Internet-Provider

Old February 10th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Jochen Michel

Default Internet-Provider

Hello,

my girlfriend will be in Melbourne for approx. 6 month from now on. I
would like to stay in contact with her with Skype (www.skype.com) and
MSN, ICQ etc. So she needs an internet connection.
She told me that's not that easy to find a flat/room with broadband
internet flatrate (which is standard in many student flats in
central/northern europe).

So the question is: Does anyone know a cheap internet provider in
Melbourne/Australia? I just looked at some homepages of australian
internet providers and they only offered contracts with a term of 12 or
24 months - which is to much for a stay of 6 month.
Another question: When you find an internet provider at a reasonable
price do you still have to get a cable access (DSL or something
equivalent) from a telephone company. This would imply extra costs and
again the problem to be able to cancel the contract after 6 month...

I would very much appreciate any hints in this issue!

Thanks,
Jochen
Old February 11th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Tops

Hi,

You may also find this site useful:

http://www.aussiemove.com/aus/internet.asp

or

http://www.cynosure.com.au/isp

Tops

Old February 11th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Ross

Dodo.com.au is one cheap provider but I don't know how it rates. Each time
I have been there is stutters along. But at less than AUD 10 per month I
guess you can be choosy.

I use TPG.com.au who is one of those rare ISPs who provide a "full" service
of home page, news groups, multi-mailboxes etc. for less that AUD 17 per
month (payable three months in advance by credit card only). I guess after
six months you can just pull the plug.

Ross

Old February 11th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Kerry

[...]

I've not tried this company, but it looks like a good deal. I plan to try
them next time I go on the road here in Oz
http://www.telpacific.com.au/

Kerry

Old February 16th, 2005, 12:51 AM
John Childs

Hi,

Have a look at this site:

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

Unfortunately for short term connections your set-up fee and ADSL modem
will probably exceed the six month connection fees.

John