Montreal, Canada: knee-walker / knee-cruiser rental

Old August 16th, 2010, 07:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
me[_10_]

Default Montreal, Canada: knee-walker / knee-cruiser rental

Hello,

I'll be travelling to Canada in a week's time, but my sprained ankle will be
in a cast or brace.
Friends who just returned from Canada say they saw several people using a
so-called "knee walker" or "knee cruiser", not just in cities, but in
national parks too. I was wondering how I should go about renting one of
these things. Any pointers to a business or hospital that sells or rents
these in Montreal or elsewhere in Canada would be very welcome. I had a hard
time Googling for this, as most results are from the USA, where every
medical supply store seems to have them.

Thanks in advance,

Marc.

ps: I've you've never seen one, see e.g. www.kneewalker.com

Old August 16th, 2010, 09:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

me wrote:
Hello,

I'll be travelling to Canada in a week's time, but my sprained ankle will be
in a cast or brace.
Friends who just returned from Canada say they saw several people using a
so-called "knee walker" or "knee cruiser", not just in cities, but in
national parks too. I was wondering how I should go about renting one of
these things. Any pointers to a business or hospital that sells or rents
these in Montreal or elsewhere in Canada would be very welcome. I had a hard
time Googling for this, as most results are from the USA, where every
medical supply store seems to have them.

Thanks in advance,

Marc.

ps: I've you've never seen one, see e.g. www.kneewalker.com

It's probably your web site selling them, so why not put it ion the FAQs.
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
me[_10_]

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
. com...
It's probably your web site selling them, so why not put it ion the FAQs.

If you're not answering to help people who have a question, why don't you
just shut up?

Btw, here are some of the brands/models I found online that are more or less
what I'm looking for:

- Medline Weil Knee Walker
- Vergon Medical Kneal Knee Cruiser
- Rolleraid Knee Walker
- Roll-A-Bout All Terrain Knee Walker
- Drive Medical NeeBop Steerable Knee Walker
- Dartmouth Knee Walker
- Essential Medical Supply Free Spirit Knee and Leg Walker
- NOVA TKC-8 Knee Cruiser

They're all over Amazon.com, but I can't seem to find any rentals in
Montreal/Quebec. There is a company called Northwest something, which
predictably only rents them out in the Northwest of Canada. If I rent one
from a rental company in the USA, it will cost $100 to send it over and
another $100 to send it back.

Marc.

Old August 17th, 2010, 06:22 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

"Marc":
Btw, here are some of the brands/models I found online that are more or less
what I'm looking for:

- Medline Weil Knee Walker
- Vergon Medical Kneal Knee Cruiser
- Rolleraid Knee Walker

They're all over Amazon.com, but I can't seem to find any rentals in
Montreal/Quebec.

I figured the key to this would be to find out what the thing is called
in French, and search on that. But I could not find a French name for it.
I then did a search in French for places in Canada with walkers and
wheelchairs for rent:

marchette fauteuil-roulant louer OR location site:ca

I figured that one of these places would have a knee walker and there would
be an illustration to make it obvious what it was. But no! I didn't turn
up anything.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to contact one of the companies I found --
here are two of them --

http://www.medicus.ca/pdf/equipements_med.pdf
http://www.amedco.ca/location-equipe...opediques.html

and ask if they have the knee walker or know where in Montreal it can
be rented. You should be able to communicate in English. If you use
email, you can include some URLs showing the device.
--
Mark Brader "They have computers, and they may have
Toronto other weapons of mass destruction."

Old August 17th, 2010, 10:12 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
me[_10_]

"Mark Brader" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for replying. In the meantime, my doctor told me to forget about
travelling :-(

A walker is indeed called a "marchette" in french. I e-mailed a dozen
medical supply and wheelchair vendors in the Montreal area last night; their
sites are all bilingual, so I don't think that language is the problem, it's
just that apparently these knee walkers are widespread in the USA, but only
now becoming available in other countries.
If anyone's looking to rent a knee walker in Canada, several rental
companies from the USA will happily send you one, but the shipping costs
will be around 100USD; and with rental charges around 150USD per month, it
makes sense to buy instead of rent.

Marc.

Old August 17th, 2010, 04:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

"Marc":
Thanks for replying. In the meantime, my doctor told me to forget about
travelling :-(

Oh. Well, good luck with that!
--
Mark Brader "Exercise 5-3: ... When should you
Toronto have stopped adding features...?"