Eurail Pass Information

Old June 22nd, 2005, 11:16 PM
Hatunen

On 22 Jun 2005 17:53:34 +0100, Des Small
wrote:

"tim \(moved to sweden\)" writes:

"Des Small" wrote in message

I've applied for publictransportasylum in Sweden, for sure.

What do you expect to find different here?

I went on Swedish trains last year. They weren't exactly cheap, but
they were clean and they worked. That is two (2) significant
diffences from Britain.

You'll even recognise the names. There's a Connex logo on the
side of the trains, an Arriva logo on (my) local buses and
Stagecoach recently bought the long distance bus company.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll try Finland instead...

Finland has pretty good rail service. And public transport in
Helsinki is just fine.

Old June 23rd, 2005, 10:19 AM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Deep Foiled Malls wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:47:03 +0000 (UTC), "ALAN HARRISON"
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message
.. .

However, this won't usually work if you make a spur-of-the-moment
decision to run up to Milano while standing in the Venice
station.

However, Italian fares are extremely cheap, and I have never seen a lower
price than the walk-up fare advertised on the Trenitalia site for "ordinary"
passengers without some kind of discount card.

They are cheap, and the trains are usually clean, even if not
reliable.

Conversely, British trains are expensive, often filthy, often very
old, often delayed,

I'm the first to complain about UK trains being expensive (though you
can often book apex deals etc.), and they're certainly not always on
time, though to tell the truth, I've not been delayed very much in the
last year now, and I travel a lot. However, there has been a massive
overhaul of rolling stock, and much of it is quite new. You'll still
find old slam-door trains on various commuter routes, but on the whole,
it's pretty modern now.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net