Bicycling around London?

Old June 16th, 2005, 11:17 PM
congokid

In message .com,
george writes

never really looked, but can't remember seeing cyclists on central
London streets.

There are thousands of us. A pity more car drivers can't see us.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google
Old June 16th, 2005, 11:18 PM
congokid

In message , John
writes
Is it practical or safe to use a bicycle rather than Tube and buses to get
around London during daylight hours?
We have accommodations near Hammersmith and plan to use rented bikes to
sightsee within 5 miles of that area.

If you're accustomed to cycling round large cities, then it's a very
practical and enjoyable method of travelling round town.

I cycle from near Hammersmith to the Holborn area of London, where I
work, and back every day and once a week I cycle through Hammersmith and
round the large one way system at the centre of it.

I've been doing this for the past 13 years and no serious mishaps.

Old June 16th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Padraig Breathnach

congokid wrote:

In message .com,
george writes

never really looked, but can't remember seeing cyclists on central
London streets.

There are thousands of us. A pity more car drivers can't see us.

Jaysus, man! If they saw you, they'd run you down. Invisible is good.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old June 17th, 2005, 11:24 AM

If you're reasonable fit and brave, go for it ! Cycling is a fantastic
way to get around London, particularly if you're visiting so can afford
to take your time, pause to look at stuff and hang out in parks and
leafy squares.

It's not a risk-free option though as the traffic here is lethal
(worse, IMHO, since the Congestion Charge, because there's a bit more
space on the roads inside the zone now and everyone's going that bit
faster); a certain Zen-like calm is required in the face of multiple
brushes with the Grim Reaper.

Also, come prepared: you really should make sure that you have the
right equipment, e.g.:

- good quality cycle helmet (ABSOULTELY NECESSARY unless you want to be
shipped home in a box...)
- gloves (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - I have the scars on my right hand to
prove this...!)
- high visibility tabard or similar (ABSOULTELY NECESSARY unless you're
really going to be cycling in nothing but good daylight; but what about
when you come out of the pub later on.. ???)
- working lights (ditto, though I would hope they'll come with the
bike)
- good quality bike lock (once again, I would hope this would come with
the bike)
- waterproofs (it rains a _lot_ here, even in "summer")
- elbow protectors (optional - you'll probably look a bit silly in
them, to be honest)
- knee pads (ditto)
- face mask (well, I think they're more trouble than they're worth,
some people swear by them - go figure !)

Having said all the above, I've only had 2 nasty falls in 15 years -
the scars on my right hand are from coming off when cut up by a black
cab (no surpise there then !); the other occasion was from riding into
the (closed) gates of Richmond Park at the 2 in the morning: I was
s**t-faced, of course. That was a laugh, trying to convince local
residents that the guy banging on their door covered in blood in the
middle of the night needed helping rather than arresting !

Which reminds me: strictly speaking, drink-drive limits do apply to
riding a bicycle. You'll be _very_ unlucky to get pulled over when
riding drunk (you're more likely to _fall_ over), but if you do, and
you get one of those young lads with something to prove, you could end
up in a bad place.

Which prompts another thought: since I moved to London in 1982, I've
had very few encounters with the law, but it strikes me that when I
have, in every case where the officer's been younger than me I've got a
ticket while the older guys just give me a strern lecture and tell me
to p*** off ! Not a good outlook now that I'm past 40 !

Finally, don't worry about parking, you'll find countless places to
leave the bikes all across the capital.

At the end of it all, you should go home fitter and happier.

Have a great trip !

Nick

Old June 17th, 2005, 08:59 PM
John

wrote in message
oups.com...
If you're reasonable fit and brave, go for it ! Cycling is a fantastic
way to get around London, particularly if you're visiting so can afford
to take your time, pause to look at stuff and hang out in parks and
leafy squares.

It's not a risk-free option though as the traffic here is lethal
(worse, IMHO, since the Congestion Charge, because there's a bit more
space on the roads inside the zone now and everyone's going that bit
faster); a certain Zen-like calm is required in the face of multiple
brushes with the Grim Reaper.

Also, come prepared: you really should make sure that you have the
right equipment, e.g.:

I would be renting a bike, so I will assume they will provide everything
needed.

Old June 17th, 2005, 09:24 PM
congokid

In message , Padraig
Breathnach writes
congokid wrote:

In message .com,
george writes

never really looked, but can't remember seeing cyclists on central
London streets.

There are thousands of us. A pity more car drivers can't see us.

Jaysus, man! If they saw you, they'd run you down. Invisible is good.

Invisible is inevitable, it seems, in spite of the bright yellow
clothing many cyclists wear. 'Sorry mate, I didn't see you', or SMIDSY
for short, is the common refrain of drivers who pay more attention to
what's going on inside their cars than to other traffic around them.

The OP could have a look at uk.rec.cycling for more information on this
and other UK cycling related matters.

Old June 17th, 2005, 09:33 PM
congokid

In message , John
writes

I would be renting a bike, so I will assume they will provide everything
needed.

These ones do.

http://www.londonbicycle.com/

Old June 17th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Padraig Breathnach

congokid wrote:

In message , Padraig
Breathnach writes
congokid wrote:

In message .com,
george writes

never really looked, but can't remember seeing cyclists on central
London streets.

There are thousands of us. A pity more car drivers can't see us.

Jaysus, man! If they saw you, they'd run you down. Invisible is good.

Invisible is inevitable, it seems, in spite of the bright yellow
clothing many cyclists wear. 'Sorry mate, I didn't see you', or SMIDSY
for short, is the common refrain of drivers who pay more attention to
what's going on inside their cars than to other traffic around them.

It's worse than that. Motorists see four-wheeled vehicles, and some of
them see motorcycles. Those things are large enough to do damage to a
car and its occupants. Cyclists and pedestrians constitute no
significant threat, so are less likely to be seen.

Old June 20th, 2005, 08:58 AM
The Reids

Following up to John

Is it practical or safe to use a bicycle rather than Tube and buses to get
around London during daylight hours?
We have accommodations near Hammersmith and plan to use rented bikes to
sightsee within 5 miles of that area.

there are now plenty of cycle lanes but the main roads are busy
with traffic. BTW its about 6 miles in to the centre from
Hammersmith. Cycling along the river side (Thames path) might be
a good traffic free idea as long as you dont endanger walkers,
that way you get into the centre safely to have your bikes
stolen.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site