Airport Security is getting Sloppy.

Old March 31st, 2005, 02:21 AM
*Squash*

Default Airport Security is getting Sloppy.

I've noticed that Airports around the US are getting Sloppy with security.
Then I found this in another group. Interesting.

Eleven Mexican Nationals Arrested at RDU Int'l Airport

By ABC 11 Eyewitness News
(03/30/05 - RDU INT'L AIRPORT) - A major illegal immigration and airport
security investigation is unfolding in the Triangle.
Eleven illegal immigrants were arrested on a flight that landed at RDU
International Airport Tuesday night. Officials are trying to figure out how
they
were able to get on two flights without any identification accepted by the
United States.

Officials say 11 Mexican nationals started their journey in Publa, Mexico
where
they each paid $1200 to be driven across the U.S. border to Douglas,
Arizona.
They were able to get to Las Vegas, Nevada where they caught a flight to
Chicago. On their flight from Chicago to Raleigh-Durham International, an
air
marshal became suspicious. That marshal determined the group were illegal
and
had them arrested and detained when they de-boarded the plane.

Investigators are trying to figure out how the 11 immigrants boarded two
planes
with no luggage, and no identification that is accepted by the U.S.
government.
In fact, officials say the only identification the Mexican nationals had
were
Mexican voter registration cards.

Old March 31st, 2005, 05:39 AM
Gregory Morrow

"*Squash*"

This is *old* news. ISTR that a similar Mexican smuggling ring using
Eastern Airlines was busted about 20 years ago...

This smuggling MO is SOP, happens many times daily...

--
Best
Greg

Old March 31st, 2005, 06:19 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article ,
*Squash* wrote:
Investigators are trying to figure out how the 11 immigrants boarded two
planes
with no luggage, and no identification that is accepted by the U.S.
government.
In fact, officials say the only identification the Mexican nationals had
were
Mexican voter registration cards.

According to web sources, Mexican voter registration cards have photos,
fingerprints, and holograms. So a TSA ID checker, checking IDs and
boarding passes to reduce the load at the security check, probably would
accept it as "government issued photo ID". Since the flights were domestic
within the US, and other ID checks are not (always) done on such flights,
why would this incident be particularly scandalous from an airport
security standpoint? Or are the TSA and airlines on domestic flights in
the US supposed to look for illegal immigrants (as opposed to hijackers,
bombers, etc.)?

Timothy J. Lee
Old April 1st, 2005, 01:17 AM
*Squash*

"Timothy J. Lee" wrote in message
In article ,
*Squash* wrote:
[...]

The report claimed that their form of ID was not accepted. Dunno- I just
noticed the article - Interesting. On the other hand, I just observe that
airports are getting sloppy. I'm not slamming the TSA only. There are
other enforcement agencies involved. I see many unattended cars at
terminals for up to 45 min. with police only feet away, and sometimes non
existent. Unattended bags in terminals. Sometimes, absolutely *no* visible
security for up to 2 hrs. etc.

Old April 1st, 2005, 02:14 AM
Timothy J. Lee

In article ,
*Squash* wrote:
The report claimed that their form of ID was not accepted.

Certainly not accepted for the purpose of entering the US, but the
illegal immigrants were already in the US flying on a domestic flight,
and the TSA ID check is not an immigration check.

Timothy J. Lee
Old April 1st, 2005, 02:26 AM
John R. Levine

The report claimed that their form of ID was not accepted.

Ha, ha. On a trip last month, when my family checked in at SJC I
handed the ID checker my picture license and the three boarding passes
with the pass for my daughter, whose name has no part in common with
mine, on top. She looked at the ID, looked at my daughter's pass,
handed them back, and off we went. I've heard even more egregious
stories than this one.

I would be amazed if a Mexican picture ID with the right name failed
to get you on a plane one time out of a hundred.

Old April 1st, 2005, 03:21 AM
*Squash*

"John R. Levine" wrote in message
The report claimed that their form of ID was not accepted.

Ha, ha. On a trip last month, when my family checked in at SJC I
handed the ID checker my picture license and the three boarding passes
with the pass for my daughter, whose name has no part in common with
mine, on top. She looked at the ID, looked at my daughter's pass,
handed them back, and off we went. I've heard even more egregious
stories than this one.

I've gone through security with no ID check. I was delayed, when they
wanted to check my computer bag, but the girl couldn't find her partner (who
was on a break) so she handed me my bag back and told me to go ahead.
Things like this were my main issue. They're getting sloppy. Mostly at the
smaller US Airports.

Old April 1st, 2005, 10:59 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:17:46 GMT in rec.travel.air, "*Squash*"
wrote:

There are
other enforcement agencies involved. I see many unattended cars at
terminals for up to 45 min. with police only feet away, and sometimes non
existent. Unattended bags in terminals. Sometimes, absolutely *no* visible
security for up to 2 hrs. etc.

in podunk towns why should it matter?