Avoid Delta and Atlanta

Old August 14th, 2006, 07:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Hatunen

Default Draconian vacation policies for US slave workers

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:42:02 -0700, Hatunen
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:02:46 GMT, (Jim Ley)
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:54:12 GMT, mrtravel
wrote:

The Reid wrote:
how is it better than satellite or freeview?

Weather and other obstacles can cause problems for satelite TV, plus the
dish might not fit with the style of your home.

And what if you get many hundreds less channels with the cable system,
does that change the decision?

It doesn't matter if the alternative is watching Finnish TV
stations. Although I will say that we found the tango singing
contest from Seinajoki kind of fascinating, perhaps abetted buy
the fact that we barely understood a word of it.

At least some of the cable channels are in English and French.
The European cable channel shows old French movies subtitled in
.... (drumroll please).... French. Go figure. But it's the first
time I gotto see "Les Amants" uncensored. I first saw it in the
1050s at an art theater in Cleveland and the sexy scenes were

1950s

darkened. So I found out those scenes that had been darkened
beyond visibility in the USA in the 1950s were a total bore with
today's mores.

But Jeanne Moreau looked hot.

Old August 14th, 2006, 08:57 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
marika[_1_]

"a.spencer3" wrote in message

Nah, it's not crap at all, it's great.
For sports events, for instance, you can select which tennis match/field
event/soccer match, whatever, you prefer to watch instead of the
mainstream
event..

At least in Roanoke, the roads are remaining clear. Snow, so far, has not
stuck to the main roads.

Stayed in and watched basketball most of the day.

Old August 14th, 2006, 09:19 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Dave Frightens Me

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:44:21 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 11:54:28 +0200, Dave Frightens Me
wrote:

On 13 Aug 2006 21:25:19 -0700, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Dave Frightens Me wrote:
On 10 Aug 2006 18:01:31 -0700, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Utter rubbish. These people are no more likely to have links with Al
Qaeda and the Taliban than anyone else. They were just rounded up so
the USA could have some spoils.

And your proof of that?

They are being deprived due process only because many of them would be
found to have done nothing.

And your proof of *that*???

Just read the ****ing article and educate yourself. They have been
assumed guilty, and have no way of proving otherwise.

In other words you have to proof and you are willing to believe any
slanted article you can find.

Can you spell "gullible"?

Yet you believe politicians instead of facts from government sources.
An odd idea of gullible.

"Gullible" isn't in the dictionary, so it can't be a word.

Neither is "fettle", but mine's in fine enough form.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:46 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Tchiowa

Dave Frightens Me wrote:
On 10 Aug 2006 18:01:31 -0700, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Utter rubbish. These people are no more likely to have links with Al
Qaeda and the Taliban than anyone else. They were just rounded up so
the USA could have some spoils.

And your proof of that?

They are being deprived due process only because many of them would be
found to have done nothing.

And your proof of *that*???

Just read the ****ing article and educate yourself. They have been
assumed guilty, and have no way of proving otherwise.

In other words you have to proof and you are willing to believe any
slanted article you can find.

Please, show where the slant is. The info comes from government
sources, and I can't seem to fault it. Help me if you like.

The slant is obvious in the phrasing of the article. There is a very
clear agenda.

Old August 15th, 2006, 01:57 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Tchiowa

Sarah Banick wrote:
"Tchiowa" wrote in message
ups.com...

Sarah Banick wrote:
"Tchiowa" wrote in message
oups.com...

Instead try asking how many people in the US travel away from home and
how far the typical trip is and compare with Europe. You'll find that
Americans travel more.

Do you have actual numbers on this? I am really curious to see if that is
true. There are many Americans who have never been out of their state or
region, especially those at the lower end of the socioeconomic ladder.
Their
typical trip is to the nearest beach or amusement park.

You're wrong about that. There was a study done a few years ago about
Americans living below the poverty line and the majority of them took
annual vacations away from home.

Let's see those stats. A link will do.

Check the Heritage Foundation's website. Lots of studies to read.

