Paris Notes (2)

Old July 28th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Padraig Breathnach

Default Paris Notes (2)

Ronald Hands wrote:

poldy wrote:

I like flaneur (there should be a circonflexe over the a).

Edmund White wrote an enjoyable book titled The Flaneur: a
stroll through the paradoxes of Paris (Bloomsbury, 2001).
The woman who wrote the Letter from Paris for the New Yorker
magazine for many years chose the pen name Janet Flanner, which
many suspected was a tribute to "flâneur". I think Walter
Benjamin also wrote an essay defining the breed.
I like the word, too.

I leave it to you; I'm a boulevardier.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old July 28th, 2004, 12:38 AM
James Silverton

"poldy" wrote in message newsoldy-\
You can always tell which places are "authentic." You see Mexicans
going there and they feature things like lengua and barbacoa.

Why not go to Mexico sometime? There is no such thing as an overall
*Mexican* cooking. Each region is different, for example Veracruz and
Oaxaca both of which have wonderful and different cuisines.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Old July 28th, 2004, 01:31 AM
randee

Houston 'Mexican' is quite bland in my experience, El Paso would be
better....................
--
wf.

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:

You really should try some Mexican food. If you cannot manage Mexico I
can make some suggestions in Houston.

Old July 28th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Frank F. Matthews

poldy wrote:

In article ,
Olivers wrote:

While Houston may not be near to Madrid, it's near to Mexico, and the
largest single component of its population is now or will soon be Hispanic,
most of them of Mexican origin. With that many Mexican Americans (and no
small supply of illegals/mojados), the number and variety of Mexican
restaurants, not just "TexMex, a style of its own, but of everyone of
Mexico's numerous regional cuisines (or local adaptations), is almost
limitless. Within a single couple of miles on one street, I can dine from
Matamoros to Baja and down to the Guatamalan Border and most stops in
between, from street food to high dollar emulations of upscale Mexico City.

That's why Frank (and most other of we Texans who disgree on much but less
often on Mexican food) might not expect much from a Madrid Taqueria.

But most Americans probably experience "Mexican food" at Taco Bell or
Chili's, Chevy's or regional taqueria chains.

You can always tell which places are "authentic." You see Mexicans
going there and they feature things like lengua and barbacoa.

No sorry. That is a part of authentic Mexican cuisine. However it also
includes a wide variety of high class regional cuisines. Your statement
is like unto saying that you can tell authentic French food when it is a
creperie.

Old July 28th, 2004, 04:52 AM
Mxsmanic

poldy writes:

Is it popular with the locals or tourists? Americans surely know a
placed called "Indiana's" serving Tex Mex is absurd.

Like a place called McDonald's serving French fries?

So who's going to these places?

Mostly young French wannabes.

Old July 28th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Olivers

poldy extrapolated from data available...

You can always tell which places are "authentic." You see Mexicans
going there and they feature things like lengua and barbacoa.

Lengua and barbacoa are only authentic in the sense that they are popular
in some of the Northern regions of Mexico, but may relatively unknown
elsewhere. The big debate might well be over whether "TexMex" is authentic
Mexican food - and it must be since in the little neighbodd restaurants in
the Southwest where the clientele is overwhelmingly mexican in origin, the
menus are built on TexMex standards. So ChiChi's or on the Border or even
the ubiquitous Taco Bell may not be so unMexican at all, certainly no more
so than a Mexican resurant in Madrid (or no more so than the churros in
Monterrey are as "Spanish" as are the ones in Madrid.

Arguing over "autentico" may be no wiser than debating the line drawn on
the Map of Mexico where on one side the beans are brown and on the other
black (ignoring the dangerous islands of red).

TMO
Old July 28th, 2004, 03:36 PM
billfrogg

Padraig Breathnach wrote:

Ronald Hands wrote:

poldy wrote:

I like flaneur (there should be a circonflexe over the a).

Edmund White wrote an enjoyable book titled The Flaneur: a
stroll through the paradoxes of Paris (Bloomsbury, 2001).
The woman who wrote the Letter from Paris for the New Yorker
magazine for many years chose the pen name Janet Flanner, which
many suspected was a tribute to "flâneur". I think Walter
Benjamin also wrote an essay defining the breed.
I like the word, too.

I leave it to you; I'm a boulevardier.

New Yorker Letter from Paris....I was always under the impression
that Janet Flanner was indeed Janet Flanner. I do definitely remember
that she wrote under the pen name Genet, which confused me no end as a
youngster as I wanted to link that name with Jean Genet. I think Ms
Flanner was playing with the heads of us innocents.... billfrogg