A request for guidance

Old October 19th, 2005, 11:00 PM
adrian7886

Default A request for guidance

I have read the usual books. Rough Guide, Lonely Planet etc etc but
would like some help from the experts.

I am planning to go to Australia for four weeks next October November
with my wife and ten year old son. Flying into Sydney and staying for
three or four days in a pre booked hotel.

From there the plan is to just travel around, train, plane or

automobile.

A friend of mine who comes from Perth recommends that I get to
Melbourne and head east. I might go to Perth as I have some old friends
there but that's not definite.

Any websites or blogs that you know of that could help us on our
travels would be most useful. I'm not on a tight budget but then
again not loaded either. Eighteen months of hard savings may allow us a
few luxuries!

Many thanks in advance
Adrian

Old October 20th, 2005, 04:50 AM
Andrew Zheng

find information you need at www.findasap.com.au
www.findasap.com.au is an online Australian Business Directory and
Internet Directory for Australian consumers and businesses.

use "travel", "travel agent", "travelling", "car rental",
"accommodation", etc key words to find what you want.

Andrew

On 19 Oct 2005 15:00:33 -0700, "adrian7886"
wrote:

I have read the usual books. Rough Guide, Lonely Planet etc etc but
would like some help from the experts.

I am planning to go to Australia for four weeks next October November
with my wife and ten year old son. Flying into Sydney and staying for
three or four days in a pre booked hotel.

From there the plan is to just travel around, train, plane or

Old October 20th, 2005, 08:13 AM
nicole71

Hi try this site very intersting huge amount of ideas and
http://www.csu.edu.au/links/tourism.html/

adrian7886 wrote:
I have read the usual books. Rough Guide, Lonely Planet etc etc but
would like some help from the experts.

I am planning to go to Australia for four weeks next October November
with my wife and ten year old son. Flying into Sydney and staying for
three or four days in a pre booked hotel.

From there the plan is to just travel around, train, plane or

Old October 20th, 2005, 07:36 PM
www.poms.co.uk

"adrian7886" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have read the usual books. Rough Guide, Lonely Planet etc etc but
would like some help from the experts.

I am planning to go to Australia for four weeks next October November
with my wife and ten year old son. Flying into Sydney and staying for
three or four days in a pre booked hotel.

From there the plan is to just travel around, train, plane or

automobile.

A friend of mine who comes from Perth recommends that I get to
Melbourne and head east. I might go to Perth as I have some old friends
there but that's not definite.

Any websites or blogs that you know of that could help us on our
travels would be most useful. I'm not on a tight budget but then
again not loaded either. Eighteen months of hard savings may allow us a
few luxuries!

Many thanks in advance
Adrian

Forget Sydney goto Perth instead

--
www.simcard.me.uk/australian_sim_card.htm Australian Sim Cards
www.poms.co.uk/forum/index.php Backpacking Australia Forum.

Old October 20th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Julie

Hi Adrian,

I think you meant that you will head west from Melbourne. You won't get far
travelling east.

Four weeks is not a lot of time to see Australia. You will have to
concentrate on perhaps a couple of places.

What are your interests. Beach? Mountains? Desert? Wildlife? Surfing?
Diving?

We have it all here. Maybe you should choose somewhere like the
Whitsundays. Plenty of beaches, fishing, sightseeing etc. and then go
somewhere inland for a complete change.

Once you let us know what you like we will all have some suggestions. But
don't waste time in cities like Melbourne, Sydney etc.

Kind regards,

Julie
Melbourne

"adrian7886" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have read the usual books. Rough Guide, Lonely Planet etc etc but
would like some help from the experts.

I am planning to go to Australia for four weeks next October November
with my wife and ten year old son. Flying into Sydney and staying for
three or four days in a pre booked hotel.

From there the plan is to just travel around, train, plane or

Old October 21st, 2005, 09:59 AM
adrian7886

You are so right I did mean West.

