Paradise and Ecstasy to reposition

Old December 12th, 2003, 11:31 PM
Gordon

Default Paradise and Ecstasy to reposition

Paradise to lose 'non smoking" status.

Press Release Source: Carnival Cruise Lines

Carnival to Reposition 'Fun Ship' Paradise to Long Beach to Operate Three-
and Four-Day Baja Cruises in Oct. 2004
Friday December 12, 5:08 pm ET
2,052-Passenger SuperLiner to Become West Coast's Newest Short Cruise Option

MIAMI, Dec. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- Carnival Cruise Lines' 2,052-passenger "Fun
Ship" Paradise will begin year-round three- and four-day cruises from Long
Beach, Calif., in Sept. 20, 2004, becoming the newest cruise ship to ever
operate short cruises from the West Coast.

The Paradise assumes this route from the 2,052-passenger Ecstasy, which will
be repositioned to Galveston to launch four- and five-day Mexico cruises in
Oct. 2004.

"We are very enthused to introduce the Paradise to the West Coast market on
three- and four-day Baja cruises," said Bob Dickinson, Carnival president
and CEO. "This is a truly elegant, beautifully appointed vessel offering a
wide variety of on-board facilities and features, along with stunning
interiors that pay homage to the world's most famous ocean liners. The
Paradise certainly represents an enticing option for consumers seeking an
affordable, quality cruise vacation option from the West Coast."

Dickinson indicated that the Paradise, which has operated since its
introduction in 1998 as a smoke-free vessel, will no longer retain that
designation. "When we analyzed our redeployment strategy, the Paradise,
based on its size and attributes, was the obvious choice to offer a fresh
new short cruise alternative from California. And, with only one ship
operating that program, we could not limit it to non-smokers," he said.

Year-Round Three- and Four-Day Baja Cruises

Beginning Sept. 20, 2004, the 70,000-ton Paradise will begin year-round
three- and four-day cruises from Long Beach, becoming the newest ship to
ever operate short cruises from the West Coast.

On this route, three-day cruises depart Long Beach on Fridays and call at
Ensenada, Mexico, while four-day cruises depart Mondays and call at both
Ensenada and Catalina Island.

Special 15-Day Panama Canal Cruise

Prior to the start-up of its new program, the Paradise will operate a
special one-time 15-day Panama Canal repositioning cruise departing Miami
Sept. 5, and arriving in Long Beach on Sept. 20, 2004. Featured ports will
include Aruba, prior to the Panama Canal transit, along with Puntarenas,
Costa Rica; and Acapulco, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. This will be
the last cruise the Paradise will offer as a non-smoking vessel.

Variety of "Resort-Style" Features

The 70,000-ton SuperLiner Paradise, which entered service in November 1998,
offers a wide range of signature "Fun Ship" amenities, including three
restaurants -- two formal dining rooms and an expansive casual poolside
eatery -- along with a 2,500-square-foot indoor play area, part of the
top-rated "Camp Carnival" program.

A dozen lounges and bars with interiors inspired by the great ships of
yesteryear are also featured. Sample rooms include the Queen Mary lounge,
the Normandie show lounge, and the Rex dance club.

Other features include a 12,000-square-foot health club, a duty-free
shopping mall, an Internet cafe, and a comprehensive golf program offering
professional instruction both aboard ship and during golf excursions.

Pricing and Reservations

Carnival will begin accepting reservations on the Paradise's new cruise
program next week.

Prices for the Paradise's three- and four-day Baja cruises from Long Beach
start at $299 per person. The ship's 15-day Panama Canal cruise begins at
$1,099 per person.

The cruises can also be purchased through Carnival's "Fun Finance Plan
(SM)," which enables consumers to extend their cruise payments over
24-monthly installments. Certain restrictions apply.

Round-trip air transportation supplements from a variety of North American
gateways and special rates for third and fourth guests sailing in the same
stateroom are also available.

For additional information and reservations, contact any travel agent, call
1-800 CARNIVAL, or visit carnival.com.

Old December 12th, 2003, 11:33 PM
Ali's Daddie

"Gordon" wrote in message news:5bsCb.8729

| The Paradise assumes this route from the 2,052-passenger Ecstasy, which
will
| be repositioned to Galveston to launch four- and five-day Mexico cruises
in
| Oct. 2004.

YIPEE! Ecstasy has always been one of my favorite ships, and now it's gonna
be at what will become the easiest departure port for us :-D

Looks like I will actually get to take her. Because the 3 and 4 day Baja
Mexico cruise has never interested me lol... But I could probably do Western
Caribbean on a monthly basis (at least til I discover South American and
Mediterranean cruising lol)

--
LES!

