Beware of the Phuong Nam hotel in Hanoi

Old October 3rd, 2006, 01:22 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
mehere

Default Beware of the Phuong Nam hotel in Hanoi

My girlfriend and I were taken to the Phuong Nam hotel at 16 Bao Khanh
St in Hanoi by the airport mini bus. The receptionist told us that
they were the Freedom Hotel and so did the driver and other guy (?)
that sat in the front with him. The hotel wasn't that bad but the
night life in there was.

The hotel is a short time hotel for very young boys and mainly fat old
western men. The staff were really horrible and after we complained
seemed to want to tease us about it. Lots of sneering and whispers as
we came and left. We stupidly paid for two nights in advance because
we had booked by email the other hotel. We checked out and into the
real Freedom Hotel and it was very nice with no ugly and horrid
business. Please be very careful.

These monsters make me sick. Lee Mathews.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:11 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chuck Whealton

mehere wrote:
My girlfriend and I were taken to the Phuong Nam hotel at 16 Bao Khanh
St in Hanoi by the airport mini bus. The receptionist told us that
they were the Freedom Hotel and so did the driver and other guy (?)
that sat in the front with him. The hotel wasn't that bad but the
night life in there was.

The hotel is a short time hotel for very young boys and mainly fat old
western men. The staff were really horrible and after we complained
seemed to want to tease us about it. Lots of sneering and whispers as
we came and left. We stupidly paid for two nights in advance because
we had booked by email the other hotel. We checked out and into the
real Freedom Hotel and it was very nice with no ugly and horrid
business. Please be very careful.

These monsters make me sick. Lee Mathews.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad time in Hanoi. I imagine I
would have also been unhappy if I'm correctly interpreting what you're
saying.

We stayed in Hanoi for a very short time and luckily, the place we
stayed (can't even remember it's name) wasn't bad at all. That was via
the Saigon Tourist travel agency, which to the best of my knowledge is
basically the Government's tourist agency.

Most of our trip was based out of Saigon in a small hotel right in the
middle of town. It was really nice. I hope your next trip is much
better than this one appears to have been because Vietnam is a really
great place with great people.

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

Old October 4th, 2006, 09:12 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Chuck Whealton" kirjoitti
egroups.com...

Most of our trip was based out of Saigon in a small hotel right in the
middle of town. It was really nice. I hope your next trip is much
better than this one appears to have been because Vietnam is a really
great place with great people.

In a relatively fresh guide book on Vietnam the authors say that it is
typical that foreigners have to pay many times more on intercity bus rides
as one example. That many times bus companies don't even sell you a ticket
at counter but you have to "bargain" the price right with the bus driver.
Have you experienced this?

Old October 4th, 2006, 10:54 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chuck Whealton

Markku Grönroos wrote:
"Chuck Whealton" kirjoitti
egroups.com...

Most of our trip was based out of Saigon in a small hotel right in the
middle of town. It was really nice. I hope your next trip is much
better than this one appears to have been because Vietnam is a really
great place with great people.

In a relatively fresh guide book on Vietnam the authors say that it is
typical that foreigners have to pay many times more on intercity bus rides
as one example. That many times bus companies don't even sell you a ticket
at counter but you have to "bargain" the price right with the bus driver.
Have you experienced this?

Markku, no we didn't experience that. When we were there, it was
inexpensive enough that we just took taxis or got drivers for day
trips.

Old October 4th, 2006, 12:38 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
mehere

On 3 Oct 2006 15:11:16 -0700, "Chuck Whealton"
wrote:

mehere wrote:
[...]

I should have said more about the real Freedom Hotel actually as it
really was a nice place to stay. It seems we just got off on the
wrong foot by taking the airport mini bus service who have
arrangements with some of the nastier hotels who can't get people to
stay there otherwise.

One of the reasons we were happy to get out of the bus was the
harassment by the drivers mate who got on as the bus was leaving the
airport.

Next time we'll take taxis instead.
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:00 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Me

Default Beware of the Nam Phuong hotel in Hanoi

My girlfriend and I were taken to the Nam Phuong hotel at 16 Bao Khanh
St in Hanoi by the airport mini bus scam.

The hotel is a short time hotel for very young boys and mainly fat old
western men. The staff were really horrible and after we complained
seemed to want to tease us about it. Lots of sneering and whispers as
we came and left.

Don't stay there !!!

Old March 25th, 2010, 09:21 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt[_2_]

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 19:00:22 +1100, Me wrote:

My girlfriend and I were taken to the Nam Phuong hotel at 16 Bao Khanh
St in Hanoi by the airport mini bus scam.

The hotel is a short time hotel for very young boys and mainly fat old
western men. The staff were really horrible and after we complained
seemed to want to tease us about it. Lots of sneering and whispers as
we came and left.

I wonder why its mainly the fat old ones who choose that hotel? The
younger skinny ones must take their boys somewhere else :-)