Why do you cruise?

Old October 5th, 2007, 06:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ike

Default Why do you cruise?

LeeNY wrote:
On Sep 22, 2:52 pm, Ike wrote:

food - you'll never eat better than on a cruise - period!

You need to get out more.

I think that considering the three meals a day, one would be
hard-pressed to "eat better" than on a cruise. For example, in
NYC one can have street bagels in the morning, a pastrami lunch
at the Carnegie Deli, and Wolfgang's steaks for supper - that
constitutes superb fare that is hard to equal. But that's a menu
for one day... On cruises that we've been on, it's at that level
or higher three meals a day, for the duration of the cruise.

And when you consider the price, it's a super buy. For example,
a "deuce" (porterhouse for two) at Wolfgang's is about $200 with
goodies, and many cruises can be bought for that for each day
including "hotel" and destinations.

Ike
Old October 5th, 2007, 06:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 08:39:27 -0400, Cruise Crazy wrote:

~~DORIS~~
**________*/*/___/*/___/*/_________
*\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My boat's bigger, move over.

__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old October 5th, 2007, 06:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Oct 5, 1:22 pm, Ike wrote:
LeeNY wrote:
On Sep 22, 2:52 pm, Ike wrote:

food - you'll never eat better than on a cruise - period!

You need to get out more.

I think that considering the three meals a day, one would be
hard-pressed to "eat better" than on a cruise. For example, in
NYC one can have street bagels in the morning, a pastrami lunch
at the Carnegie Deli, and Wolfgang's steaks for supper - that
constitutes superb fare that is hard to equal. But that's a menu
for one day... On cruises that we've been on, it's at that level
or higher three meals a day, for the duration of the cruise.

And when you consider the price, it's a super buy. For example,
a "deuce" (porterhouse for two) at Wolfgang's is about $200 with
goodies, and many cruises can be bought for that for each day
including "hotel" and destinations.

Ike

I guess I misinterpreted your statement, "you'll never eat better than
on a cruise". Is what you really meant, "you'll never eat better than
on a cruise, for the money"? And, I guess our definition of what is
"superb fare that is hard to equal" is also up for debate. Bagels are
great, but I'd never put them in the category of "superb fare". Deli,
too, is wonderful...but wouldn't be classified as superb fare in my
book. And if I'm going out for the best steak in NYC? Peter Luger
would be the choice. No argument that you get a huge bang for your
buck, fodd-wise, on a cruise ship. But, there's no way that any of the
food I've had on any of the ships I've been on has come close to the
best food I've had on land. Cruises do a great job of cranking out the
quantity of food that they do, at a reasonably consistently good
quality, considering the budgetary restrictions they have to work
within. My husband is one who is wowed by quantity, less so by
presentation, quality and taste. I'm all about preparation and flavor
- it's a subjective thing, which is why it's hard to make a statement
like "you'll never eat better...".

Lee

Old October 5th, 2007, 06:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
clint

I can air out the cow and get drunk and hide(we are both seniors)
"Anonymouse" wrote in message
. ..

Just wondering...

What is your #1 reason for cruising, as opposed to land touring?

~Anka

It is the best lazy "I don't gotta think about nuthin'" vacation going!!!
And the scenery moves when you look at it, lol...

Hi,

I'm considering a cruise myself so this is an interesting thread.

I've been a big fan of the jamaican AI resorts myself... everything is NO
PROBLEM -and- there's no extra bill at the end to cover the stuff I did...
if I want a bottle of champagne to go with breakfast at
Couples/Sandals/etc it's No Problem... voila champagne and 2 glasses to go
with breakfast...

horseback riding? sure no problem, they leave at 1:30 after lunch...

sailing? sure no problem, check out a hobbie cat at beach sports.

scuba? no problem, morning and afternoon dives...

and I'm a big fan of the blender drinks... I'd hate to see my "tab" after
a week on the beach in Negril at $5 a Hummingbird!

Old October 5th, 2007, 08:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ike

LeeNY wrote:
And if I'm going out for the best steak in NYC? Peter Luger
would be the choice.

I won't disagree with anything you've said. My point is that
most of us eat three meals a day, and it would be difficult to
find another scenario where three meals would surpass the fare
aboard a good cruise ship. Ashore, you'd have to pick three
venues, and choose carefully.

*******************
Regarding PL... We've eaten there many times over the decades,
at least once on every visit to the City -- but no more.
Wolfgang Meisner (Maitre de for a long, long time) broke away
from PL, taking secrets, relationships, sources, and staff - and
with virtually infinite funding opened his own place.

The original Peter Luger is across the Williamsburg Bridge in a
neighborhood where everyone carries a gun. It's an ugly place,
but the steaks are incredible (so says every reviewer, but I
only learned that a few years ago). I've taken a lot of people
there, and always apologize with "...but wait till you taste
your steak!"

Wolfgang's, on the other hand, is at 4 Park Ave., with vaulted
tiled ceilings, and wonderful elegance. Price is the same. Food
is the same (really!). Service is infinitely better. The cellar
is superior. Order a Deuce. Get the bacon. Do Wolfgang's salad.
Lie about your dog and take that packet to your hotel...

And I understand there's now one in Tribeca, and more to come.

No more PL for me.

Old October 5th, 2007, 09:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On Oct 5, 3:26 pm, Ike wrote:

Wolfgang's, on the other hand, is at 4 Park Ave., with vaulted
tiled ceilings, and wonderful elegance. Price is the same. Food
is the same (really!). Service is infinitely better. The cellar
is superior. Order a Deuce. Get the bacon. Do Wolfgang's salad.
Lie about your dog and take that packet to your hotel...

I don't want to take one iota away from the steaks there ... but with
the crab cakes and tuna ... that restaurant can give new meaning to
surf and turf ... get both and share ...

Proves that great quality can really go far ...

Old October 5th, 2007, 09:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ike

number6 wrote:
On Oct 5, 3:26 pm, Ike wrote:

Wolfgang's, on the other hand, is at 4 Park Ave., with vaulted
tiled ceilings, and wonderful elegance. Price is the same. Food
is the same (really!). Service is infinitely better. The cellar
is superior. Order a Deuce. Get the bacon. Do Wolfgang's salad.
Lie about your dog and take that packet to your hotel...

I don't want to take one iota away from the steaks there ... but with
the crab cakes and tuna ... that restaurant can give new meaning to
surf and turf ... get both and share ...

Proves that great quality can really go far ...

Here's a true story...

While typing that note a little while ago, someone called about
the XXX meeting in NYC, and asked "Who should we send?" Without
even thinking, I said "I'll go". Flashing across my mind were
images of Wolfgang's, The Carnegie Deli, Piccolo Venezia, Mary's
Fish Camp, WD-50, Chinatown, streetdogs and other mystery meat,
bagels done right at 6AM. The decision had nothing to do with
business - it was all about food!

And as good as such food can be in the City, I'm looking forward
to our November cruise with even more enthusiasm.

Ike
Old October 6th, 2007, 08:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
barbara h davis

TO BE SPOILED ROTTEN

Old October 7th, 2007, 04:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dory Samuels

Any of the reason already mentioned plus NO POLITICS

~~DORY~~
**________*/*/___/*/___/*/_________
*\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

****

Old October 7th, 2007, 05:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ike

There are certain subjects that should be avoided in shipboard
chats, and we receive pointers from the military. Traditionally,
among U.S. Navy (and Marine Corps) officers, three topics are
taboo in the dining room: religion, sex (in history, "ladies"),
and POLITICS.

Dory Samuels wrote:
Any of the reason already mentioned plus NO POLITICS

~~DORY~~