travel insurance in case of cancellation (was does Carnival refund mone ever)

Old November 21st, 2005, 03:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default travel insurance in case of cancellation (was does Carnival refund mone ever)

I received a quote from CSA Travel Insurance today in case we need to
cancel. My mother is in the hospital and it's touch and go at this point.
The cruise is Saturday. If my mother passes away anytime this week, I may
have to cancel our cruise. We've been looking forward to this cruise since
March and it's our first one. Stupidly, we relied on the person who was in
charge of buying the tickets and setting up the trip. The travel agent was
in NJ and we are in FL. We just received our tickets Saturday.

Does anyone know anything about CSA and is it unusual to buy insurance at
the last minute?

Barb

Old November 21st, 2005, 03:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote in message
I received a quote from CSA Travel Insurance today in case we need to
cancel. My mother is in the hospital and it's touch and go at this point.
The cruise is Saturday. If my mother passes away anytime this week, I may
have to cancel our cruise. We've been looking forward to this cruise

since
March and it's our first one. Stupidly, we relied on the person who was

in
charge of buying the tickets and setting up the trip. The travel agent

was
in NJ and we are in FL. We just received our tickets Saturday.

Does anyone know anything about CSA and is it unusual to buy insurance at
the last minute?

Barb

You can buy all the insurance you want at the last minute. Getting them to
pay the claim if your mothers dies is, however, a different matter. In
other words, you are screwed.

Old November 21st, 2005, 03:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 10:15:13 -0500, wrote:

I received a quote from CSA Travel Insurance today in case we need to
cancel. My mother is in the hospital and it's touch and go at this point.

Hi,

Your CSA insurance will NOT cover you for the above. Don't bother
buying it to cover you in case you can not go because of your mother.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old November 21st, 2005, 03:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Barb,

This is somewhat different from the first post on this subject.

You can look at www.InsureMyTrip.com and get quotes on a lot of polices. You
might not be able to read the full thing without committing to it, but it
you look carefully many will give you time to look it over and cancel. Might
be worth your time to do it.

Specifically try to identify your situation. This may well fall under pre
existing and not be covered by any of them.

You may also want to think long and hard about all of the what-ifs now, not
in the moment.

Marsha

Old November 21st, 2005, 05:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Marsha L" wrote:

This is somewhat different from the first post on this subject.

You can look at www.InsureMyTrip.com and get quotes on a lot of polices. You
might not be able to read the full thing without committing to it, but it
you look carefully many will give you time to look it over and cancel. Might
be worth your time to do it.

Specifically try to identify your situation. This may well fall under pre
existing and not be covered by any of them.

You may also want to think long and hard about all of the what-ifs now, not
in the moment.

My mom had somewhat the same situation many years ago (early 60s).
Her dad was sick and in the hospital, but seemed to be stable and on
the road to recovery, so she went on a semi-business trip to Europe
with my dad. (He was attending an international scientific meeting
where he was scheduled to give a paper, and also meeting with his
publisher but they were also doing some touring and visited my sister
who was living over there then).

My grandfather died somewhat unexpectedly while she was there. At
that time, she didn't fly (she does now), and she obviously couldn't
come back the way she went (by ship) in a timely manner, so she didn't
come home for the funeral. I went in her stead.

Her thinking was - he was already dead. She couldn't do anything more
for him at that point and I could deal with her stepmother.

wrote in message
. ..
I received a quote from CSA Travel Insurance today in case we need to
cancel. My mother is in the hospital and it's touch and go at this point.
The cruise is Saturday. If my mother passes away anytime this week, I may
have to cancel our cruise. We've been looking forward to this cruise since
March and it's our first one. Stupidly, we relied on the person who was
in charge of buying the tickets and setting up the trip. The travel agent
was in NJ and we are in FL. We just received our tickets Saturday.

What will you do if she dies AFTER you leave? If you would leave the
cruise and come home, then you might want to just go ahead and cancel
the cruise now. Or at least accept that you will be canceling it - I
would not expect to be able to buy insurance against this now.

grandma Rosalie
Old November 26th, 2005, 04:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Newsgroups: rec.travel.cruises
From: Rosalie B. - Find messages by this
author

"My mom had somewhat the same situation many years ago (early 60s).
Her dad was sick and in the hospital, but seemed to be stable and on
the road to recovery, so she went on a semi-business trip to Europe
with my dad. (He was attending an international scientific meeting
where he was scheduled to give a paper, and also meeting with his
publisher but they were also doing some touring and visited my sister
who was living over there then).

My grandfather died somewhat unexpectedly while she was there. At
that time, she didn't fly (she does now), and she obviously couldn't
come back the way she went (by ship) in a timely manner, so she didn't
come home for the funeral. I went in her stead.

Her thinking was - he was already dead. She couldn't do anything more
for him at that point and I could deal with her stepmother."

My in-laws were discussing this not too long ago and my father-in-law
was saying that's what he would do, too, and if something like that
happened to one of them, he would hope if were on a cruise or somewhere
on vacation, that we would do the same thing. For a minute I was kind
of taken aback. But, he's right. I think the only people who would
really care are the other friends and relatives. Obviously whomever
died wouldn't. But, I know it's still a hard one to come to terms with
if you've always been taught to be there to "respect the dead with your
last wishes, etc.".

Lindsay

Old November 26th, 2005, 07:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

If my cow died while on a cruise, I'd have a seaside burial. My kids don't
particularlie care for her!
oups.com...
Newsgroups: rec.travel.cruises

Old December 7th, 2005, 03:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Thus spake :

wrote:
I received a quote from CSA Travel Insurance today in case we need to
cancel. My mother is in the hospital and it's touch and go at this point.
The cruise is Saturday. If my mother passes away anytime this week, I may
have to cancel our cruise. We've been looking forward to this cruise since
March and it's our first one. Stupidly, we relied on the person who was in
charge of buying the tickets and setting up the trip. The travel agent was
in NJ and we are in FL. We just received our tickets Saturday.

Does anyone know anything about CSA and is it unusual to buy insurance at
the last minute?

Barb

CSA is a very good company. If you read their policies carefully you
will see that the pre-existing conditions exclusion only applies to
"family members" traveling with you and does not apply to a
non-traveling family member such as your Mother. This definition is
similar in policies written by TravelSafe, Travel Insurance Services,
and Global Alert. In cases like this, as long as the potential loss is
not foreseen at the time you buy the insurance, you should be covered.

"My mother is in the hospital and it's touch and go at this point"

That's what I'd call a forseen incident.
--
dillon

666 permissions of the beast