Visa categories in Vietnam, Cambodia-- a question

Old March 4th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Matt Kelly

Default Visa categories in Vietnam, Cambodia-- a question

Later this spring I'll be traveling to Cambodia and Vietnam for three weeks.
I mostly plan to see the countries and enjoy the sights as a tourist, but
here's the catch-- I am a freelance writer, and often research articles on
travel or business while I visit foreign countries.

Does anyone have advice on whether to apply for a journalist's visa for
Cambodia and Vietnam? Or should I simply go as a tourist and do my
occasional news-gathering anyway? I don't know how seriously these countries
enforce their visa policies, and I wouldn't wan to run afoul of local
authorities if they catch me interviewing locals about, say, leftover
landmines in Vietnam or economic conditions in Cambodia.

Advice? I've only traveled to counties that don't require visas for U.S.
citizens so far, and don't know how to proceed here.

-Matt

Old March 4th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Doug Reese

"Matt Kelly" wrote:

Later this spring I'll be traveling to Cambodia and Vietnam for three weeks.
I mostly plan to see the countries and enjoy the sights as a tourist, but
here's the catch-- I am a freelance writer, and often research articles on
travel or business while I visit foreign countries.

Does anyone have advice on whether to apply for a journalist's visa for
Cambodia and Vietnam? Or should I simply go as a tourist and do my
occasional news-gathering anyway?

I can only offer an opinion for Vietnam. If you get what is called a "Press Visa", it
will cost you upwards of $100 per day while in Vietnam, as you'll have to pay for a
person from the Press Office, who will accompany you while you do your stories. The
cost covers his/her lodging and meals, and some administrative fees.

I'm going to guess this won't be acceptable to you, so . . . . .

Just get a tourist visa. Don't mention that you're a writer, and do whatever you do
as, well, someone who is doing research, or someone who is interested in beginning a
business, etc. Since you're a print journalist, you can get away with that. If you had
cameras (film) with you, like 60 Minutes, then there'd be no choice, and a Press Visa
would be a must.

Doug Reese
Vietnamtourism
Washington DC

Old March 4th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Thomas Stalder

Matt Kelly wrote:
Later this spring I'll be traveling to Cambodia and Vietnam for three weeks.
I mostly plan to see the countries and enjoy the sights as a tourist, but
here's the catch-- I am a freelance writer, and often research articles on
travel or business while I visit foreign countries.

Does anyone have advice on whether to apply for a journalist's visa for
Cambodia and Vietnam? Or should I simply go as a tourist and do my
occasional news-gathering anyway? I don't know how seriously these countries
enforce their visa policies, and I wouldn't wan to run afoul of local
authorities if they catch me interviewing locals about, say, leftover
landmines in Vietnam or economic conditions in Cambodia.

Advice? I've only traveled to counties that don't require visas for U.S.
citizens so far, and don't know how to proceed here.

Just don't do that! You'll have much more troubles since they'll treat
you as suspect. They will charche you a lot as well.
Allways claim to be a student or teacher or anything inconspicuous.
Get your visas in Bangkok in a tour agency as most backpackers do.
It's fast and very cheap. I did it various times.

When interviewing locals do it in a manner like talking to a friend.
Better not with video camera and microphone. If this is necesairy, I
guess an official visa would be safer, but they even might reject your
application (Vietnam). Myanmar for example does not like journalists at
all. I know, Cambodia and Vietnam are not Myanmar. But still ...

have a save journey

Old March 5th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Oxygene2002

Here is a list of non-smoking restaurants in Vietnam
http://www.smokefreeworld.com/asia-pac.shtml#vn
Old March 12th, 2004, 01:20 AM
DALing

the business visa costs a few dollars more but is multiple entry for a month
(any coutry in-out). Take dollars when you go to Cambodia and lots of small
bills - you will get change in Riels 4000:1 so plan on a bit of paper.
Unless you speak Khmer, you will probably need a translator (out in the
country)

Don't know about VN

Old April 2nd, 2004, 05:21 PM
myinfo

Regarding visa to Burma, if you haven't had any problem b4, just try to
get visa on arrival.

There also is an online visa application system
www.visa.gov.mm - Regime run online service but quite fast.