Renting an apt on the gold coast

Old August 27th, 2008, 07:28 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected][_2_]

Default Renting an apt on the gold coast

Hi,

I'm thinking of going to the gold coast for a month or two to do some
surfing and snorkelling. If i'm staying for wo months, i don't want to
be paying 100 dollars a day for a hotel room, i'd like to find an
apartment to rent month to month, somewhere near the beach. anyone
know where on the web I can find listings for something like this or
where I should search? Looking to pay about 1k a month.

Thanks.

Old August 27th, 2008, 10:38 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Kerry Raymond

I'm thinking of going to the gold coast for a month or two to do some
surfing and snorkelling. If i'm staying for wo months, i don't want to
be paying 100 dollars a day for a hotel room, i'd like to find an
apartment to rent month to month, somewhere near the beach. anyone
know where on the web I can find listings for something like this or
where I should search? Looking to pay about 1k a month.

Well, you probably need to be looking at permanent rentals not holiday
rentals at that price, so try realestate.com.au. Note that many permanet
rental properties at that price will be unfurnished but if you read through
the listings carefully, some are fully furnished. The catch is that these
rentals will probably be looking for a 6 month lease, so you will have to
negotiate hard to get around that one.

The other option is to look for the older unrefurbished motels that often
don't advertise on WWW sites because they are rated 2-star and below which a
lot of WWW sites don't want to be assocated with (usually you can find some
names out of the RACQ accommodation guide in the "unrated" section) and
phone them up and offer them a deal. If you avoid school holidays, some of
them may be willing to do a deal with you if you agree not to require daily
servicing (cleaning, changing sheets, etc).

Finally, you could come on spec, stay a night in pre-booked hotel and then
roam along the highway where a lot of the older motels are found looking for
the ones with the "$25 per night" sign out and walk in and negotiate a
longer term deal. Just south of the border into NSW should be considered as
well as the Gold Coast as it is not as popular.

Old August 27th, 2008, 10:43 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Kerry Raymond

A negotiating tip. If you are trying to do a deal (e.g. short-term rental of
a permanent property or long-term rental of a nightly property), offer to
fully pay up-front on making the deal. Also offer to pay in cash (so they
avoid the credit card charges). Both of these sweeten the deal a bit for the
owner/manager. Note permanent rentals probably won't accept credit card
anyway.

Old August 28th, 2008, 02:16 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:28:24 -0700 (PDT),
"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm thinking of going to the gold coast for a month or two to do some
surfing and snorkelling. If i'm staying for wo months, i don't want to
be paying 100 dollars a day for a hotel room, i'd like to find an
apartment to rent month to month, somewhere near the beach. anyone
know where on the web I can find listings for something like this or
where I should search? Looking to pay about 1k a month.

Thanks.

Try the "Holiday Rentals" sections of the popular real
estate companies; I've included a few links below. It may be
worth emailing them direct for the rates for a month or two
- quite common around here.

If you're into surfing and snorkelling consider the quieter
district south of the border - Kingscliff, Casuarina,
Cabarita (great surf beach), Pottsville. However, we don't
have the bright lights and night spots down here.

Note that rates will be much cheaper if you plan your months
to miss the School Holidays:
http://www.australia.gov.au/School_Term_Dates

The ones that matter are NSW, Victoria and Queensland; all
affect the Gold Coast prices.

Some (of the many) Real Estate offices that service the
district:

http://www.firstnational.com.au/
http://www.harcourts.com.au/
http://www.ljhooker.com.au/
http://www.professionals.com.au/

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Old August 28th, 2008, 02:57 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected][_2_]

Thanks, when are the school holidays?

http://www.firstnational.com.au/http...ionals.com.au/