I still agree with the others. An American driving from say, Virginia to
California, may cover a lot of territory, but he's still in the same
culture
(all California jokes aside), he's still watching the same television
programs, speaking the same language, and not using a passport or being
exposed to the many quirks (for lack of a better word) of international
travel.

Culture the same in New Orleans and New York?

I don't think so.

What, they don't watch American Idol, argue about the administration in
Washington, pay social security and federal income tax, and celebrate the
fourth of July?

That's "culture" to you? The speak slightly different languages, a lot
of different foods, different types of entertainment, music, movies,
etc.

The food and accents, and some state laws, are different,
that's all. I charge you to find more differences than similarities between
New York and New Orleans.

I charge you to find more differences than similarites between
Amsterdam and Brussels.

Old August 15th, 2006, 02:00 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Tchiowa

Hatunen wrote:
On 14 Aug 2006 04:14:55 -0700, "Tchiowa"
wrote:

Balkanized is a term that came into common use during the 1990s when
Yugoslavia came apart and the Balkans erupted into war. Balkanized
means that the area has been chopped up into small independent
political entities based on mutual hatred.

You must be young to think the word "Balkanized" came into common
use in the 1990s.

Sorry, but while it may have been used in some circles, *common* usage
didn't happen until the Balkans came apart rather violently in the 90s.

Kind of like the rest of Europe.

Or did you think that all those nations formed by some kind of magic?

THOSE nations were formed in the aftermath of WW1,

Amazing. No Germany or France or England or Italy or Spain or Portugal
or Ireland prior to WWI. All the history books must be wrong.

Old August 15th, 2006, 02:03 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Miguel Cruz

"Tchiowa" wrote:
Jordi wrote:
In terms of distance, it is, in cultural terms a trip from Athens to
Berlin is a greater 'distance'.

Nonsense. The difference in culture between New York City, San
Francisco, Miami, New Orleans are every bit as great.

I'm having a hard time grasping this claim.

Take New York and New Orleans, to be charitable.

The vast majority of people speak the same language. They have 95% of
the same TV channels, substantially the same popular music and films,
the same brands in the shops and the same chains of shops. They have 200
years of shared national history and for most people the same elections
are the most important.

Contrast this with Athens and Berlin. A tiny minority of the people have
shared fluency in any language. They share a handful of TV channels,
mostly the channels that are available in New York and New Orleans as
well. Popular music and films are different, the cuisines have less
overlap, and individuals in one city have almost no interest in the same
political issues as those in the other. They don't even use the same
alphabet.

miguel
--
Photos from 40 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia; Thailand; Singapore; Spain; Morocco
Old August 15th, 2006, 02:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Tchiowa

Jordi wrote:
Tchiowa wrote:
Jordi wrote:
Tchiowa wrote:

In this context, it's a matter of grade and word choice.

No, in this context it's the core of what works and what doesn't work.

In your black & white world, perhaps.

If you are unable to understand the difference between government
control and regulation then you have a real problem with economics.

In terms of distance, it is, in cultural terms a trip from Athens to
Berlin is a greater 'distance'.

Nonsense. The difference in culture between New York City, San
Francisco, Miami, New Orleans are every bit as great.

No, they're not.

Spoken like a true Euro who have never been to the US.

Before you come up with the "smart" response, I've been to Europe
probably 100 times and visited a large number of European countries.

The boundaries are there for a reason.

Hate, bigotry, a millienium of murder, how are those for starters?

There's history, you see. Are you by any chance pretending the US is
exempt from those?

No. Just pointing out the fact that the reason so many Euros have
passports is due to hatred and bigotry, not some cultural superiority
as has been implied.

No, we're talking two completely different things. All this came after
you said more or less 'what's the use of holidays if people don't have
money to spend', Europeans do have enough money to keep a... say
'western' lifestyle without having to work 51 weeks a year, that's all.

But their "western" lifestyle is lower than American's.

In what sense? 1.0 litre less of engine?, 4 less inches on a flat TV?
Having some real vacation weighs substantially more on overal quality
of life.

