ICELAND info requested.

Old April 13th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Joseph Babcock

Default ICELAND info requested.

Hi;
I am thinking of traveling to ICELAND with a small
group of 6 friends for christmas holiday period this year.

we are thinking of renting a flat with a kitchen..any sugeestions?

How are the prices in Iceland for food, resturants and groceries?
How are the prices fo activities such as museums, pools, transportation?

Any info would help
THANKS in advance!

Old April 13th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Maurice ON4BAM

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:13:24 -0400, Joseph Babcock
wrote:

I am thinking of traveling to ICELAND with a small
group of 6 friends for christmas holiday period this year.

Where in Iceland?

we are thinking of renting a flat with a kitchen..any sugeestions?

Where? What region?

How are the prices in Iceland for food, resturants and groceries?
How are the prices fo activities such as museums, pools, transportation?

Iceland is expensive compared to most of Europe or US. It's in the
same league as Norway....

It's a wonderful country but I think it will be chilly around Xmas ;-)

Old April 14th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Teak

Joseph Babcock wrote:

We plan on staying in Reykjavik, in the central city.

Eating out can be very expensive. Pizza and hotdogs are about the
most responsible items.

Get the Tourist pass, worth every penny since it includes the bus.

Email me privately if you have specific questions, I was there end of March.

-Teak
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:53 PM
James

Joseph Babcock wrote:

Hi;
I am thinking of traveling to ICELAND with a small
group of 6 friends for christmas holiday period this year.

we are thinking of renting a flat with a kitchen..any sugeestions?

How are the prices in Iceland for food, resturants and groceries?
How are the prices fo activities such as museums, pools, transportation?

Iceland is expensive; but that doesn´t mean there aren´t cheap places,
if you look hard enough. Do what the locals do, and go to supermarkets,
such as Bónus or the 7/11 stores that are scattered all over Reykjavík,
rather than eating out. But even that will be more expensive than
grocery shopping in your home country. Transport is reasonable, but the
majority of bus drivers don´t speak English, so learning some Icelandic
would be advised. Restaurants are EXPENSIVE. Even fast food. Simply put.
The only alternative is to, as aforementioned, buy your own food. Oh,
and don´t get taxis - that will really dig into your wallet. Virtually
every street in RVK is served by a bus, the bus information desk at
Hlemmur is very helpful, and the buses are safe, modern and reliable -
just avoid the Hlemmur station at night, it tends to be full of RVK´s
drunks and mentally unbalanced folk. They probably aren´t dangerous, but
I feel somewhat unnerved around there, anyway.

As for appartments, email the establishments directly, rather than book
through an agency, since winter is rather dead in Iceland, and many of
them have really reasonable rates (for Iceland, anyway). The gay-owned,
but not exclusively gay, Room with a View looks really nice, although
having never stayed there, I can´t give a personal opinion. You can call
them on +354-552-7262 (English spoken, IIRC), or do a Google search for
them.

Good luck!

james.

Old April 18th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Oxygene2002

non-smoking restaurants in Iceland
http://www.smokefreeworld.com/europe.shtml#ice
Old April 18th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Gee! No smoke free restaurants in either Spain or Italy. Nor any in
France or Germany. Wow. FFM

Old April 21st, 2004, 05:04 PM
Sonja

Hi there
Just saw your question as I was looking for info about travelling in
Ukrania. I live here in Iceland so maybe I can help out a bit. I do
not know so much about apartments, just search the internet - we are
very very internet frindly and dependant upon that. But about the
prices then well, let's see (all icealandic kronas): to go once in a
pool costs 230 kr, one busdrive is about 250 kr and you can go on for
an hour (that is if you need to switch busses), one liter of milk is
about 100 kr, bred (600 g) is about 230 kr, 1 kg of potatos is abou
140 kr and, a liter of gas is about 100 kr so on. Here is the
homepage of Dominos if you wanna check the prices: http://dominos.is/.
Then there are a couple of restaurants: Italian food (mid-range
prices) http://italia.is/
and here a few http://visit.is/visit/list.asp?PageID=3&

Here are som info about Reykjavik - http://www.visitreykjavik.is/

About the weather then it can be rather cold, snowing, storms and so
on but then it might not snow at all and not so cold!! The thing is
that we can never ever tell about the weather - some days it can be
sunny and no wind in the morning, in the afternoon there is raining
plus wind and then you might get some snow in the evening!!

I hope this helps!

Hope you will enjoy your stay!
Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:15 AM
Sigvaldi Eggertsson

(Sonja) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Busfare is 220 (single drive, much cheaper per fare if you buy a bus
card), milk is 75, bread (1 kg) is between 100-200 kr (in Bónus) and
the gas liter can cost anywhere between 90 - 100 IKR so it depends a
lot upon where you do your shopping.

Here are som info about Reykjavik - http://www.visitreykjavik.is/

About the weather then it can be rather cold, snowing, storms and so
on but then it might not snow at all and not so cold!! The thing is
that we can never ever tell about the weather - some days it can be
sunny and no wind in the morning, in the afternoon there is raining
plus wind and then you might get some snow in the evening!!

Yes but only in wintertime!