Pocket PC - GPS Attachment Purchased

Old May 15th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Steve Hennessey

Default Pocket PC - GPS Attachment Purchased

I want to thank everyone for their contributions to my initial post.
Particularly Mark who provided me with a device from which I could start
making comparisons.

I've purchased the Deluo CF GPS and a 5-meter active antenna. I supplemented
my new device with 2 map software packages. I purchased Routis for land use,
and Fugawi for cruising (yes, i know, Fugawi sounds like the stuff that
grows under toe nails

My purchase was completed with a PDA harness and power supply for the car,
and a PCMCIA adapter for my laptop.

Everything in my kit can be reviewed at www.deluo.com

I now have a couple of weeks to 'play' with my new toy before I attempt my
first cruisathon.

I'll be aboard Radiance of the Seas for the 5/29 7-day Inside Passage
sailing. Because RoTS provides in-cabin internet access I'll be taking my
laptop in preference to my PDA. I'll be in a balcony cabin. Here's what I'm
hoping to do:

Plug in my laptop to the ship's 120v power supply
Plug in the PCMCIA/CF GPS card
Connect the 5-meter active antenna (waterproof with magnetic base), and
attach it to the balcony rail.
Turn on the PC
Open the appropriate map application
Review PC screen at regular intervals throughout the 7 days

Pretty neat huh? I wonder what my chances are of actually succeeding

Of course it probably means having the balcony door ajar throughout the
cruise, but we typically do that anyway. I'm a Brit! I begin to melt at 70
degrees F! I hope the cabin attendant doesn't 'cut the cord' whilst
following procedure (closing balcony doors).

Wish me luck,
Steve.

Old May 15th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Mark K - SF

Enjoy and Bon Voyage!

Let us know how it worked for ya'

Mark

Everything in my kit can be reviewed at www.deluo.com

[...]

Hope everything goes well for you. I used a Garmin 76S with an external
antenna on our recent Panama Canal cruise on "Legend of the Seas". We also
had a balcony cabin. Deck #9, the pool deck, has an overhang of 5-6' which
was two decks above our deck. It blocked about 20 degrees of the sky. This
may have been partly responsible for loss of signal on a number of
occasions; signal loss lasting 1-20 minutes. Still I was able to "record"
ninety percent of the trip and thought it was great fun. HAVE A GREAT
TIME!!!

Neil

Old May 15th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Kurt Ullman

In article , Lee Lindquist
wrote:
On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:15:26 -0700, "Steve Hennessey"
wrote:

I've purchased the Deluo CF GPS and a 5-meter active antenna. I supplemented
my new device with 2 map software packages. I purchased Routis for land use,
and Fugawi for cruising (yes, i know, Fugawi sounds like the stuff that
grows under toe nails

I assume most people know that fugawi is WWII slang
for -- where the F are we.

Less well know, it was the name of the indian
tribe on F-Troop.

The name of the FTroop Indians was The Hekawi (per the Internet Movie
Database). OK, so I am a little anal retentive at times (grin)

"Writers even write the silences"
-J. Michael Straczynski