Start at Melbourne and head towards Perth. I must go to Perth as yet
another of my friends is emigrating in March next year. I have been
told there are some nice places along the coast road and some superb
beaches around Torquay?
I have also been told that the drive to Broken Hill and the place
itself is a bit of fun. I guess I want to see a bit of everything. I
know that four weeks is not enough to see it all and I really am in the
early stage of planning. That's why I need the help. ;-)

Julie wrote:
[...]

From there the plan is to just travel around, train, plane or

Old October 22nd, 2005, 12:48 AM
Ross

Do you realise that Perth is 3456 kms from Melbourne? And that's the
shortest route. Via Broken Hill is even longer.

If you and another driver could manage 700 kms per day that's five days
"shot" straight away.

700 clicks per day isn't that much but day after day it gets very wearing.

I suggest that you have another "think".

Ross

Old October 22nd, 2005, 02:33 AM
Ken Pisichko

Travel as much as you can in Australia. Anywhere!!

Then return to your home... While at home reflect on what you did and TRY
really hard to come back to OZ... You will NEVER see enough if OZ.

I lived there for a year, "saw" the eastern half (or so I thought) and am
still fascinated by Australia 33 years later. I even went back with my wife
in 1985 and "saw" more of eastern OZ.

Now, for me, it is time to go back - but to take 2 months diddling along
dirt roads on a bicycle and savouring OZ. I will certainly "see" a lot more
of Australia than I did on my first 2 sessions in OZ.

You will NEVER see it all. Do what you can and then plan to return (if
circumstances permit).

Ken
Canada

Old October 22nd, 2005, 09:52 AM
Gerrit 't Hart

"adrian7886" wrote in message
oups.com...
You are so right I did mean West.

Start at Melbourne and head towards Perth. I must go to Perth as yet
another of my friends is emigrating in March next year. I have been
told there are some nice places along the coast road and some superb
beaches around Torquay?
I have also been told that the drive to Broken Hill and the place
itself is a bit of fun. I guess I want to see a bit of everything. I
know that four weeks is not enough to see it all and I really am in the
early stage of planning. That's why I need the help. ;-)

Adrian

As some others have already pointed out Australia is large and from
Melbourne to Perth is more than 3000km. I suggest you hire a car which you
can drop off in Perth.
Drive from Melbourne to (in sort of order) Torquay, Great Ocean Road (take 5
days to get to) Adelaide (stay 3 days see Barossa Valley, Adelaide Hills -
incl Hahndorf, and the Fleurieau Peninsula), if you wish a couple of days on
Kangaroo Island by ferry from the tip of the peninsula, north to Port
Augusta (suggest Broken Hill is too far out of your way), westwards down the
Eyre Peninsula coast to Port Lincoln and Coffin Bay, up the west coast of
the peninsula to Ceduna then the long haul across the Nullarbor (don't
forget to check out Head of Bight and some of the other lookouts) to
Norseman. Turn southwards to Esperance (good for 3 days incl. Cape Le Grande
National Park), westwards to Albany (good for 7 days - I grew up there!)
thence via Denmark to Walpole and Pemberton. Westwards to Augusta thence
northwards to Margaret River and Busselton - the extreme southwest corner
area encompassed by these towns is good for 7 days - we spend at least a
week there every summer. From Busselton northwards to Perth via Bunbury.
Then visit friends and have a good time until the time comes to
(reluctantly) go home again.

Ask your friends in Perth for more information about the South West or use
Google or ask us on this newsgroup with more specific queries.

I hope you do something like this as it will give a you a start to seeing
Australia and I am sure that afterwards you will come back!

Gerrit - Perth

Old October 22nd, 2005, 10:18 AM
Scotty

"Ross" wrote in message
Do you realise that Perth is 3456 kms from Melbourne? And that's the
shortest route. Via Broken Hill is even longer.

If you and another driver could manage 700 kms per day that's five days
"shot" straight away.

700 clicks per day isn't that much but day after day it gets very wearing.

I suggest that you have another "think".

Ross

On that route 700kms per day easy. With two drivers budget for around the
1200 per day. Sydney to Brisbane is 998Kms and thats a good days drive
10hours including short stops.

Across to Perth, I'd be flying stuff that drive. Or train even, thats a good
trip no driving at all. :-)