Driving In The USA

Old July 13th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Peter L

Default Driving In The USA

"Huw" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I am travelling to the US in a few weeks, am aged 20, and just out of
curiosity, how difficult would it be for me to be able to hire a car??
I have read in a certain publication that it is quite expensive for
under 25's.

Almost impossible unless you are at least 21. Then it's very expensive
until you are 25. After that it's just expensive.

Does anyone have any advice on this, and perhaps any suggestions as to
companies that do give favourable rates to someone of my age?

Any advice will be greatfully appreciated.

Plan a bus or train vacation. Stay in cities with good public
transportation.

Many thanks,

Huw

Old July 14th, 2004, 01:03 AM
Smiley

Well

It would have been nice to say where you are landing or going

check www.alamo.com

they do have few that start at 20 one or two at 18

BUT insurance is high starting around $70 a day making a $100 a day rental

one site is in New Your state.

hope this helps
Good Luck

--
Please note: To avoid spam, all email to my Hotmail address is automatically trashed.
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:26 AM
A Mate

Think he wants a hire car - not a licence!!!

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
om...
The United States of America has 51 sets of traffic laws and license
requirements.

Most of the laws are common sense with certain specificities (such as
the speed limits in alleys). The meanings of colors of curb markings
vary in some states although most are the same.

License requirements also vary.

Best you tell us the state where intend to get your license and people
who live there can give you specifics.
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net

Old July 14th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Brian K

On 07/13/2004 5:24 PM Huw after palpating a Gingko, electronically
interjected:

Hello,

I am travelling to the US in a few weeks, am aged 20, and just out of
curiosity, how difficult would it be for me to be able to hire a car??
I have read in a certain publication that it is quite expensive for
under 25's.

Does anyone have any advice on this, and perhaps any suggestions as to
companies that do give favourable rates to someone of my age?

Any advice will be greatfully appreciated.

Many thanks,

Huw

Your best bet is to A) travel places where you don't need a car to get
around, B) Get a friend or relative who is 25+ to join you on your trip
and rent the car. C) take trains, planes and buses to get from one city
to another.

BTW - See another thread in this group discussing interesting places to
visit in the US where a car isn't needed to get around.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old July 15th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Mark Hewitt

"Huw" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I am travelling to the US in a few weeks, am aged 20, and just out of
curiosity, how difficult would it be for me to be able to hire a car??
I have read in a certain publication that it is quite expensive for
under 25's.

Pretty difficult, but if you were to go to New York then the minimum age, at
least with Alamo, is 18. However you will have to pay additional charges,
alamo.co.uk currently quoting £27.21/day extra.

Old July 18th, 2004, 04:53 AM
Alan Pollock

Huw wrote:
Ok. I will be in North Carolina for the most part.

I will also be travelling up to Montreal - are they any less strict in Quebec?

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Huw

I don't know about car rentals in Quebec, but I will say one thing: be extra
alert! Nex