Silicon Valley

Old April 17th, 2005, 04:41 AM
LuisMedina

Default Silicon Valley

Hi, everybody

I'm looking for some options to know entreprises and interesting
places in Silicon Valley in my next trip to California.

Can someone suggest me something like vacation packages or similar for
this purpose? Obviously, I'll include main cities like LA, San Diego,
San Francisco and more.

Thanks a lot

Luis
Old April 17th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Chris Kuan

Icono Clast wrote on Sun 17 Apr 2005 09:39:27p

Jim Logajan wrote:

The Tech Museum in San Jose.

My technical knowledge is minimal. I found the museum pleasant but
unenlightening. Although I've not yet visited it, I hear that the
Children's Museum is much better.

I recommend a visit to The Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum and the
Winchester Mystery House. I've been to each several times and plan to
return several more.

Hi all, I'm back in Australia now. Thanks for all your recommendations last
month about San Jose, although as it turns out I really only had one
afternoon there and spent 3 days in Seattle and one in San Francisco, so I
went to the Winchester Mystery House and enjoyed it a lot. Tip: Do a
morning tour, because the guides' voices are totally fscked by 17:00...

The public transport in San Jose was excellent (helped that I stayed
opposite a light rail station, but the buses were good too, suffering only
the usual traffic-delays that one expects in a city), and the CalTrain
service to SF was pretty good too - although I was kinda intimidated by the
size of the train carriages - it looked like an ocean liner was pulling up
in front of me!

Had brilliant clear sunshiney weather for Alcatraz too. Hah! to my friend
who's tried to go twice and been fogged out both times :-)

--
Chris
Concatenate for email: mrgazpacho @ hotmail . com

Old April 17th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Mimi

"Chris Kuan" wrote in message
. 2.59...

The public transport in San Jose was excellent (helped that I stayed
opposite a light rail station, but the buses were good too, suffering only
the usual traffic-delays that one expects in a city), ....

The first time I've seen this statement. And it may be true if you pick your
location carefully. But it's not true in the far-flung housing developments
and suburbs.

Marianne

Old April 18th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Carmen L. Abruzzi

LuisMedina wrote:
Hi, everybody

I'm looking for some options to know entreprises and interesting
places in Silicon Valley in my next trip to California.

Stanford University is about the only interesting place in Silicon
Valley I can think of that would be open to the general public. Rodin
sculpture garden, central church and the surrounding quad are
interesting, but unfortunately the architecture of the rest of the
campus has been subordinated to 'blend in' with that of the quad, with
extremely tedious results. Berkeley is much more interesting
architecturally.

Can someone suggest me something like vacation packages or similar

for
this purpose? Obviously, I'll include main cities like LA, San Diego,
San Francisco and more.

Eh? Sounds like you're talking about all California, not just Silicon
Valley.

Thanks a lot

Luis

Old April 18th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Chris Kuan

"Mimi" wrote on Mon 18 Apr 2005 02:50:30a

"Chris Kuan" wrote in message
. 2.59...

The public transport in San Jose was excellent (helped that I stayed
opposite a light rail station, but the buses were good too, suffering
only the usual traffic-delays that one expects in a city), ....

The first time I've seen this statement. And it may be true if you
pick your location carefully. But it's not true in the far-flung
housing developments and suburbs.

As an international tourist, I would be unlikely to stay in such locations
:-)

Old April 18th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Dan

Actually, it's still pretty good, but you need to remember that it is
physically a very large area - don't expect the public transit system
to get you all way across the county in 20 minutes (especially when the
buses are sharing the same roads as the other commuters)! It's still
true that public transit systems tend to be a notch lower in most
suburban communities throughout the country (and the world, for that
matter), but for what it's worth, the bus and light rail system in the
Santa Clara Valley is one of the better ones at connecting "far-flung"
communities.