To send me an email, please remove Your Hat
YourHatDaddie @ bonbon.net

Old December 12th, 2003, 11:46 PM
Howard Garland

Ali's Daddie wrote:

YIPEE! Ecstasy has always been one of my favorite ships, and now it's gonna
be at what will become the easiest departure port for us :-D

Thought you've never cruised Les. Is is just one of your favorites
because of what you've read about the ship?

Howie - confused, which is nothing new.

Old December 12th, 2003, 11:48 PM
Ali's Daddie

"Howard Garland" wrote in message

| Ali's Daddie wrote:
|
| YIPEE! Ecstasy has always been one of my favorite ships, and now it's
gonna
| be at what will become the easiest departure port for us :-D
|
| Thought you've never cruised Les. Is is just one of your favorites
| because of what you've read about the ship?
|
| Howie - confused, which is nothing new.

I have always liked the look. Plus it was the first ship in its class who's
interior decor I saw... maybe it has changed since then, but the neon caught
my eye as terribly gaudy, but somehow fun and whimsical... It sorta helped
(as did some of Carnival's older ships) feed and encourage my addiction lol

Ok, so I'm a little warped to have favorite ships even though I've never
cruised, but hey... that's me lol

I have lots of "Favorites" on my list, for various reasons.

Old December 13th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Asya Kamsky

In article ,
Ali's Daddie wrote:
I have always liked the look. Plus it was the first ship in its class who's
interior decor I saw... maybe it has changed since then, but the neon caught
my eye as terribly gaudy, but somehow fun and whimsical... It sorta helped
(as did some of Carnival's older ships) feed and encourage my addiction lol

Oh, it most certainly hasn't changed. It is still decorated like
an LSD trip visual effects

Bummer about the Paradise become just another ship. Guess there's
not much reason to go on Carnival now that they won't have a non-smoking
ship anymore...

--
Asya Kamsky

In our society, you can state your views, but they have to be correct.
--- Ernie Hai, coordinator Singapore Gov't Internet Project
Old December 13th, 2003, 12:05 AM
Howard Garland

Ali's Daddie wrote:

I have always liked the look. Plus it was the first ship in its class who's
interior decor I saw... maybe it has changed since then, but the neon caught
my eye as terribly gaudy, but somehow fun and whimsical... It sorta helped
(as did some of Carnival's older ships) feed and encourage my addiction lol

Ok, so I'm a little warped to have favorite ships even though I've never
cruised, but hey... that's me lol

That's ok, dude. Welcome to the "little warped club." Actually both
Eileen and I adore Neon. When we lived in Texas, we designed and built a
neon sculpture within a huge skylight. The Carnival Fantasy, which we
did take many years ago, had an awesome neon display, with colors
constantly changing. Just watching the change was truly psychedelic.

Howie

Old December 13th, 2003, 12:42 AM
Eileen Garland

Asya Kamsky wrote:

Bummer about the Paradise become just another ship. Guess there's
not much reason to go on Carnival now that they won't have a non-smoking
ship anymore...

I think it's really too bad; I thought it was good to offer non-smokers
a ship of their own.

The Oceania ships are pretty much non-smoking.

Eileen

Old December 13th, 2003, 03:18 AM

Paradise is becoming non smoking?

THAT STINKS!! ( literally )

Carnival has lost my business.
Guess I'll cruise no more.

Old December 13th, 2003, 04:51 AM
E.k.R.

This move makes absolutely no sense to me, and usually any moves by Carnival
are very well calculated. When one ship is repositioned and replaced by
another, usually the replacement ship has a higher or lower capacity which
is the reason for the ship repositioning to begin with. For instance
replacing a smaller Fantasy Class with a larger Destiny or Spirit Class. Or
reducing capacity by substituting a Holiday Class ship. Basically, matching
demand with capacity.

The ECSTASY and PARADISE are both Fantasy Class ships, basically identical
except for decor, and both carry the same amount of passengers. Why bother
sending both ships through the Panama Canal on an exchange mission? A much
easier solution would have been to leave ECSTASY where she is (she is more
suited to 3/4 day cruises anyway based on her decor) and send PARADISE to
Galveston. This way only one ship would have to be repositioned and not a
very far distance.

The only logical reason I can think of for exchanging these ships is that
putting PARADISE on short cruises makes a convenient excuse for Carnival to
remove the non-smoking status. I can't fathom why else this move makes any
economic sense.

Ernie