220 to 110 Voltage Convertor Continuous Use

Old June 21st, 2005, 07:44 PM
Juliana L Holm

Default 220 to 110 Voltage Convertor Continuous Use

I'm headed to Germany for two months in the fall and want to take a digital
camera, ipod, pda, videocamera. I want to get a good voltage convertor that
I can plug multiple things into, so I can recharge all these things without
breaking them. Thinking of getting a Voltage Convertor/transformer for
continuous use and plugging a power strip into it. Would that work? Would
I have problems? Anyone done this?

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:51 PM
Juha-Pekka Höglund

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:44:53, Juliana L Holm wrote:
I'm headed to Germany for two months in the fall and want to take a digital
camera, ipod, pda, videocamera. I want to get a good voltage convertor that
I can plug multiple things into, so I can recharge all these things without
breaking them. Thinking of getting a Voltage Convertor/transformer for
continuous use and plugging a power strip into it. Would that work? Would
I have problems? Anyone done this?

I suggest you check wether the chargers are "multi voltage" chargers. Most
modern chargers and powersupplies can take anything between 110 - 230 VAC.
This is usually mentioned in rather small text on the charger. If this is
the case, you would need only a plug adaptor.

--
Hymyile, huomenna on huonommin.
Smile, tomorrow will be worse.
Old June 21st, 2005, 08:16 PM
Dave Smith

Juliana L Holm wrote:

I'm headed to Germany for two months in the fall and want to take a digital
camera, ipod, pda, videocamera. I want to get a good voltage convertor that
I can plug multiple things into, so I can recharge all these things without
breaking them. Thinking of getting a Voltage Convertor/transformer for
continuous use and plugging a power strip into it. Would that work? Would
I have problems? Anyone done this?

It shouldn't be a problem if they are all low draw. I used a converter to recharge
camcorder batteries and had no problems. You can pick up a decent converter set at
any decent luggage store with enough adapters to get you juiced up anywhere in the
world.

Old June 21st, 2005, 08:25 PM
John Bermont

Juliana L Holm wrote:
I'm headed to Germany for two months in the fall and want to take a digital
camera, ipod, pda, videocamera. I want to get a good voltage convertor that
I can plug multiple things into, so I can recharge all these things without
breaking them. Thinking of getting a Voltage Convertor/transformer for
continuous use and plugging a power strip into it. Would that work? Would
I have problems? Anyone done this?

Julie

It would work with a transformer. I've done that. Do not use the so
called "converter." I suggest a transformer rated at twice the combined
power of all of your devices.

For more info see my chapters at
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap22/living.htm "Living in Europe" and
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap11/electric.htm "Electricity in
Europe."

A transformer can be very heavy so you might want to buy that at a
hardware store after you get to Germany. Bring the power strip from the
USA or you'll need plug converters for each device.

John Bermont
* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/

Old June 21st, 2005, 09:25 PM
george

John Bermont wrote:
A transformer can be very heavy so you might want to buy that at a
hardware store after you get to Germany. Bring the power strip from the
USA or you'll need plug converters for each device.

If you are going to buy a transformer (which you probably won't need,
see Juha-Pekka H=F6glund's post above which is probably correct
concerning your electrical items), buy it in the US. Transformers are
extremely expensive in Germany. After living in Germany for almost one
year I still haven't bought one but I will purchase one when next
visiting the US. You would only then need a plug adaptor for the
electrical socket. Forget the weight, your airline weight allowance is
so high that such a possibly heavy item probably will make no
difference. You should then also bring the power strip if needed.

Even if all your AC to DC power transfomers won't work on both 110V and
220V, only one that does may be sufficient if the DC voltages and DC
plug ends are the same, and the amps are sufficient for the highest
amperage electrical items.

George

Old June 21st, 2005, 09:27 PM
Juliana L Holm

Juha-Pekka Höglund wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:44:53, Juliana L Holm wrote:
I'm headed to Germany for two months in the fall and want to take a digital
camera, ipod, pda, videocamera. I want to get a good voltage convertor that
I can plug multiple things into, so I can recharge all these things without
breaking them. Thinking of getting a Voltage Convertor/transformer for
continuous use and plugging a power strip into it. Would that work? Would
I have problems? Anyone done this?

I suggest you check wether the chargers are "multi voltage" chargers. Most
modern chargers and powersupplies can take anything between 110 - 230 VAC.
This is usually mentioned in rather small text on the charger. If this is
the case, you would need only a plug adaptor.

I have a mix of this. The hard drive and the digital camera are multi voltage. The videocamera and the PDA, being older, are not. The ipod I've had trouble
determining. They don't say one way or the other.

Julie
--
Julie
**********
Old June 21st, 2005, 10:40 PM
Douglas W. Hoyt

I have a mix of this. The hard drive and the digital camera are multi
voltage. The videocamera and the PDA, being older, are not. The ipod
I've had trouble determining. They don't say one way or the other.

Wow--they must be pretty old--I can't imagine a hard drive not running
110-220 but if it says it can't, then you need a transformer. Be aware
(when I last bought one, at least) that there are sometimes two different
transformers you can get, a smaller lighter one for larger appliances that
use a lot of current (like hair dryers) and a bigger heavier one for small
electronics--you need to check the specs on your unit to be sure which one
to get (and hopefully you don't need both). If hardware stores don't have
them, try Radio Shack.

Old June 22nd, 2005, 02:31 AM
Juliana L Holm

Douglas W. Hoyt wrote:

Wow--they must be pretty old--I can't imagine a hard drive not running
110-220 but if it says it can't, then you need a transformer. Be aware
(when I last bought one, at least) that there are sometimes two different
transformers you can get, a smaller lighter one for larger appliances that
use a lot of current (like hair dryers) and a bigger heavier one for small
electronics--you need to check the specs on your unit to be sure which one
to get (and hopefully you don't need both). If hardware stores don't have
them, try Radio Shack.

I double checked them today. Only the PDA is truly not dual voltage (it's a
three or four year old Handspring Visor). The camera is as is the other
electronic equipment.

So for a 30 watt PDA that I charge up every week or so, do I need a transformer,or can I get by with a converter?

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old June 22nd, 2005, 10:04 AM
Miss L. Toe

"Juliana L Holm" wrote in message
Douglas W. Hoyt wrote:

[...]

Maybe its time to buy a new PDA ???

Old June 22nd, 2005, 12:59 PM
Juliana L Holm

Miss L. Toe wrote:
Maybe its time to buy a new PDA ???

I don't like replacing things that are working well. It's a philosophical thing
disposable society and all that. The PDA works very well, I'd just as soon kee
it.

Plus, I think I can borrow a convertor if that is all I need.

Julie

--
Julie