Best beach place to stay for a few days in California?

Old June 6th, 2006, 08:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Best beach place to stay for a few days in California?

Hi everyone,

I'll be driving from LA to San Francisco (H-1) this June with my wife and I was
wondering which place would you recommend for stopping by and relaxing for few
days. I'm looking for something not too crowded, with a nice beach and
a camping place, where you can stay for like 3 days without suffering from the
crowds and not get bored at the same time.

Thanks for any advices,

-marek
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article ,
Marek Zawadzki wrote:
I'll be driving from LA to San Francisco (H-1) this June with my
wife and I was wondering which place would you recommend for
stopping by and relaxing for few days. I'm looking for something
not too crowded, with a nice beach and a camping place, where you
can stay for like 3 days without suffering from the crowds and not
get bored at the same time.

Beach plus camping == crowds

That said, I will suggest Pismo State Beach.

Old June 6th, 2006, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 2006-06-06, Todd Michel McComb wrote:
[...]
Beach plus camping == crowds

That said, I will suggest Pismo State Beach.

Thanks. In case I'd decide not to camp, am I doomed to pay 150 a night or
maybe someone can recommend a beach place where motels are less expensive?

-marek
Old June 6th, 2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 6 Jun 2006 12:17:09 -0700, Todd Michel McComb wrote:

In article ,
Marek Zawadzki wrote:
I'll be driving from LA to San Francisco (H-1) this June with my
wife and I was wondering which place would you recommend for
stopping by and relaxing for few days. I'm looking for something
not too crowded, with a nice beach and a camping place, where you
can stay for like 3 days without suffering from the crowds and not
get bored at the same time.

Beach plus camping == crowds

That said, I will suggest Pismo State Beach.

camping usually == assigned camping spots. The crowding will be the
same assuming that all the spaces are sold. A lot of the spaces will
sell out before the summer even arrives.
Old June 6th, 2006, 10:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 21:25:55 +0000 (UTC), Marek Zawadzki

On 2006-06-06, Todd Michel McComb wrote:
[...]
Beach plus camping == crowds

That said, I will suggest Pismo State Beach.

Thanks. In case I'd decide not to camp, am I doomed to pay 150 a night or
maybe someone can recommend a beach place where motels are less expensive?

You might check out Avila Beach.

Actually, if you want a fun time, try Santa Cruz, which has a
good beach and a coastside amusement park, and a municipal pier
with some interesting restaurants and lots of sea lions lolling
about underneath.

Old June 6th, 2006, 11:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 2006-06-06, Todd Michel McComb wrote:
[...]
Beach plus camping == crowds

That said, I will suggest Pismo State Beach.

Thanks. In case I'd decide not to camp, am I doomed to pay 150 a night or
maybe someone can recommend a beach place where motels are less expensive?

You want beautiful beaches and cheap hotel prices? I am afraid those
two are pretty mutually exclusive. That said Pismo beach is a great
suggestion.

-marek

Old June 7th, 2006, 12:14 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article ,
Marek Zawadzki wrote:
In case I'd decide not to camp, am I doomed to pay 150 a night or
maybe someone can recommend a beach place where motels are less
expensive?

You did a bit of a search, I guess? Anyway, Pismo Beach (the town)
is full of small motels with no ocean view. If it's an uneventful
weekday, you should be able to show up and find something well under
$150... like half, in my experience. A nice, ocean view type of
place, yes, the rate is about $150. There are some really nice
ones. You can't go wrong with the Kon Tiki, if you want to pay.

That said, the cheapest place to stay near a beach in that stretch
should be Seaside/Sand City. Elegant, it is not.

Old June 7th, 2006, 01:27 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Marek Zawadzki wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'll be driving from LA to San Francisco (H-1) this June with my wife and I was
wondering which place would you recommend for stopping by and relaxing for few
days. I'm looking for something not too crowded, with a nice beach and
a camping place, where you can stay for like 3 days without suffering from the
crowds and not get bored at the same time.

Thanks for any advices,

-marek

I would consider myself lucky to stay anywhere near the beach between
LA and SF in June for less than $150/night (not camping). All decent
beach campspots fill up as soon as the parks allow reservations.
Because schools in CA don't get out until mid June typically, the
crowds are not too bad. Southern CA beaches may have "June Gloom"
which means coastal fog most mornings, I cannot speak for the beaches
further north.

They are all beautiful: moving south to north (more or less):

Carpinteria
Santa Barbara
Pismo
Morrow Bay
Julia Pfeiffer
Big Sur
Point Lobos
Monterey
Half Moon Bay

Search and see what suits your style. Better yet, take a look at a
good map. The drive itself is worth the trip. 3 days is barely
enough; boredom should not be an issue.

I'm sure there are many more, and my geographic order may be off. This
however is a good planning start.

I recommend that you check out the california state parks site for
camping information, but be forewarned, "beach camping" may mean on a
cliff, or near a railroad track - be very thorough in your research if
you are tent camping.

Old June 7th, 2006, 03:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

LA to San Francisco ...with a nice beach...

Just wanted to mention that the northern end of that area (Monterey,
San Francisco, etc) has cooler weather that isn't ideal for swimming;
it can even be too cool for sunbathing sometimes. For example, in San
Francisco the average high in June is only 70 F; the average low is 53.

Jim

Old June 7th, 2006, 06:07 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote in message
oups.com...
LA to San Francisco ...with a nice beach...

Just wanted to mention that the northern end of that area (Monterey,
San Francisco, etc) has cooler weather that isn't ideal for swimming;
it can even be too cool for sunbathing sometimes. For example, in San
Francisco the average high in June is only 70 F; the average low is 53.

Jim

The Santa Cruz area beaches and surf are full of people from now to Fall.
Sun is usually hot and water cool but swimable.

Robert