who knows the correct answer?

Old September 22nd, 2004, 04:47 AM
maxi

after all: is it true or not true?

"AlmostBob" schreef in bericht
Idiot,
I am Australian, you know Down Under, Southern Hemisphere,
now resident in Canada, Northern Hemisphere.
I have actual experience, I do not base my thought on something I have
only
read, written by someone else who has no idea what they are speaking
about.
Suggest you travel a bit, get some experience, some knowlege, and in
general
come back when you get a clue

Old September 22nd, 2004, 02:50 PM
AlmostBob

true

--
Ever wonder why Evian water is $3 for a half litre
Try spelling evian backwards

Computer chips are very small, Computers don't eat much.
_ _

news | after all: is it true or not true?

Old September 22nd, 2004, 02:50 PM
AlmostBob

true

Old September 22nd, 2004, 02:50 PM
AlmostBob

true

Old September 22nd, 2004, 05:24 PM
maxi

thx!
discussion closed

Old September 23rd, 2004, 04:39 AM
Terry Russell

"JohnM" wrote in message
In article , AlmostBob anonymous
writes
From the Urban Legends website

http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.htm

Claim: Thanks to the Coriolis effect, toilets flush clockwise in the
northern hemisphere and counterclockwise in the southern.

over a few million flushes there should be slightly more one way

On the other hand perhaps when faced with a decision the
majority of designers elect to direct the swirl one way or the other.
Or perhaps, believing Coriolis is significant, they design
to work with the assumed rotation preference in each hemisphere.

The twisting effect of the Coriolis force is real and does influence
certain large things like the movement of air masses, but the effect is
so small that it plays no role in determining the direction in which
water rotates as it exits from a draining sink or toilet. The Coriolis

Influences but does not determine, good.

The belief that the Coriolis force influences the direction in which
water drains from plumbing fixtures is widespread and has been repeated
as fact in a number of venues, including popular television shows (such
as world traveler Michael Palin's Pole to Pole) and even in textbooks.
We can only speculate on why people are so enamored of this snippet of
misinformation, guessing that it has something to do with the desire to
find some of the mysteries of science in the realm of the everyday.

People aren't very good at relativities and caveat weighting.
We work best with simple sterotypes, models and rules of thumb.
The spin doctors and meme artists exploit this.
A little bias goes a long way.

Heat a pot of water, some movement for Coriolis to work with,
does it start spinning?

Old September 23rd, 2004, 06:00 PM
AlmostBob

find one, just one sink, tub, coffee cup when you add milk, bucket, or any
other vessel of any shape, design construction or method of manufacture,
that runs the other way when water is added or removed
Since it is your contention that the design is the only cause there should be
in your location a design that runs differently,

Newsflash the conspiracy theorists are not right, there isnt a worldwide
conspiracy to make idiots think that the water flushes differently, it does
and idiots can think anything your tiny minds desire

_ _

u...

Old September 23rd, 2004, 06:00 PM
AlmostBob