Spain heading downwards

Old May 10th, 2010, 06:29 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Donwill[_2_]

Default Spain heading downwards

Just heard that Spain at present is spending twice as much as it's
earning. Apparently the Spanish government has no will to reduce
spending. It's a leaking bucket.
How long will it be before it's in the same state as Greece???
Don
Old May 10th, 2010, 06:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge121

Default Spain heading downwards and donwill asking travel questions

Oh you just heard, so you told yourself, nice travel topic, eh...

de discussion : ...

Old May 10th, 2010, 11:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Donwill[_2_]

On 10/05/2010 22:38, Tom P wrote:
Donwill wrote:
On 10/05/2010 06:35, Runge121 wrote:
Oh you just heard, so you told yourself, nice travel topic, eh...

"Donwill" a écrit dans le message
de groupe de discussion : ...
Just heard that Spain at present is spending twice as much as it's
earning. Apparently the Spanish government has no will to reduce
spending. It's a leaking bucket.
How long will it be before it's in the same state as Greece???
Don

Yes, just heard on UK Radio4 approx one hour ago, some spanish
professor from Madrid (San Pablo) commenting on Spain's fiscal
situation. It certainly does affect my travel plans as I visit
various parts of Spain at least 4 times a year.
The question is: Does anyone know any different?
Don

Exactly what effect do you think Spain's fiscal situation will have on
your travel plans?

Well, maybe fuel tax will increase. IVA on Hotels and restaurants will
increase, Toll road tax up again.
So I will have to reduce on the number of holidays I can enjoy in France
and Spain to the detriment of the French and Spanish tourist trade.
There are many people in France and Spain whose livelihoods depend on
the fiscal benefits of the tourist trade. It's as simple as that.
Regards
Don
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Michael[_1_]

Donwill wrote:
On 10/05/2010 22:38, Tom P wrote:
Donwill wrote:
[...]

Wow! Weird logic: "maybe, maybe, maybe". If you can afford four holidays
a year in Spain, I don't think an extra eurocent or two on a tollbooth
will affect you.

Let us know when the VAT rate actually goes up, then we'll have
something to talk about.

http://cannes-or-bust.com/
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:41 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Tue, 11 May 2010 12:36:50 +0200, Michael wrote in post :
:

If you can afford four holidays
a year in Spain,

Donwill didn't say holidays. Could just as easily be business trips.
--
Tim C.
I never sleep with fish. I'm halibut.
Old May 11th, 2010, 01:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Michael[_1_]

Tim C. wrote:
On Tue, 11 May 2010 12:36:50 +0200, Michael wrote in post :
:

If you can afford four holidays
a year in Spain,

Donwill didn't say holidays. Could just as easily be business trips.

"I will have to reduce on the number of holidays I can enjoy in France
and Spain to the detriment of the French and Spanish tourist trade" DW

I haven't heard of any plans to increase VAT. But even if there were,
I'm not sure it would affect me too much if I enjoy the place so much I
visit it four times a year. I'd have to work out the actual price paid.

http://cannes-or-bust.com/
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

Donwill wrote:
On 10/05/2010 22:38, Tom P wrote:
Donwill wrote:
[...]

They already announced a VAT increase for hotels and restaurants last
year, to take effect in July 2010 - 7% goes up to 8%.
http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_23254.shtml

So if you spend 100 days holiday in Spain every year, you'd have to skip
the last day anyway to keep the costs down.