Live in Europe?

Old July 21st, 2004, 09:17 AM
Thomas Stalder

Default Live in Europe?

Luca Logi wrote:

Anything you can find in Switzerland, it can be found in Austria as
well, at a lower price and with more flowers around it

Very very true!
But when it comes to nice people (and I refere to myself :-)), than
it's still Switzerland.

Aloha
Thomas

Old July 21st, 2004, 10:20 AM
John Stolz

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:32:35 -0400, jbk wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:31:44 +0200, John Stolz
You entirely miss the point. Why travel if you just want everywhere to be
like home. Open your mind and try and get over the idea that the way
things are done at home is the only or correct way. Don't judge the
places you travel to by how much like home they are and you'll get far
more out of travelling and might even have a different view on home when
you get back.

Otherwise, just stay at home where everything is perfect.

I could point out a few things that France does better than, say, the US
such as food, health-care, social provision, murder (as in less rather
than more) and invading other peoples countries on trumped up pretexts,
but I won't because that would probably cause a flame war. oops.

Yeah, healthcare. Like those 11,000 people who died there last year
due to the heat while the politicians and healthcare system were on
vacation. Right. Much better. And don't forget the 30 plus times
France has invaded African countries since 1960 without once going to
the UN, the most recent removing the democratically elected government
in the Ivory Coast moron. Don't forget these and the oil for food
scandal, etc. etc.

'Moron' nice, really makes me want to take your argumnet seriously
Old July 21st, 2004, 10:29 AM
The Reids

Following up to Martin Bienwald

Especially in the eastern parts, there are still a lot of people with
a rather limited command of English, if any. I

The only place I have been where *most* people speak english are
Iceland and Holland, but even in Holland I met someone who didn't
within 100 yards of the station in Amsterdam.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old July 21st, 2004, 10:29 AM
The Reids

Following up to jm

If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
countries would you consider? Make cost of living a factor in some
and not in others.

the one where I spoke the language and had lined up a job.
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:18 AM
a.spencer3

"Thomas Stalder" wrote in message
a.spencer3 wrote:

But it surely does depend on *what* you want.
Climate?

- Switzerland

Cold

Economy?

- Switzerland

Bloody expensive

All mod cons?

No idea what this means

Flushing loos - I'll give you that one.

Wonderful people?

- Switzerland

Nice enough, not especially so.

History?

- Switzerland

Well, ish.

Scenery?

- Switzerland again

Absolutely

Very unfortunately, they don't all tend to come in the same package!

Sure?
Maybe, because of point 3, you're right. I don't know.

A score of 3 at best. Not good enough! :-))

Surreyman

Old July 21st, 2004, 11:22 AM
Thomas Stalder

a.spencer3 wrote:

But it surely does depend on *what* you want.
Climate?

- Switzerland

Cold

30 degrees right now, bright sun,
32 forecast for tomorrow

Economy?

- Switzerland

Bloody expensive

Compare it with Milano, London, Oslo, Paris.
I've been all over these places.
And then it's the same here in Zurich.

All mod cons?

No idea what this means

Flushing loos - I'll give you that one.

Thanks for the explanation.

Wonderful people?

- Switzerland

Nice enough, not especially so.

Almost offending :-)
Let's say, more introverted than in mediterean areas,
more quiet than in the northern countries.

A score of 3 at best. Not good enough! :-))

Well, good luck for your research then ...

Aloha
Thomas

Old July 21st, 2004, 11:29 AM
a.spencer3

"Wolfgang Schwanke" wrote in message
Thomas Peel wrote in
:

Wolfgang Schwanke schrieb:

Dominique Foucart wrote in
:

I would probably recommend Belgium:
- central to all places in Europe

The geographical centre of Europe is in Ukraine.

--
Once more with the voice of Buddha

http://www.wschwanke.de/ usenet_20031215 (AT) wschwanke
(DOT) de

I googled the question recently and the Ukraine was not among the
answers.

There are different ways of measuring it. As long as Belgium isn't among
the answers I'm happy.

http://bruin.brittan.sancarlos.k12.c...ges/europe.jpg

Just from looking at the outline it should be obvious that the centre must
be somewhere eastward of the Baltic Sea. Let's not fight where exactly.

Regards

--
Lichtenrade, Birkenwerder, Blankenfelde, Halensee
Jungfernheide, Schöneweide, Schönerlinde, Schlachtensee

http://www.wschwanke.de/ usenet_20031215 (AT) wschwanke (DOT) de

Supposedly:

The geographical centre of Europe (from the Atlantic to the Urals) lies at
54°54'N 25°19'E, about 25 km north of Vilnius, the capital of Lithuania
according to 1989 calculations made by the French National Geographic
Institute (Institut Geographique National)

Ukraine's nearly falling off the edge, surely!!

Surreyman

Old July 21st, 2004, 12:38 PM
Thomas Stalder

a.spencer3 wrote:

Starbuck's I included - not! A little spot I like in Spain is currently
fighting off Macdonald's!
(Reminds me of the new Macdonald's I saw in Luxor of all places, with a
burger costing 5 times a local snack. I heard they closed down. Hardly
surprising.).

The first McDonalds in Zurich even got attacked (shortly before opening)
with a molotow coctail and burnt out. Very rare that such stuff happens
for such reasons, here in Zurich. The KFC on the opposite side of the
road closed one year after opening. Not enough clients.

Mc Donalds today are found everywhere here.
KFC not.

Old July 21st, 2004, 12:43 PM
a.spencer3

a.spencer3 wrote:

[...]