Applying for Chinese Visa as US citizen born in Taiwan

Old June 7th, 2005, 07:25 PM
platy

Default Applying for Chinese Visa as US citizen born in Taiwan

Hi there,

I will be visiting China at the end of July and am now working on
filling out the visa application. I was born in Taiwan but came to the
US at the age of 2, and I am now a US citizen. I was wondering if it
will cause any problems if I put Taiwan as my place of birth and former
nationality on the visa application form. If so, what would be the best
thing to put there?

Also, the instructructions say: "Applicant born in China who apply China
visa with his or her new foreign passport is required to submit his or
her Chinese passport or last foreign passport." Does this apply to
those born in Taiwan? Since I moved to the US at the age of 2, I'm not
sure what paperwork I had from then.

Thanks for any tips and suggestions!

Old June 7th, 2005, 07:52 PM
PeterL

platy wrote:
Hi there,

I will be visiting China at the end of July and am now working on
filling out the visa application. I was born in Taiwan but came to the
US at the age of 2, and I am now a US citizen. I was wondering if it
will cause any problems if I put Taiwan as my place of birth and former
nationality on the visa application form. If so, what would be the best
thing to put there?

Also, the instructructions say: "Applicant born in China who apply China
visa with his or her new foreign passport is required to submit his or
her Chinese passport or last foreign passport." Does this apply to
those born in Taiwan? Since I moved to the US at the age of 2, I'm not
sure what paperwork I had from then.

Thanks for any tips and suggestions!

There are tens of thousands of Taiwan citizens now working in China.
Don't worry about it. You are a US citizen, whether you were born in
Taiwan or US don't make any difference. Taiwan is not China, so the
second paragraph don't apply to you.

Old June 7th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article . com,
"PeterL" wrote:

There are tens of thousands of Taiwan citizens now working in China.

Tens? I understood it was 100s....
Old June 8th, 2005, 12:17 AM
michael

"PeterL" wrote

There are tens of thousands of Taiwan citizens now working in China.
Don't worry about it. You are a US citizen, whether you were born in
Taiwan or US don't make any difference. Taiwan is not China, so the
second paragraph don't apply to you.

tell that to the chinese, then... since they're the ones he's applying to
for the visa, they are the ones who get to decide whether taiwan is china or
not... for the purpose of the application, the OP was born in china...

DO NOT put "Taiwanese" as your former nationality: the canadian government
has started warning taiwan-born canadians about this...

best thing to do is to talk to someone at the consulate you are applying
to... better that than considering half-assed nonsense like "taiwan is not
china" to be "advice" in any way shape or form...

michael

Old June 8th, 2005, 12:54 AM
Alan Street

In article . com,
PeterL wrote:

€ platy wrote:
[...]

Not according to China...

I would check with these folks:

http://www.cibt.com/cibt2005/home.aspx
Old June 8th, 2005, 01:14 AM
Alan Street

In article , Alan Street
wrote:

€ In article . com,
€ PeterL wrote:

€ € platy wrote:
€ € Hi there,
€ €
[...]

My company has an account with them, and here's what they say about
Taiwan born US citizens living in the US:

7. OTHER: You can get a single entry business visa with just a US
company letter or a faxed invitation from a Company in China. If you
need a multiple entry visa or rush procedure done, please contact CIBT
for specific instructions as they are different from a 1 or 2 entry
visa request. If you were originally born in China, Hong Kong, or
Taiwan you must write your name in Chinese on question #1 on the
application form and you must indicate that your place of birth is
China. The Consulate of China may reject your application if you state
that you were born in Hong Kong or Taiwan and do not indicate that your
place of birth is China.
Old June 8th, 2005, 02:43 AM
INLA

Taiwanese born US citizen here, no problem of apply visa in Los Angeles,
but they don't like to see you put down Taiwan as a "country", write:
Taiwan, China will be a suck up.
"Alan Street" wrote in message
In article , Alan Street
wrote:

? In article . com,
? PeterL wrote:
?
? ? platy wrote:
? ? Hi there,
? ?

Old June 8th, 2005, 07:51 AM

Contacting the nearest Chinese embassy or consulate will surely get a
better official answer than asking it in a newsgroup. Just say, "I was
born in Taiwan and currently a U.S.A. citizen, what should I do and
what should I write?"

Personally though, with your current status as a U.S.A. citizens, that
would mean that you had to apply as a U.S.A. citizen, no matter where
you was born.

Anyway. If you would like to enter China, I suggest doing anything that
will please the People Republic of China, if you're willing that is.

Old June 8th, 2005, 05:26 PM
PeterL

Not the Karl Orff wrote:
In article . com,
"PeterL" wrote:

There are tens of thousands of Taiwan citizens now working in China.

Tens? I understood it was 100s....

Well, several tens add up to 100s.

Old June 8th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Spehro Pefhany

On 8 Jun 2005 09:26:01 -0700, the renowned "PeterL"
wrote:

Not the Karl Orff wrote:
In article . com,
"PeterL" wrote:

There are tens of thousands of Taiwan citizens now working in China.

Tens? I understood it was 100s....

Well, several tens add up to 100s.

Mmmm. You're not an engineer or accountant, I presume. ;-) I
understand it's in excess of a million at present. A big percentage of
Taiwan's population, but not much of mainland China's.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany