Good inexpensive luggage

Old September 13th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Dr.Tate

Default Good inexpensive luggage

Interesting topic. I was just going to ask this question. Received a
nice set of American Tourister in 1981 which has since traveled a few
million miles with me. On a recent flight to OKC some gorilla finally
managed to cave the wheels in on the 3-suiter. After 22 years of
service, I decided to retire it and get something smaller that I can
take on the plane with me.

Big concern after having luggage inspectors break two notebook
computers because they don't know what they are doing, was in being
able to take notebook with me and keep it in the cabin.

I have questions about soft sides which the airlines have torn on
sharp edges. Wonder if soft sided leather would be a better choice.
And let me go to the other end of the spectrum. Which vendor handles
high end luggage capable of withstanding the younger more aggressive
baggage hanadlers.

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 05:37:16 GMT, "Blake S"
wrote:

"The Bill Mattocks" wrote in message
. com...
"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message

digy.com...
Check to see if you live near any of the American tourister or Samsonite
factory outlets. Some very good deals there. Then check ebags.com and

look
in their outlet to see what they have..

Good deals, crappy luggage. It falls apart. Warranty means nothing
when you are on the road when it breaks.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

So if American Tourister, Samsonite, and ebags are all crap, then what's
decent. My Factory Outlet Samsonite has lasted almost 3 years any many
flights, although it's had about enough. On the other hand, the Samsonites
have lasted longer than anything else I've owned.

Old September 13th, 2003, 05:30 PM
ra

wrote:

"The Bill Mattocks" wrote in message
.com...

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message

odigy.com...

Check to see if you live near any of the American tourister or Samsonite
factory outlets. Some very good deals there. Then check ebags.com and

look

in their outlet to see what they have..

Good deals, crappy luggage. It falls apart. Warranty means nothing
when you are on the road when it breaks.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

So if American Tourister, Samsonite, and ebags are all crap, then what's
decent. My Factory Outlet Samsonite has lasted almost 3 years any many
flights, although it's had about enough. On the other hand, the Samsonites
have lasted longer than anything else I've owned.

Try http://www.irvs.com. If you want longevity try Briggs and Riley.
Their warranty covers airline damage (not sure of the details). As for
laptops, I use a North Face laptop backpack. It has a padded
compartment and I've never had a problem - but then I always remove the
laptop before running it through security.