night when I'm cruising. For me, it's part of the
difference between cruising and not cruising.

Howard

Mason Barge wrote:
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:35:00 GMT, "sheree"
wrote:

i'd rather get the silverware for each course. the table is so full on
celebrity with all that silverware out!

Well. I'll try to explain it as I see it. Celebrity's dinner service
is "formal" and hearkens back to the days of greater elegance and
"socitey". Which gives rise to the old expression, almost
incomprehensible today, of "not knowing which fork to use." Also,
they will switch out silverware depending on what you order,
especially a steak knife or cocktail fork.

They also serve five courses -- appetizer, salad, soup, entree,
dessert, which has to be tops of any line.

Personally, I think they should retain this for formal nights only,
and go to a more basic silver service (five or six pieces instead of
11) and go to four courses, too. Dinner's just too damn long.

Mason Barge

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please

bring me some coffee."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Old September 14th, 2003, 08:51 PM
Charles

In article , Rich and
Kathy wrote:

Most of the cruise lines we have sailed recently combine the soup/salad.
Celebrity, in our experience, has the most separate courses. It is just too
formal and lasts too long for us -- for every night.

Which cruise lines were those? I have not yet encountered that yet. In
the last 24 months I have been on one RCI cruises, one Princess cruise
and three Celebrity cruises and they all had seperate soup and salad
course although I have choosen myself to skip one of those courses.

--
Charles
Old September 14th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Howard Garland

I have observed that soups and appetizers are sometimes listed under the
same heading some ship's menus but I can't remember which one's. I
guess it's because I (rudely) deliberately ignore the hint and order
both when I am so inclined. In any event, I've never experienced so
much as a raised eyebrow from a waiter when I do this.

Howard

Old September 14th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Mason Barge

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 15:51:00 -0400, Charles
wrote:

In article , Rich and
Kathy wrote:

Most of the cruise lines we have sailed recently combine the soup/salad.
Celebrity, in our experience, has the most separate courses. It is just too
formal and lasts too long for us -- for every night.

Which cruise lines were those? I have not yet encountered that yet. In
the last 24 months I have been on one RCI cruises, one Princess cruise
and three Celebrity cruises and they all had seperate soup and salad
course although I have choosen myself to skip one of those courses.

HAL does four course dinners, and it's great IMO. There is no big
formal change of course and you can get a couple of plates piled up,
but I think that's fun.

The waiters also seem less stressed out for some reason.

Another thing I wish Celebrity would eliminate is the dessert tray,
which is shared by waiters and again, you have to sit there while
every other table looks at it.

Old September 14th, 2003, 11:13 PM
Charles

In article , Mason Barge
wrote:

Another thing I wish Celebrity would eliminate is the dessert tray,
which is shared by waiters and again, you have to sit there while
every other table looks at it.

I like the dessert tray. I think that is a great feature on Celebrity.
It really helps choosing dessert.

--
Charles
Old September 15th, 2003, 12:12 AM
Jean O'Boyle

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

I like the dessert tray. I think that is a great feature on Celebrity.
It really helps choosing dessert.

Me too, Charles~~I like to see what I will get. First experienced this on
the Zenith.

--Jean

Old September 15th, 2003, 12:54 AM
Jeff Coudriet

I like looking at them too! Sometimes something sounds so good on the
menu, and then you look at it....

That doesn't stop me from ordering 3 desserts or more though! I just
like to choose carefully!

Jeff

Old September 15th, 2003, 01:13 AM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Jean O'Boyle wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

I like the dessert tray. I think that is a great feature on Celebrity.
It really helps choosing dessert.

Me too, Charles~~I like to see what I will get. First experienced this on
the Zenith.

Me three!! It was very nice seeing what they had, there were times the
description on the menu, didn't give us a clue.

sue

Old September 16th, 2003, 12:47 AM
Mason Barge

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 18:13:56 -0400, Charles
wrote:

In article , Mason Barge
wrote:

Another thing I wish Celebrity would eliminate is the dessert tray,
which is shared by waiters and again, you have to sit there while
every other table looks at it.

I like the dessert tray. I think that is a great feature on Celebrity.
It really helps choosing dessert.

Yeah, I think everyone likes to see the desserts. But on Celebrity
they now have one tray for like 12 tables, so you just sit there and
your waiter sweats bullets.

How about it they just bring the desserts up and serve them off the
trays?

Actually, in comparison, I like that way HAL does this, too. They set
the desserts out when you enter so you can see them all you want.