Alaska Cruise Advice for 1st Cruise.

Old October 13th, 2003, 08:23 PM
James Keith

Default Alaska Cruise Advice for 1st Cruise.

An Alaska cruise is now currently #1 my short list as a 35th
Anniversary present for my wife. Some input from veteran cruisers
would be appreciated.

My concerns a

1. Vancouver or Seattle. We will be visiting friends for a few days
after the cruise. They live in Oak Harbor on Whidby Island north of
Seattle. My mapping program shows driving distance to be almost
exactly the same distance from either embarkation point. If
Vancouver, are there any special concerns about renting a car in
Vancouver and driving it cross border and back.

2. Weather: Our anniversary is 13 June. We have lived south of
Miami, Florida for the past 20 years, so our winter wardbrobe is
non-existent. Suggestions for a 7 day wardrobe that will probably
never be worn again. Of course, if Alaska cruises are as addictive as
I have been told then the wardrobe may be reused..

3. Cruise Lines. Any to avoid. My wife and I are very informal. If
I could cruise and still enjoy the amenities onboard without even
taking a jacket/tie, I would be happy.

4. Cabin selection. What to avoid and what to pick? Other then cost
what are the pros/cons of balconies? Does portside or starboard
matter as to viewing opportunities?

5. Excursions and/or "walkabouts" at ports: If you only had one
excursion to take what would it be? Any particulars concerning
self-guided walks about towns.

BTW: My original #1 choice was a Panama Canal cruise originating in
San Diego and ending in Miami. Tour dates available did not coincide
with our anniversay but one tour in within a month and is still being
considered.

Old October 13th, 2003, 09:48 PM
Becca

3. Cruise Lines. Any to avoid. My wife and I are very informal.

Try cruising on Princess, they have Personal Choice dining. You can
also eat dinner at the buffet, which is casual.

Happy Anniversary.

Becca -----enjoy your cruise...

GGC http://www.ggc2004.com/
Norwegian Dawn http://www.cruisemaster.com/dawn.htm
Sleazy3 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm
MOAGC http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com/
Old October 13th, 2003, 10:40 PM
sheree

If you go out of seattle, there's a short stop in VIctoria and lot shorter
port times in Alaska.

Our of Vancouver there's many more ships and options. You can also take a
ferry from Vancouver to Seattle after the trip which is very nice

a polartec type jacket would probably be fine in June. Long pants, maybe
sports pants type and sneakers also worked fine for us.

--
Sheree

Old October 14th, 2003, 03:13 AM
John Wilson

James Keith wrote:
An Alaska cruise is now currently #1 my short list as a 35th
Anniversary present for my wife. Some input from veteran cruisers
would be appreciated.

My concerns a

1. Vancouver or Seattle. We will be visiting friends for a few days
after the cruise. They live in Oak Harbor on Whidby Island north of
Seattle. My mapping program shows driving distance to be almost
exactly the same distance from either embarkation point. If
Vancouver, are there any special concerns about renting a car in
Vancouver and driving it cross border and back.

We've rented cars in Vancouver for one-way rentals to Seattle on a
couple occasions, and were always able to find a car without a drop
charge. The border crossing was no sweat, but I have no idea what it's
like post 9/11. I'd call Vancouver-Oak Harbor of Seattle-Oak Harbor
about a push.

2. Weather: Our anniversary is 13 June. We have lived south of
Miami, Florida for the past 20 years, so our winter wardbrobe is
non-existent. Suggestions for a 7 day wardrobe that will probably
never be worn again. Of course, if Alaska cruises are as addictive as
I have been told then the wardrobe may be reused..

June's about the best time to go to Alaska; it gets rainier as you get
toward fall. You'll want warm clothes, though, because any decent Alaska
cruise spends several hours parked in front of one or more glaciers
watching them calve off icebergs and such. At that point, you're
floating in salted icewater, right in front of a river of ice. Whatever
time of year, it'll be cold (except once a couple years ago on Regal
Princess, when it was about 80. This was serious cognitive dissonance;
everybody flaked out around the pool in their swimsuits, with the ship
right at the glacier. I told the Captain later that it was the best
Carribbean cruise I ever had in Alaska.)

3. Cruise Lines. Any to avoid. My wife and I are very informal. If
I could cruise and still enjoy the amenities onboard without even
taking a jacket/tie, I would be happy.

Don't go for Crystal; three or four formal nights in a 10-day to
two-week cruise.

4. Cabin selection. What to avoid and what to pick? Other then cost
what are the pros/cons of balconies?

Pro: the view. What the balcony really buys you is that the outside wall
of your room is mostly glass, as opposed to a window or porthole, so the
view is way better even if you never set foot outside.

Con: other than cost, none.

