bkk to Angkor bus/scams???

Old October 25th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Per Löwdin

Default bkk to Angkor bus/scams???

The price was of december 2002 100 baht. And if you can make it on your
own
you will probably pay 3-4 times that amount. You will most likely do the
trip somewhat faster.

Maybe, but just maybe, I think. The border crossing is mildly confusing,
going from Thailand to Cambodia, is kind of like going from Germany to
India, in two minutes. The Khao San Rd tours to Siam Riep are dirt cheap.
Their agents herd you through customs etc and send you along pretty
efficiently and for Cambodian standards rather comfortably. The local shared
long distance taxis are not particularly comfortable have a look at this one
http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/sea02/cambodia0112.jpg the girls are peddling
edible spiders, a local delicacy that Skoun is renowned for.

The problem with the Khao San Rd operators is that they may sell the ride as
a five star trip, it is not (if you expect it to be you will feel cheated),
but if you don´t expect it to be that it is probably the easisest way to get
to Siam Riep, unless of course you want to stop and spend time in places on
the way there. There are some more images from the Poipet - Siam Riep road
at the bottom of this page http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/sea02/album2.html and
the next if anyone is interested.

Per
http://www.lowdin.nu

Old October 25th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Eric Edwards

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 09:28:23 GMT, Thomas F. Unke wrote:
(Eric Edwards) writes:

Rush fees are unnecessary. Skip the middlemen. Go to the embassy in
the morning. Pay your US$20. Collect your passport with visa in the
afternoon. US$20 was about 1800 baht when I was there in April.

You were heavily cheated. US$20 is around 900B.

Which is less than 1000 baht and what I actually meant to write but for
the mysterious doubling factor that appeared between brain the keyboard.

--
Use the From: header. Sending mail to
or
Old October 25th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Michael Christoffersen

"Eric Edwards" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:32:12 +0200, Michael Christoffersen

wrote:
I paid a "rush fee" to have it ready I believe the following day. That

was
1.100 bht. A standard price was 1.000 baht but that would take like 2-3
days.

Rush fees are unnecessary. Skip the middlemen. Go to the embassy in
the morning. Pay your US$20. Collect your passport with visa in the
afternoon. US$20 was about 1800 baht when I was there in April.

--

Hi Eric,

You are probably right about that. However, going to the embassy two times
in one day definitely involves more hassle and more money than paying lousy
100 baht for a "rush fee".
If I were in a hurry, I would however consider doing it the way you suggest.
Cheers
Michael Christoffersen

Old November 26th, 2003, 07:35 AM
SportChick

We stayed at a VERY nice guesthouse, Dara Guesthouse, run by Mrs Ouk Sang
(#10 Sivatha St, Siem Reap, www.angkorhotels.org Tel855) 12 63 04 48).
They had a nice room for $5/night with attached bath, TV, and Fan. We did
the self-trip TO Siem Reap (but not from Bangkok) and took a "minivan/bus"
back. The only complaint we had on the return trip was that we weren't on a
full-sized bus (as we expected), but instead were on another minivan. It
was much more cramped. But we got there in 6 or 7 hours, I think. I know
we arrived later than expected.

If you decide to take one of the pickups from the border (where you are
crammed in the back with a bunch of locals), do NOT carry money in your
pockets or where it is remotely accessible.

Good luck,

Donna

"rob mendes" wrote in message
Hi Joel

Tyhe best thing to do asa advice of a tourleader (which Iam ) is just take
the the local bus from the busstation to Aranyaprathet buy ur visa at the
border (1000 Baht) and arrange ur transport in Poi Pet It will take u
cheaper and faster to Siem Reap
Dont pay anything at the border besies the visa and check ur entry

stamp!!!
otherwise u will get problems later when u leave the country .. u were

there
illegally and will be fined!!!
The bustickets that are sold at KS Road are cheap but you will transported
with a fully packed bus to Aranyaprathet where they will drop u off 3 km
from the border where they want u to wait and pay extra 1300 baht for the
visa so this will be the first 300 baht u pay extra and the delay is
terrible
After that they will drop u off at a sort of bussstation where they

probably
want u to go with 20 others in a small truck to save up gas so the more

they
can pack in one car the better and u have a hell of a ride The road

improved
and can be done by minivan which is the best option so ask for that! 300
baht is fee pp and dont pay more! All the negotation will only cost time

and
count on at least 6 hours from the border to Siem Reap (150 km)
They will drop u off at a guesthouse or hotel where they get commission
which of course u pay
A good and cheap hotel is Angkor hotel only 5 usd per night ( without

airco)

Have fun

"Joel Smith" schreef in bericht
link.net...
anything I shold be aware of if I take the bus from Khaosan Rd to

Cambodia
(Siem Reap/ANGKOR)
are ther still scams, delays. ripoffs??
Are the roads better?? faster??