Avoid Delta and Atlanta

Old July 26th, 2006, 10:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Default Draconian vacation policies for US slave workers

Keith W writes:

30 deg and 32% humidity isnt extreme, they regard such conditions
as positively chilly in the Far East

It's difficult to even sleep in such conditions, and in the Far East,
they have air conditioning, like everywhere else.

Old July 26th, 2006, 10:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Default Heating, cooling, and popular delusions and manias

orange flamingo writes:

I've lived most of my life in the American South. I hate the heat,
and anything over 80F is hot to me. I love the cold, but not below
freezing (32F). However, I seem to be in the minority. Most people
it seems are perfectly happy when it's in the 90s even with high
humidity, which is weather that makes me feel miserable. Those same
people start shivering and putting on sweaters if the temperature
drops a degree below 70F. I cannot relate to that at all. It has to
go below 50F before I even start to think about putting on long
sleeves.

I'm the same way. I grew up in the desert. Heat and sunlight are bad
things in my memory.

Old July 26th, 2006, 10:30 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Dave Frightens Me writes:

Less body hair maybe?

Many of them are underweight and very lightly dressed.

There are studies, however, that show that women as a group tend to
complain more about cool temperatures than men, even though they are
actually better at tolerating cold (whereas men are actually better at
tolerating heat).

Old July 26th, 2006, 10:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Sarah Banick writes:

Seems to me that she was only person properly dressed for steamy July day.

A lot of people aren't allowed to dress in tube tops.

When I worked in downtown Atlanta, we loved to see all the lawyers etc. go
out to lunch with their suit jackets and long sleeved shirts when it was 95
degrees (in case they ran into another lawyer, they have to look right)

Perhaps they love to set the thermostats to 60° when you're in a tube
top, if they are as unheedful of the Golden Rule as you appear to be.

Old July 26th, 2006, 10:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

Mxsmanic wrote:

Miguel Cruz writes:

That's irrelevant. We are only talking about the people who need cooling
or heating.

That certainly includes warm and hot climates.

The people who are able to survive just fine (e.g., almost
all of the people living in warm or hot climates) are not among that
number.

I wouldn't call living in dirt huts "just fine." In hot countries
where people are living in something better than dirt huts, there is
air conditioning.

Among those who do need some sort of climate control in order to
survive, the number who need heating is greater than the number who need
cooling.

You're certain of this?

Miguel lived in Washington DC for years and didn't use air conditioning
in his flat...

[How ya doin' Miguel? Good to see ya :-) ]

--
Best
Greg

Old July 26th, 2006, 11:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Dave Frightens Me

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 23:16:39 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Miguel Cruz writes:

That's irrelevant. We are only talking about the people who need cooling
or heating.

That certainly includes warm and hot climates.

The people who are able to survive just fine (e.g., almost
all of the people living in warm or hot climates) are not among that
number.

I wouldn't call living in dirt huts "just fine." In hot countries
where people are living in something better than dirt huts, there is
air conditioning.

Name a few such countries.

Among those who do need some sort of climate control in order to
survive, the number who need heating is greater than the number who need
cooling.

You're certain of this?

It is correct. Removal of heat is far less important than the
insurance of warmth.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:02 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Dave Frightens Me

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 23:17:31 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Dave Frightens Me writes:

Then you need to get used to it, like anyone else. It is possible if
you try. I know, because I have.

I'll tell people that when it's 18° C in the room and they want to
turn up the heat.

You would have equal numbers telling you to leave it just where it is.
--
---
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:03 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Dave Frightens Me

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 23:18:12 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Keith W writes:

30 deg and 32% humidity isnt extreme, they regard such conditions
as positively chilly in the Far East

It's difficult to even sleep in such conditions, and in the Far East,
they have air conditioning, like everywhere else.

No, they don't. Go there, and you will see.

Damn, there's a big hole in your reality...
--
---
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:13 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Dave Frightens Me writes:

Name a few such countries.

Essentially all of them: Singapore, India, Thailand, Nigeria, Saudi
Arabia, etc. They all have air conditioning. While the Third World
may still lag somewhat behind the most developed countries, it hasn't
been standing still.

It is correct. Removal of heat is far less important than the
insurance of warmth.

Actually, maintenance of core temperature is important, irrespective
of external temperature. However, it is much easier to keep core
temperature from dropping than it is to keep it from rising, since the
former requires only warm clothing, whereas the latter requires active
(and often external and mechanical) cooling. Also, whereas
hypothermia is potentially survivable in certain cases, hyperthermia
generally is not.

Old July 27th, 2006, 12:13 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Dave Frightens Me writes:

You would have equal numbers telling you to leave it just where it is.

It depends on how many women are in the room.