Internal South African flights

Old April 29th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Ann B.

Default Internal South African flights

I'm wondering if it is cheaper to purchase airline tickets for trips
within South Africa before leaving the US, or wait until there to buy
the tickets?

I'm considering 2 flights: Capetown to Durban, then Durban to Joburg.
Fares on the US site of SAA seem high, while on the SA site of SAA
seem quite reasonable, but can't be purchased on line without a
SA-issued credit card. Does this mean that those good fares wouldn't
be available to me (a US citizen) once in SA?

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers,
Ann

To email: replace 'REMOVE' with 'b' in email address.
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Jim Ley

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:47:53 GMT, Ann B.
wrote:

I'm wondering if it is cheaper to purchase airline tickets for trips
within South Africa before leaving the US, or wait until there to buy
the tickets?

I'm considering 2 flights: Capetown to Durban, then Durban to Joburg.
Fares on the US site of SAA seem high, while on the SA site of SAA
seem quite reasonable, but can't be purchased on line without a
SA-issued credit card. Does this mean that those good fares wouldn't
be available to me (a US citizen) once in SA?

I bought internal flights happily from a travel agent within SA when I
was there, there's probably a good chance a local TA would be able to
help you out before you arrived too.

Jim.
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Lars Onsager Stordal

"Jim Ley" skrev i melding
wrote:

I'm wondering if it is cheaper to purchase airline tickets for trips
within South Africa before leaving the US, or wait until there to buy
the tickets?

I'm considering 2 flights: Capetown to Durban, then Durban to Joburg.
Fares on the US site of SAA seem high, while on the SA site of SAA
seem quite reasonable, but can't be purchased on line without a
SA-issued credit card. Does this mean that those good fares wouldn't
be available to me (a US citizen) once in SA?

I bought internal flights happily from a travel agent within SA when I
was there, there's probably a good chance a local TA would be able to
help you out before you arrived too.

Jim.

Check with kulula.com. They are an south african no-frills airline and offer
fares that compare even with busses and trains on the same routes. As far as
I know they are non-ticket and you can only make bookings through their
website.

Lars