Zion or Grand Canyon?

Old April 19th, 2007, 05:46 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Toller

Default Zion or Grand Canyon?

"Caveat" wrote in message
"Toller" wrote:

How does it compare to Letchworth? (saw where you are from...)

Excuse my intrusion, but having been to both parks (used to live in
Rochester) I can assure you that there's no comparison. Letchworth is
small and leafy, whereas Zion is very large and desert-foliaged. Plus
Zion (as with most canyons in the SW) is carved out of colorful
sandstone. Very different.

I was kidding.
We call Letchworth the Grand Canyon of the East. I am sure no one else
does.

Old April 19th, 2007, 06:00 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Caveat

"Toller" wrote:

"Caveat" wrote in message
.. .
"Toller" wrote:

How does it compare to Letchworth? (saw where you are from...)

Excuse my intrusion, but having been to both parks (used to live in
Rochester) I can assure you that there's no comparison. Letchworth is
small and leafy, whereas Zion is very large and desert-foliaged. Plus
Zion (as with most canyons in the SW) is carved out of colorful
sandstone. Very different.

I was kidding.
We call Letchworth the Grand Canyon of the East. I am sure no one else
does.

I certainly hope not. A comparison with Zion is ludicrous enough, let
alone comparing Letchworth to the Grand Canyon. snicker

Old April 19th, 2007, 09:02 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
B Vaughan

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 04:46:29 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"Caveat" wrote in message
.. .
"Toller" wrote:

How does it compare to Letchworth? (saw where you are from...)

Excuse my intrusion, but having been to both parks (used to live in
Rochester) I can assure you that there's no comparison. Letchworth is
small and leafy, whereas Zion is very large and desert-foliaged. Plus
Zion (as with most canyons in the SW) is carved out of colorful
sandstone. Very different.

I was kidding.
We call Letchworth the Grand Canyon of the East. I am sure no one else
does.

In Pennsylvania, the Grand Canyon of the East is Pine Creek Gorge,
near Wellsboro.

Whenever you see "xxx of the yyy", where xxx is something spectacular
and yyy is some other place, you know there's no comparison. The
Venice of yyy, the Grand Canyon of yyy, the Champs Elysées of yyy,
etc.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old April 19th, 2007, 03:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mimi

"Toller" wrote in message
I am going to Las Vegas in July with my son. We have 1.5 days free at the
end and I was planning on going to the Grand Canyon; but I didn't realize
how far it was.
Zion is much closer. Is Zion sufficiently spectacular that I won't feel
bad about skipping the Grand Canyon?
I saw the Grand Canyon 40 years ago, and hopefully he will be back some
day; but still....

The North Rim of the Grand Canyon isn't too far, but the only lodgings are
those offered in the park, and they book up a year ahead time. Might be a
cancellation though.

As others have said, Zion is at the bottom of a much smaller canyon. Grand
Canyon you overlook or possibly hike down into.

Personally, I was most impressed by Bryce (also an overlook) and by the
intense colors of the hoodoos.

Marianne

Old April 19th, 2007, 03:44 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

We have 1.5 days free at the end and I was planning on going
to the Grand Canyon; but I didn't realize how far it was

The South Rim is roughly a six hour drive from Vegas, so if you get an
early start on day 1 you'll have the afternoon and evening at the
Canyon, and then will have to leave early on day 2.

You wouldn't have time to hike to the bottom and back, but you'd have
time to enjoy spectacular views at the overlooks, walk on the rim
trail if you wish, and maybe hike part way into the Canyon just to get
a taste of the experience.

we have a half day free at the beginning.
Any alternatives [to Red Rocks]

The most obvious alternative to Red Rocks is Valley of Fire, which I
think is more impressive. It's roughly a one-hour drive from Vegas, if
I remember correctly. You also might want to consider Hoover Dam,
which is close to Vegas and is well worth a visit.

James

Old April 21st, 2007, 04:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rod

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 13:59:01 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

Zion is much closer. Is Zion sufficiently spectacular that I won't feel bad
about skipping the Grand Canyon?

Just to add my 2p's worth as someone whose been to both a number of
times (though not recently). The GC is one of those places that you
should try to see at least once - but I've always had a soft spot for
Zion (+ Bryce). Somehow Zion just seems on a scale that my brain can
comprehend better. As others have mentioned, there are lots of
short-ish hikes in Zion and, although your not likely to be ever
truely "alone" in July, you dont need to wander far away from the main
road/bus stops to get a sense of having the place to yourself.

Never really had that feeling in the GC (though as others have
mentioned the North Rim is quieter) - though I guess if your serious
(+ fit) enough into hiking that might be different.

Rod
Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:57 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Icono Clast

Rod wrote:
The GC is one of those places that you should try to see at least
once . . . Somehow Zion just seems on a scale that my brain can
comprehend better.

The Grand Canyon's scale, to use your word, verges on the
incomprehensible, just as a light year. I believe neither words nor
pictures, painted or still or motion, can give a notion of its
reality. It simply MUST be seen for the slightest chance of belief.

Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Russell Patterson

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 10:35:40 -0400, Russell Patterson
wrote:

On 19 Apr 2007 07:44:19 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Definitely choose Valley of Fire over Red Rock Canyon, if you have
time for only one.

Take along bottled water. The visitor center does not sell it,
although they do have cold water in a fountain. I don't know if they
would let you fill a bottle up using the fountain.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sally[_1_]

Russell Patterson wrote in
:
Take along bottled water. The visitor center does not sell it,
although they do have cold water in a fountain. I don't know if they
would let you fill a bottle up using the fountain.

You should take lots of water with you any time you're travelling in the
desert, like a gallon or two per person.