Milan - Paris (Routes, cost etc.)

Old July 25th, 2004, 01:14 AM
Piper

Default Milan - Paris (Routes, cost etc.)

First of all:it's better Milan -Parois by train,and then to Barcelona by
flight,maybe with ryanair (www.ryanair.com) if there's a flight between
Paris ansd Barcelona. By train from Milan to Paris is about 7hours if you
catch the TGV,otherwise,10hours,which is the cheapest way I think,check on
this website www.trenitalia.com . You don't cross Switzerland...you should
take another train,I think a couple with a change,and it's more expensive. I
don't know if you can stop during the way and catch another train. It's not
worth going to Turin. Milan is a nice city,even you think the contrary...of
course it's not the right period to see the city..it's hot and humid,many
restaurants and pubs are close,and it's true,it's expensive for a
tourist...but we have the most wonderful theatre in the world,La Scala
(which is still under restoration unfortunately)...you can see the
cathedral,the castle,lots of paintings,some churches really nice,a famous
painting made by Leonardo da Vinci,"the last supper",which is in a gorgeous
church....the Gallery,a couple of nice gardens,the Real Palace...and many
other attractions...everyone thinks Milan it's awful and that it's not worth
stopping here,but it's not,it's nice...and the shopping is great! But,as I
told you before,it's a bad period to visit it,so it's better stay here 1 day
or a couple of days,and then moving away...

Veronica

PS: you can stop in Lione,in France,it's not bad at all....
"Jane" ha scritto nel messaggio
om...
Hi,

A friend and I are arriving Milan on 30 July 2004 and need to be in
Barcelona by 7 August. We want to visit Paris in the interim, and
don't want to go to Venice, Florence and Rome etc., since we will be
visiting the area in a later leg of our trip.

Our plan is to spend little time in Milan (1 day) because it is
expensive and there is nothing much to see.

We are thinking of doing Milan -(by train)- Paris - (by air) -
Barcelona.

We'd like to visit as many places as is reasonably feasible on the
Milan - Paris route. (eg Turin etc. - any other advice?) I would
really like to plan the itinery. Since I intend to spend 4 days in
Paris, I have 4 days to spend on this route. Please let me know of any
other places I can possibly visit.

Also, where can I buy the cheapest ticket from for the Milan-Paris
route? Is it available on the Internet? There are dozens of trains in
Europe and I am really confused. I'm looking for the cheapest option.
Anything I need to note about reservations etc.? What about buses?

How much should I expect to pay per ticket for the Milan to Paris
train journey? Also, if I bought a Milan Paris train ticket, would I
be able to get down along the way spend the night and re-alight to
stretch my journey to the 4 day period?

I would love to go via switzerland (for the scenic route), but I have
an Indian passport and I believe I would need a visa to stop at
switzerland. I was wondering if I could still go by the milan to paris
train via laussane, without a visa (without alighting) or would I need
to alight and consequently need a visa for switzerland? If so, would I
get a transit visa on arrival?

Lastly, is it better to fly Milan - Paris and go by rail from Paris to
Barcelona?

Thanks in advance!
Jane

Old July 25th, 2004, 11:38 AM
j.e.r.

(Jane) wrote in message . com...
Hi,

A friend and I are arriving Milan on 30 July 2004 and need to be in
Barcelona by 7 August. We want to visit Paris in the interim, and
don't want to go to Venice, Florence and Rome etc., since we will be
visiting the area in a later leg of our trip.

Our plan is to spend little time in Milan (1 day) because it is
expensive and there is nothing much to see.

Most people knowing Milano probably will disagre with the
last part of above sentence ......

[...]

I use
http://www.rail.ch/index_e.htm for planning rail-trips,
http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en? for time-tables.
Unfortunately, prices are only available for trips within
Switzerland, but detailed trip information is displayed also
for international itineraries (itinerary with all stops)

Using French railways http://www.sncf.fr/indexe.htm price
displayed for an adult one way 2nd class trip was 49.20 Euro.

I would love to go via switzerland (for the scenic route), but I have
an Indian passport and I believe I would need a visa to stop at
switzerland. I was wondering if I could still go by the milan to paris
train via laussane, without a visa (without alighting) or would I need
to alight and consequently need a visa for switzerland? If so, would I
get a transit visa on arrival?

For visa information regarding Switzerland, contact the embassy
or other diplomatic representation in charge of the area your
are living. One of the lists available on the net is at
http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/e/home/emb/addch.html

Assuming you dont need or can get a visa for Switzerland on
time, have a look at http://www.rail.ch/pv/incoming_e.htm
especially scenic routes at http://www.rail.ch/pv/sts-pano_e.htm
just be aware that regular tickets tend to be kind of
expensive, so either limit your trip to a detour such
as Milano-Lucerne-Bruenig-Interlaken-Lausanne-Paris or use
a pass for travelling (train, bus, ship) several days in
Switzerland (and place an other posting for recommendations
on travelling in Switzerland)

Lastly, is it better to fly Milan - Paris and go by rail from Paris to
Barcelona?

I would opt for Milano-Paris by train and fly from Paris to
Barcelona; if I had enough time even both by train (Milano
Paris starts at 6:45, via Lausanne around 8 hours, wheras
Paris to Barcelona takes 8:24 or more)

Have a great trip jer(at)iprolink(dot)ch

Old July 26th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Jane

Thanks for your replies! I found them extremely helpful.

Using French railways http://www.sncf.fr/indexe.htm price
displayed for an adult one way 2nd class trip was 49.20 Euro.

I was quite excited about the 49.20 Euro price, but unfortunately, I
cannot see it online Somehow, I keep going back to the same point
on the website. Is it because my departure date is July 31?

Also, do you think I'd be able to buy the ticket over the counter in
Milan? I prefer doing it online, actually.

Another thing is - are intermediate stops allowed?
.... and what are the stops worth stopping at?

What is this about where tickets need to be delivered? Can I just pick
them up from a Milan station? The reason I'm asking is that I live
overseas, and even if it is Fedexed, there is no way the tickets will
reach me before I get depart.

Thanks!
Jane

Old July 28th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Martin Bienwald

Jane schrieb:

Also, do you think I'd be able to buy the ticket over the counter in
Milan?

Of course. There is a special ticket office for international travel
(where some of the staff even speak English ;-)).

Another thing is - are intermediate stops allowed?

Regular (full-fare) international train tickets are valid for 2 months
(e.g. from July 28 to September 27). Any number of intermediate stops
is allowed.

Special offers may have other terms and conditions.

.... Martin
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Martin Bienwald

Jane schrieb:

I would love to go via switzerland (for the scenic route), but I have
an Indian passport and I believe I would need a visa to stop at
switzerland. I was wondering if I could still go by the milan to paris
train via laussane, without a visa (without alighting) or would I need
to alight and consequently need a visa for switzerland?

Even if you won't alight, you'll need a visa. Immigration/customs officers
will board the train before crossing the border and check passports and
visas during the ride.

If so, would I
get a transit visa on arrival?

Sorry, I don't know that.

.... Martin

Old July 29th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Buddy Romaine

Sorry, I missed the beginning of this thread but why won't you fly
volareweb for 39.99 Euro..there's a flight this Saturday night.

http://buy.volareweb.com/skylights/c...gi?language=en

andrew.

On 25 Jul 2004 19:27:21 -0700, (Jane) wrote:

[...]

Carnival Tropicale 1982
NCL Dawn 2004