Trying to get a cheap fare to Cancun

Old March 10th, 2005, 04:57 AM
parlee

Default Trying to get a cheap fare to Cancun

Hello,

I am in the process of buying 4 airline tickets for myself and my
family to Cancun. Once we arrive in Cancun, we will be traveling
"backpack style", i.e. public transport and inexpensive lodgings.

I am a little perplexed at the way the airline tickets are behaving.
I don't plan to travel until late May, but already the prices have
increased dramatically in just a couple of weeks. I also noticed that
if I were travelling to the same area within the next couple weeks,
the fares are much lower.

I know it is Spring Break and many people are traveling then, but I
thought the airlines rewarded you for planning ahead. I won't be
traveling for over 2 months and already I'm feeling the squeeze.

So what's the deal? Should I purchase now before prices continue to
climb, or should I wait as the price will probably fluctuate downward
before my departure?

This is worse than playing the stock market, there seems to be no
rhyme or reason to these prices.

Any advice or insight on playing the airline fare game would be
greatly appreciated. Take care, Tom
Old March 10th, 2005, 03:02 PM
chilly

"parlee" wrote in message
Hello,

I am in the process of buying 4 airline tickets for myself and my
family to Cancun. Once we arrive in Cancun, we will be traveling
"backpack style", i.e. public transport and inexpensive lodgings.

I am a little perplexed at the way the airline tickets are behaving.
I don't plan to travel until late May, but already the prices have
increased dramatically in just a couple of weeks. I also noticed that
if I were travelling to the same area within the next couple weeks,
the fares are much lower.

https://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/Vi...le03.08.05.xml

As I also understand travelocity has a feature that will watch the fares for
you and email you if and when they fall.
I'm sure there are other sites that will do the same. Another site to check
is Sidestep.

Good luck.