Death Valley/Saline Valley Waterfall?

Old February 10th, 2004, 04:07 PM
BrianG

Default Death Valley/Saline Valley Waterfall?

Hello,

Taking a camping/hiking trip out to Death Valley in a couple weeks
with a friend of mine who lives out that way (CA, I'm from Boston) and
has been before. He remembers people talking of a waterfall but
doesn't remember the name of it (if it had one) or exactly where it
was. Does anyone know where it's located (assuming there's not more
than one...which there probably is)?

Also, any recommendations for points of interest to check out?
Unfortunately we'll probably only have 4-5 days out there.

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Old February 10th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Lawrence Akutagawa

Darwin Falls, located off hwy 190 west of Panamint Springs outside the
western boundary of DVNP.

For other points of interest, check out the DVNP page on the National Park
website:

http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

The AAA map of Death Valley has a good summary of the usual points of
interest.

om...

Old February 10th, 2004, 06:37 PM
bbrr

indeed, darwin falls is probably what you are thinking of.

but more interesting to me are the 'fossil falls' not too
far away. this is a area of rock sculpted by water
thousands of years ago when the area was not so dry.

http://www.ca.blm.gov/ridgecrest/fossil.html

for some good pictures do a google images search
on "fossil falls".

hlink.net...

Old February 11th, 2004, 02:32 AM
BrianG

Thanks, but I forwarded your reply off to my friend and he already
knew of that one. The one he heard of is 'on the west side of the
Saline Valley, up one of the side canyons. About a 10 mile drive from
the hotsprings.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.