Relocating from Texas

Old May 10th, 2007, 07:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jorn

Default Relocating from Texas

Hi,

Me and my wife (both early 30s) are planning to move out of Texas.
We are looking for a location with cooler summers than Texas.
Preferably either in or close to the mountains, and/or close to the ocean.
(we prefer mountains over the ocean, but we want one or the other; not just
flat land in the midwest)

Things we're looking for:
- mountain environment and/or ocean
- within 1 hour drive from a good sized city
- university/college town is always a plus; many young people means that
there's always something to do, and it keeps real estate prices affordable
- within 1 hour from a good sized airport (with service from the major
airlines)
- our budget to buy a house with a view, in a good area of town, is around
$200,000. Since we don't want to live in a dump, or spend hours in traffic,
California is out of the picture. Of course, depending on whether the state
has income tax or not, and depending on the height of the real estate tax,
this can buy more or less house.
In Austin, TX we can afford a $200,000 house. Texas has no state income tax,
but crazy high real estate taxes, which make the monthly mortgage payments a
lot higher compared to $200,000 houses in other states!

Cities we've found and are possibly interested in:
- Asheville, NC = seems affordable, lots of nice nature and mountains

What do you recommend or suggest?

Thanks.

Old May 10th, 2007, 08:17 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

On 2007-05-10 14:41:38 -0400, "Jorn" said:

Me and my wife (both early 30s) are planning to move out of Texas.

Good for you! What a grungy place.

Old May 10th, 2007, 08:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

On 2007-05-10 14:41:38 -0400, "Jorn" said:

we prefer mountains over the ocean

That's pretty hard to find.

Old May 10th, 2007, 08:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On 2007-05-10 14:41:38 -0400, "Jorn" said:

we prefer mountains over the ocean

That's pretty hard to find.

pioneer valley in massachusetts.....

3 hours to anywhere in VT, most of nh, boston an hour away, nyc 3
hours away...bradley airport an hour away....

college town, everything you are looking for, but moderate homes, at
least in amherst are in the low 300k's with most houses with a view
going for considerably more....

Chuck

Old May 10th, 2007, 11:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

On 2007-05-10 15:56:16 -0400, "

On 2007-05-10 14:41:38 -0400, "Jorn" said:

we prefer mountains over the ocean

That's pretty hard to find.

pioneer valley in massachusetts.....

Oh, really? It has mountains over the ocean?

Old May 10th, 2007, 11:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On 2007-05-10 15:56:16 -0400, "

On 2007-05-10 14:41:38 -0400, "Jorn" said:

we prefer mountains over the ocean

That's pretty hard to find.

pioneer valley in massachusetts.....

Oh, really? It has mountains over the ocean?

well it has hills over the ocean 80 miles east if you include the fill
for boston.....

Chuck

Old May 11th, 2007, 04:24 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Pat[_2_]

Willamette Valley in Oregon. One hour to the beach. One hour to the
mountains. Income tax and property tax. No sales tax.

. ..

Old May 11th, 2007, 07:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Nile

Jorn wrote:

Cities we've found and are possibly interested in:- Asheville, NC

I was thinking of Asheville as I read your description. Knoxville,
Tennessee, is another choice: college town in the mountains (but
further from the ocean).

Old May 11th, 2007, 12:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Icono Clast

Jorn wrote:
What do you recommend or suggest?

Get a grip on reality! If you can find a place to buy in the USA for
$200M that's located even approximately as you describe, it'll surely
be, in your words, "a dump".

Old May 11th, 2007, 01:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Sarah Banick

"Nile" wrote in message

Jorn wrote:

Cities we've found and are possibly interested in:- Asheville, NC

I was thinking of Asheville as I read your description. Knoxville,
Tennessee, is another choice: college town in the mountains (but
further from the ocean).

That's what I was thinking. Chattanooga might be another option, or
somewhere north of Atlanta but out of the metro area. (Dalton, Rome).