Sunrise at Stonehenge?

Old April 7th, 2005, 09:20 PM
John Smith

Default Sunrise at Stonehenge?

Are there any early moning trips from London to Stonehenge and back? I'd
like to go to Stonehenge early in the morning to get some nice photos for an
hour or so, then head back to London the same morning to have the rest of
the day still available in London.

Old April 7th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Ian

John Smith wrote:
Are there any early moning trips from London to Stonehenge and back?
I'd like to go to Stonehenge early in the morning to get some nice
photos for an hour or so, then head back to London the same morning
to have the rest of the day still available in London.

Stonehenge is up to 3 hours from London, around 90 miles, so to get a
sunrise there at this time of year would be quite an adventure. But apart
from that I don't know the answer to your question, just a hunch that it'd
be tricky to organise with most coach operators.

Old April 7th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Malcolm Stewart

"John Smith" wrote in message
Are there any early moning trips from London to Stonehenge and back? I'd
like to go to Stonehenge early in the morning to get some nice photos for

an
hour or so, then head back to London the same morning to have the rest of
the day still available in London.

As part of an Oxford University archaeology course some years ago, our
lecturer arranged for us to have a private dawn visit to Stonehenge. The
skies were clear, and it was a simply magical experience wandering around
the stones as the sun rose over the horizon. Suggest you check out the
English Heritage website for details of private visits.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old April 7th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 13:20:46 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

Are there any early moning trips from London to Stonehenge and back? I'd
like to go to Stonehenge early in the morning to get some nice photos for an
hour or so, then head back to London the same morning to have the rest of
the day still available in London.

Factor in English weather. It's likely to be cold, grey, and
unphotoworthy. How close can you get to the stones anyway?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com

Old April 7th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Tomas

John Smith wrote:
Are there any early moning trips from London to Stonehenge and back? I'd
like to go to Stonehenge early in the morning to get some nice photos for an
hour or so, then head back to London the same morning to have the rest of
the day still available in London.

Well the first (direct) train out of London (Waterloo) that stops at
Salisbury is the 7:10 arriving about an hour and a half later.. add to
that a half hour taxi journey and I think you may miss the sunrise...
Still realistically you could be back in London by midday... but it
would be a very long tiring day..
Check http://www.nationalrail.co.uk
and click on 'plan my journey'.

Regards

Tomas

Old April 7th, 2005, 11:14 PM
John Smith

"Deep Foiled Malls" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

Are there any early moning trips from London to Stonehenge and back? I'd
like to go to Stonehenge early in the morning to get some nice photos for
an
hour or so, then head back to London the same morning to have the rest of
the day still available in London.

Factor in English weather. It's likely to be cold, grey, and
unphotoworthy. How close can you get to the stones anyway?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
---
--

I forgot to mention, this is for late June, so the I am going to expect
wonderful weather.