Zion or Grand Canyon?

Old April 25th, 2007, 04:02 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill in Schenectady

Default Zion or Grand Canyon?

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 02:17:40 GMT, "Bill in Schenectady"
wrote:

Speaking of which, why do so many American resorts try to look like
something in Switzerland, Austria, Germany or some other European spot?
Why
not just be unique themselves.

I guess I've never been to American resorts. I can't think of any
resort town I've seen in the US that looks anything like Europe.

This winter, I was traveling through Vermont to do some cross country
skiing. The Vermont small towns maintain their charm as unique New
England
villages. We finally arrived at the Trapp Family Lodge which indeed has
great cross country skiing. But the buildings are all designed to look
like
the Austrian Alps. Yes, I know, the Trapp Family was from Austria and I
guess that was the original charm of the place. But now, it's overdone.
While it's in Vermont, I like the real Vermont better.

Maybe you specifically meant ski resorts?

Yes the ski resorts in particular try to do that. But you have a good
point. They don't REALLY look like anything in Europe. They merely pretend
to.

Old April 25th, 2007, 04:35 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"Bill in Schenectady" wrote:
Speaking of which, why do so many American resorts try to look
like something in Switzerland, Austria, Germany or some other
European spot? Why not just be unique themselves.

Yes the ski resorts in particular try to do that... They don't REALLY
look like anything in Europe. They merely pretend to.

One the more bizarre attempts is Helen, Georgia, in North Georgia.
Originally an old run-down mill town, it recast itself as an Bavarian
alpine villiage complete with street names like Eidelweiss Strasse,
an Octoberfest, and art-craft shops. Its saving grace is the nearby
Apalachian Trail and class IV+ rafting on the Chattooga River.=R=

Old April 25th, 2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mimi

"Rog'" wrote in message
.. .
"Bill in Schenectady" wrote:
Speaking of which, why do so many American resorts try to look
like something in Switzerland, Austria, Germany or some other
European spot? Why not just be unique themselves.

Yes the ski resorts in particular try to do that... They don't REALLY
look like anything in Europe. They merely pretend to.

One the more bizarre attempts is Helen, Georgia, in North Georgia.
Originally an old run-down mill town, it recast itself as an Bavarian
alpine villiage complete with street names like Eidelweiss Strasse,
an Octoberfest, and art-craft shops. Its saving grace is the nearby
Apalachian Trail and class IV+ rafting on the Chattooga River.=R=

Hmm, Helen sounds like Leavenworth, Washington. Except the latter is not an
old mill town, and it is up in the mountains (the snowy Cascades), with good
climbing nearby as well as the Wenatchee River for rafting.

Marianne

Old April 26th, 2007, 02:57 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill in Schenectady

"Mimi" wrote in message
. ..

"Rog'" wrote in message
.. .
"Bill in Schenectady" wrote:
[...]

Didn't Groucho Marx say something about a sentence of ten years in
Leavenworth or eleven years on Twelveworth?

Old April 26th, 2007, 03:14 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Yep: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0023969/quotes
--
Mark Brader "A clarification is not to make oneself clear.
Toronto It is to PUT oneself IN the clear."
Old May 13th, 2007, 01:13 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
WJ[_2_]

Toller wrote:
I am going to Las Vegas in July with my son. We have 1.5 days free at the
end and I was planning on going to the Grand Canyon; but I didn't realize
how far it was.
Zion is much closer. Is Zion sufficiently spectacular that I won't feel bad
about skipping the Grand Canyon?
I saw the Grand Canyon 40 years ago, and hopefully he will be back some day;
but still....

Thanks.

On a similar subject; we have a half day free at the beginning. I was
planning on going out to Red Rocks. Any alternatives that can be done in
half a day?

Maybe an air tour? To GC....air to Monument Valley...back to
GC...overnight at GC...back to Vegas the next day.
http://www.papillon.com/popris/show_...=73&lang=en-US
Old May 13th, 2007, 08:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dennis McClendon

Toller wrote:

Is Zion sufficiently spectacular that I won't
feel bad about skipping the Grand Canyon?

Yes.
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
VacationMamma

Instead of Red Rocks, go out and see the Hoover Dam - including the
tour.

Don't even think twice about going to Zion instead of the Grand
Canyon. Zion is a US treasure not to be missed and enjoyed
thoroughly. 1.5 days doesn't even do it justice. If you have time,
but I don't think you will, go to Bryce NP too! Enjoy.
Melinda