Budget Cancun, Maya Ruins Tours?

Old February 9th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Brian K

Default Budget Cancun, Maya Ruins Tours?

On 02/09/2004 1:54 PM Steve after palpating a Gingko, electronically
interjected:

Hello,

My wife and I are interested in visiting Tulum, Coba, Chichen Itza,
and Uxmal around May of this year.

Right now, we are looking for budget hotels and tours on the internet.
Any recommendations from recent travelers?

We just came back from a trip to Thailand, and most of the guest
houses in Chiang Mai offered cheap 1 day tours. Is it similar around
the Cancun area? Can we just book 1 day tours at the hotel/guesthouse
the night before?

Also, what is the bus system like?

Thanks!

Steve

You can book one day tours at the hotel but they won't be any cheaper.
Unless you are one to party all night skip Cancun entirely. You will
find smaller, more intimate less costly hotels in Playa del Carmen, or
Tulum (the town). If you don't mind roughing it you can even book a
cabaña just outside either of these towns.

For a budget tour get one of the many excellent books available on
Pre-columbian culture and ruins in the Yucatan from Barns & Noble or
Amazon.com then guide book in hand rent a car and see the ruins at your
leisure. You'll get better rental rates if you book in advance rather
than on the day you need a car.

Cancun is like an Americanized version of Mexico. The town didn't even
exist before the Mexican tourist board created it. You are much better
off avoiding it if you can.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.