Does portside or starboard
matter as to viewing opportunities?

No.

5. Excursions and/or "walkabouts" at ports: If you only had one
excursion to take what would it be? Any particulars concerning
self-guided walks about towns.

In Juneau, take the Mount Robertson Tram up to the top of the hill. The
Tlingkit Indians run a truly nifty park up there, with hiking trails and
spectacular views. There are also a number of shuttle buses that take
you to the Mendenhall Glacier for a lot less than typical ship's tours.
They typically run every half hour, so you can hang around at the
glacier as long as you want.

In Skagway, the White Pass & Yukon train is mandatory. (Of course, we're
train nuts, so we're a bit prejudiced here.) If you can go as far as
Lake Bennett, do it. Most ship tours only go to White Pass, which is
still a nice trip, but beyond the Pass, the country is completely
different, though still spectacularly beautiful.

Victoria is a beautiful town to just ramble around in. A taxi from the
pier downtown costs about the same for two people as the shuttle buses
that serve the ships. Have them take you to the Empress, and just amble
from there. Afternoon tea at the Empress is The Big Deal, and is a lot
of fun, though it's easy to spoil your dinner that way; too much
irresistable stuff. If you dig flowers, one of the tours to Buchart
Garden would be worth doing. If you hook up with another couple, you can
probably do ok hiring a taxi for this, and get a bit more flexibility
that way.

We've done both seaplane and helicopter air tours; a helicopter tour
from Juneau that landed on the Mendenhall icefield, and a couple of
seaplane tours from Ketchikan. The seaplane tours are more comfortable
than the helicopters; they cram people into the helos like sardines.

BTW: My original #1 choice was a Panama Canal cruise originating in
San Diego and ending in Miami. Tour dates available did not coincide
with our anniversay but one tour in within a month and is still being
considered.

73,
JohnW

Old October 14th, 2003, 01:36 PM
JLeary256

In Juneau, take the Mount Robertson Tram up to the top of the hill. The

For clarification it is Mt. Roberts.
Old October 14th, 2003, 01:38 PM
JLeary256

Our of Vancouver there's many more ships and options. You can also take a
ferry from Vancouver to Seattle after the trip which is very nice

No single ferry- and the 2 ferries required aren't that easy. As you need
transportation from Swartz Bay to Victoria, bus is my last choice and I always
take a car, and the Victoria Clipper to Seattle is passenger only- no
vehicles.
Old October 14th, 2003, 01:52 PM
JLeary256

I am many time Alaska visitor, there are plenty of options that you need to
determine what is right for you. I'll assume you are looking for a round trip
Alaska cruise???

Vancouver or Seattle.

Definately Vancouver for the more inside sailing, most Victoria stops on the
Seattle trips are lacking and not enough time for much of anything. Very easy
for one way car rentals- I have done it many many times. You will want a
downtown Vancouver pick up /drop off however and NOT the airport. Check out
Hertz, National, Avis, Budget. Expect rates around $80+/day.

Weather is always a gamble on Alaska cruises- don't even bother to try and
predict. Layers are the key with rain gear. Knit hats and gloves are
necessary - but can be purchased in port. 2 pair of walking shoes, make do
with your wardrobe, I'm sure you have some sweatshirts and a lined nylon
jacket???

No cruise lines to avoid- but be very informed about priorities of glacier,
time in ports, route. You can eat in the alt dining, most all ships have this
type of dining. and nonformal nights in the dining room is ok with polo shirts
etc.

Cabin selection. What to avoid and what to pick? Other then cost
what are the pros/cons of balconies? D

I am one who spends my money on costly excursions- and always get a cheap
inside cabin- I had an outside once- I was totally unsatified with only 50% of
the views. Do get out on deck during your glacier sailing, I was shocked
that my Sun cruise starboard passengers got NO VIEW of Grand Pacific /Majorie
glacier.

Excursions and/or "walkabouts" at ports: If you only had one
excursion to take what would it be? Any particulars concerning

This is a place not to skimp and don't miss out on the excellent opportunities.
This isn't a place to just wander the ports, there is so much more. I never
recommend not having plans and reservations in advance. It is a waste of time
to just get off your ship- then decide- choices will be very limited. I would
get an inside cabin before I would give up flights etc. I never book any ship
excursions and always direct with the venders- better tours and less "cattle
herding". You also have more contact with the locals and smaller groups. The
best of the best - in my opinion- a glacier helicopter landing.
Old October 14th, 2003, 01:54 PM
JLeary256

Cruise Lines. Any to avoid

I guess I do have some to avoid- RCI for their full front blue windscreens.
Very distorting for an avid marine wildlife watcher like myself. Also on some
HAL and Princess ships. I avoid them like the plague. But it would bother few
others.