As do a lot of other things. Most Americans have "real" vacations and
most have more to spend on their vacations that Euros do.
I don't think so if people have to wait until they're 50 to get 4 weeks
vacation.

They don't. Some do, some don't.

A vast majority don't

Wrong.

But are you saying that you can't enjoy time with your family and still work????

You can, just less.

Quantity as opposed to quality?

Me and the official unemployment statistics.

Oversimplificating again. Unemployment has very deep roots.

And the government mandated benefits that have no relation to effort
and productivity are part of those roots.

So you believe. Many studies show an increased vacation time reduces
stress and improves productivity.

Where?

OK. I'm waiting for the definition and the point.

"there is no way to calculate how much is excessive as it depends on
every individual and work position."

Then how can you say that the amount Americans work is "excessive"?

It's less than other very productive economies (Australians have 5
weeks, Sweden has 25 days, etc.)

Less or more is not the issue. You said *EXCESSIVE*! Then you admit you
can't calculate it. So maybe Australians vacation is *excessive*.

Most. Read the studies. Vacations are times of high family violence due
to stress.

Do you have any cite or this is 'personal experience' again?

Lots of stats. I'll dig some out for you. Although I expect that you
won't believe them.

No conservative think-tanks, please.

Ah, I see. No one who disagrees with your pre-formed opinions. As I
said, you obviously won't believe what you read.

Once they're written down by law they're not benefits any more, they
become rights, and are the same for everyone. There are other benefits
beyond those that businesses own to motivate them.

???? Of course they are benefits. Just because they are government
mandated doesn't change that.

And since those benefits have no direct relation to productivity they
are a burden on the employer.

They're rights, as any employer not granting them would be breaking the
law, and they're the same for everyone so they can hardly be a burden
for an individual employer.

So what???????? The are still benefits. And as the employer has to pay
them then they are clearly a burden. The fact that the governments in
the EU burden all employers that way doesn't change those facts.

If you are talking on an international level, you will see many of
these allegedly burdened employers competing hand to hand with other
'unburdened' ones.

With a whole lot less employees which is demonstrated by the high
unemployment rates in Europe.

Old August 15th, 2006, 02:12 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Tchiowa

Hatunen wrote:
On 14 Aug 2006 03:43:58 -0700, "Tchiowa"
wrote:

Jordi wrote:
Tchiowa wrote:

Yup. In part. But they still have their passports. But my statement
still stands. Europeans travel "abroad" more than Americans because
damn near everything in Europe is "abroad" for Europeans? Brussels to
Amsterdam is a foreign trip. New York to LA isn't. Which is the greater
travel?

In terms of distance, it is, in cultural terms a trip from Athens to
Berlin is a greater 'distance'.

Nonsense. The difference in culture between New York City, San
Francisco, Miami, New Orleans are every bit as great.

Especially the languages.

Yes. Creole vs. Spanish.

The boundaries are there for a reason.

Hate, bigotry, a millienium of murder, how are those for starters?

I'd think you were talking about the USA if you hadn't said a
"millenium" We've only ahd some 500 years for it.

The US has no international boundaries therefore the point is
irrelevant. And don't forget that the vast majority of that violence in
the US over 500 years was committed by Europeans.

No, we're talking two completely different things. All this came after
you said more or less 'what's the use of holidays if people don't have
money to spend', Europeans do have enough money to keep a... say
'western' lifestyle without having to work 51 weeks a year, that's all.

But their "western" lifestyle is lower than American's.

In northern Europe? Not that I can see.

The average American *who is living in poverty* has a greater living
space (in his house or apartment) than the average European middle
class!

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Welfare/bg1796.cfm

Old August 15th, 2006, 02:13 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Tchiowa

Hatunen wrote:

As for me, I have found New York and New Orleans to have very
different cultures, perhaps because I grew up in a still
different cultu the Midwest. And San Francisco??? I've lived
there; it's different.

That's putting it mildly. ;-)