Car and driver

Old August 12th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Tee Doubleyou

Default Car and driver

Hello,
Any advice how to go about renting a car with a driver in Madras
(Chennai) for approximately two weeks?
Any personal experience and/or recommendation will be appreciated.
Tee Doubelyou
Old August 12th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Tee Doubleyou
says...
Hello,
Any advice how to go about renting a car with a driver in Madras
(Chennai) for approximately two weeks?
Any personal experience and/or recommendation will be appreciated.
Tee Doubelyou

http://www.indiamike.com/

Also see our travelogue:
http://www.molon.de/travelogues/India/2004/
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from China, Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest, Singapore and Portugal
Old August 13th, 2005, 12:32 PM
katyjane

Any advice how to go about renting a car with a driver in Madras (Chennai) for
approximately two weeks? Any personal experience and/or recommendation will be
appreciated.

I've hired a car & driver 3 times in India, but not in Chennai I'm
afraid.

In Agra we needed a car to get to Bharatpur and took a recommendation
from an auto-rickshaw driver. The place turned out to be a carpet &
jewellery shop where they tried to involve us in an export scam, but
eventually the car turned up and it was fine, although we were careful
to let the driver see that we'd noted the registration number when we
stopped to look around Fatehpur Sikri.

In Jaipur we went to the state tourist office and they recommended
somebody. The owner visited us in our hotel to discuss the trip (10
day tour up to Himachal Pradesh & Amritsar - we'd got fed up of
Rajasthan!). Not surprisingly the driver didn't speak much English and
didn't know the area, but was a cheerful, safe, honest driver - I think
he quite enjoyed the trip actually, he raved about the Golden Temple
for ages.

In Kerala we just walked into a travel agent in Kovalam - I think the
guide book had recommended it. We only stayed for the first couple of
days of the trip (we were with friends, then went our own way). No
problems as far as I know.

Points to bear in mind:-

1) You'll probably be charged a flat rate per day which includes a set
distance, plus an amount per kilometre. Check that any unused daily
allowances will be 'carried over' to other days. Check, and check
again, that there will be no other charges that they haven't mentioned.

2) Kilometre rates may be different in flat and mountainous areas.
Agree with the driver where the mountains start and finish.

3) Most states charge a road tax at the border - probably not included
in the price. It can help if you accompany the driver if he has to go
into an office to pay it - he's less likely to get screwed over by the
officials with you watching.

4) On a long trip away from his home town, the driver will probably
need cash to buy fuel during the trip. Make sure he records how much
you've given him so it can be deducted from your bill.

5) You'll probably be charged a flat rate overnight allowance for the
driver. He may sleep in your hotel (in staff quarters, a drivers'
dorm, or have a special deal withe hotel owner), in a separate & much
cheaper hotel, or in the car. His prime concern will be somewhere safe
to park the car. Please consider his needs when choosing your
accomodation.

6) If you have a map and can offer advice on directions even though
you've never been there before, your driver will think you have magic
powers when it turns out you were right.

7) A tip of about Rs100 per day is about right, whatever he or his
boss might tell you.

Have a good trip!

katyjane

PS In 5 trips to India, the only time I've had serious food poisoning
was from a buffet at the Taj Connemara in Chennai. Avoid buffets, no
matter how posh the hotel - or at least be there the minute it's set
out.

Old August 15th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Tee Doubleyou

I appreciate very much your advice.
Tee Doubleyou

Old August 15th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Tee Doubleyou

Thanks for pointing me in a right direction however, could not find
anything in Chennai but I will keep looking.
Tee Doubleyou