Traveller Cheques in MYANMAR

Old February 5th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Harry

Default Traveller Cheques in MYANMAR

Hi NG

Does anyone know what is the situation for changing Travellers Cheques
(US$) in Mynmar?
Is it possible to change TC?

What about credit cards?

Thanks for your answer.

harry
Old February 5th, 2004, 09:22 AM
JE

Forget TC and creditcards.
The only thing that works since the USA started a tougher money-policy
towards Myanmar is cash dollar. Formerly there were two places where you
could try officially to get FEC for TC and credit card (the foreign exchange
bank and the airport) but since august 2003 FEC is no longer in practice.
Bring cash

JE http://www.home.zonnet.nl/janeg.wit many pics from various trips in
Myanmar (Burma)
"Harry" schreef in bericht
om...

Old February 5th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Frans Vandenbosch

"Harry" ...
Hi NG

Does anyone know what is the situation for changing Travellers Cheques
(US$) in Mynmar?
Is it possible to change TC?
What about credit cards?
Thanks for your answer.
harry

All banks in Myanmar are closed

No TC, no ATM, no VISA or other credit cards
just cash Kyat (and on some particular places USD)

Take a lot of clean big UDS notes with you to Yangon
go to the street market to change it in Kyat:
http://www.actagena.org/pictures/Mya...-%2019.00.html
(from the series "life in Myanmar")
Do not worry about the big amount of cash that you are carrying with you
Myanmar is extremely safe

And leave your laptop PC and mobile phone at home, it's just dead weight.
And make, before you leave, some exercises by walking barefoot on hot
asphalt.
And don't stay in central Myanmar, go to the border areas

Travel issues in Myanmar, some pictures:
http://www.actagena.org/pictures/Mya...vel/index.html

All Myanmar pictures, ranged per topic:
http://www.actagena.org/pictures/Myanmar/index.html

Have a nice trip.

Frans Vandenbosch

Old February 6th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Paul O

When we were there - cash USD were king. They were easily and legally
transferrable into kyat at the ruling rate. There WAS an actual ATM in our
hotel foyer (The Yuzana) think it was for the Mayflower Bank?? - but it only
accepted Burmese cards. Credit cards????? Wouldn't know. Maybe the airlines
would accept them - no-one else that I'm aware of!

Old February 6th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Miguel Cruz

Paul O wrote:
When we were there - cash USD were king. They were easily and legally
transferrable into kyat at the ruling rate. There WAS an actual ATM in our
hotel foyer (The Yuzana) think it was for the Mayflower Bank?? - but it
only accepted Burmese cards. Credit cards????? Wouldn't know. Maybe the
airlines would accept them - no-one else that I'm aware of!

I could be mistaken, but under the current US embargo I don't think even the
airline would be able to accept credit cards.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old February 6th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Dieter Aaa

"Paul O" ...
When we were there - cash USD were king. They were easily and legally
transferrable into kyat at the ruling rate. There WAS an actual ATM in our
hotel foyer (The Yuzana) think it was for the Mayflower Bank?? - but it

only
accepted Burmese cards. Credit cards????? Wouldn't know. Maybe the

airlines
would accept them - no-one else that I'm aware of!

Was that the Yuzana or the Yuzana Garden hotel ?
When was that ?

Old February 7th, 2004, 03:09 AM
Dieter Aaa

"Paul O" ...
Yuzana - not the Yuzana Garden. Rooms higher up in the Yuzana have an
absolutely suberb view of the Schwedegon Pagoda. We used just sit in our
room enjoy! In 2001!

I was in the Yuzana Garden Hotel in Oct. 2003

and at that time in the entire country:
no ATM
no Traveler Cheques
no VISA or other credit cards
even no banks
At that time _ALL_ banks were closed

No mobile phone roaming
(almost) no internet

Old February 7th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Paul O

Poor Burma!! When we were there the Universities had been closed for two
years or so! Next to the Yuzana Hotel was the Yuzana Supermarket. Probably
one of the few in Myanmar. Interesting place. I bought a bottle of Ayerwadi
(sp?) rum for 70c US. The whole precinct was very much the haunt of the
military and their camp followers. There was a functioning (for Burmese)
ATM, a supermarket, several good restaurants, any number of punters with
mobile phones. No internet!!! Aung San Su Kyi lived just down the road; but
we were not allowed past a police check point in that direction. They were
polite but firm! We employed a guide for the three weeks we spent in
Myanmar. As we gained her confidence - she revealed just how controlled
Burmese lives were. She had just one year to complete her Degree course; but
at that time the only graduates were coming from the Military Colleges up
behind Mandalay. Peversely enough - CNN was available everywhere - to the
locals as well as in all hotels.

Old April 2nd, 2004, 05:18 PM
myinfo

Possible with some tour companies having a rep. office abroad. Try this
one.
www.magadotravel.com

Originally posted by Harry