Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:54 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

Default Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

On 2009-08-20 19:09:54 -0400, "ARL" said:
Have you tried Orbitz.com or Hotels.com?

Yes, Slim. We have tried many internet booking sites and
read-contribute TripAdvisors religiously.
However, the major problems these internet booking sites, they require
you to PAY now.
Almost impossible to make any changes or cancellations. We certainly
like to know and want to pick up better deal when late October get
closer. Don't you agree?

Always look for a better deal....I agree.

But PLEASE don't stay in Noo Joisey. It can take you an hour or more
late night to get back to your hotel.

In reality, it's 10 to 12 minutes. See below.

Nothing below.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:57 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-08-22 22:21:38 -0400, Michael Finfer said:

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

Newark Penn is 20 minutes on PATH from World Trade and 15 minutes on a
good day from Penn Station on NJ Transit. NJT is more expensive ($4 one
way and $7.00 round trip-non-rush hours only). You can get to 33rd St.
on PATH from Newark, but you have to change trains at Journal Square,
and it's a slow ride, about 50 minutes.

JSQ to 33 is 20 minutes tops. Late-nights and weekends you detour
through Hoboken, which adds 10-15 min.

I made a trip from Newark to 33rd while the WTC station was closed,
direct with no transfer. It took 50 minutes.

So that means they would have to burn two hours a day getting to/from
the hotel.

Thats no bargain.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:19 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Michael Finfer

On 2009-08-22 22:21:38 -0400, Michael Finfer said:

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

Newark Penn is 20 minutes on PATH from World Trade and 15 minutes on a
good day from Penn Station on NJ Transit. NJT is more expensive ($4
one
way and $7.00 round trip-non-rush hours only). You can get to 33rd St.
on PATH from Newark, but you have to change trains at Journal Square,
and it's a slow ride, about 50 minutes.

JSQ to 33 is 20 minutes tops. Late-nights and weekends you detour
through Hoboken, which adds 10-15 min.

I made a trip from Newark to 33rd while the WTC station was closed,
direct with no transfer. It took 50 minutes.

So that means they would have to burn two hours a day getting to/from
the hotel.

Thats no bargain.

No. 15 minutes on NJ Transit to Penn Station if they want to go uptown
unless they can't afford the $7 off peak round trip. If they are going
to make at least five round trips in a calendar week, they could buy a
weekly ticket for roughly the same amount of money, and then they could

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ
Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:20 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter T. Daniels[_2_]

On Aug 22, 10:27 pm, "Joseph D. Korman" wrote:
Peter T. Daniels wrote:
On Aug 22, 6:53 pm, "Joseph D. Korman" wrote:

ATM wrote:

"Michael Finfer" wrote in message

On 2009-08-20 21:17:33 -0400, Cyrus Afzali said:

It costs that much just to get into a taxi. Be aware that a long
taxi ride can cost a significant amount of money, and that the meter
continues to rack up charges even when you're stopped in traffic.
Not to mention the fact that, as my wife jokes, I seem to have a near
death experience every time I agree to a taxi ride in New York, which
is something that I try to avoid like the plague!

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ

Say, typical weekday evening, taxi from SoHo to Times Square, how much
taxi fare you are talking about?

I assume the same subway distances fare is around few dollars, right?
Is there tourist type Manhattan subway fare package? such as 5 day
unlimited rides type of pass? How much?

There are a few discounted Metrocards:

http://www.mta.info/metrocard/

Things to know:
Pay Per Ride:

For example, a $20 purchase gives you $23 on your card.
Bus and subway rides deduct $2.25 for each passenger, one swipe at a
time.
The pay per ride allows up to four people at the same time to ride.
Transfers to and from buses require only one swipe for the party.
It's also good on the PATH ($1.75 per person), but no transfers are
given to NYC buses or subway, if you start on PATH from NJ.

Don't use your MetroCard on PATH. A 10-ride PATH card is $13.00. A 20-
ride card for $26 will give two people five round trips.

This is for a person who will be in the Metro area for a few days. They
may not be here long enough to ride 10 times on PATH.

Two people, five days. Isn't that how long they said they're staying?
They were also interested in the week's apartment rental.

And no, you don't need to buy a SmartCard. The machines still sell non-
reuseable cards.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:24 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter T. Daniels[_2_]

On 2009-08-20 21:17:33 -0400, Cyrus Afzali said:

It costs that much just to get into a taxi. Be aware that a long taxi
ride can cost a significant amount of money, and that the meter
continues to rack up charges even when you're stopped in traffic. Not
to mention the fact that, as my wife jokes, I seem to have a near
death experience every time I agree to a taxi ride in New York, which
is something that I try to avoid like the plague!

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ

Say, typical weekday evening, taxi from SoHo to Times Square, how much
taxi fare you are talking about?

I assume the same subway distances fare is around few dollars, right?
Is there tourist type Manhattan subway fare package? such as 5 day
unlimited rides type of pass? How much?

The subway is a flat $2.25 (discounted to about $1.96 if you put at
least $8 on a card each time) which includes a free transfer to/from a
bus line if necessary. Taxis are $2.50 to start, 40 cents for each 1/5
mile and 40 cents for each 60 seconds at less than 12 MPH, plus 50 cents
per ride from 8 PM to 6 AM and $1 per ride Mon-Fri from 4 PM to 8 PM.

You need to decide what's best for you for each trip.

The bus (no stairs!) is the same as the subway -- and you can pay cash
(no bills).

The free transfer is between bus & bus or bus & subway, but not subway
& subway.

You just can't get back on the same bus line (even in the opposite
direction), and there's a 2-hour limit on using it (from when you
first swiped your card).
Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:26 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter T. Daniels[_2_]

On Aug 22, 10:21 pm, Michael Finfer wrote:
Peter T. Daniels wrote:
Newark Penn is 20 minutes on PATH from World Trade and 15 minutes on a
good day from Penn Station on NJ Transit. NJT is more expensive ($4 one
way and $7.00 round trip-non-rush hours only). You can get to 33rd St.
on PATH from Newark, but you have to change trains at Journal Square,
and it's a slow ride, about 50 minutes.

JSQ to 33 is 20 minutes tops. Late-nights and weekends you detour
through Hoboken, which adds 10-15 min.

I made a trip from Newark to 33rd while the WTC station was closed,
direct with no transfer. It took 50 minutes.

Um, so what? That route does not exist.

I don't know how slow it was in 2002, but it isn't slow now.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:28 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter T. Daniels[_2_]

On 2009-08-22 22:21:38 -0400, Michael Finfer said:

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

Newark Penn is 20 minutes on PATH from World Trade and 15 minutes on a
good day from Penn Station on NJ Transit. NJT is more expensive ($4 one
way and $7.00 round trip-non-rush hours only). You can get to 33rd St.
on PATH from Newark, but you have to change trains at Journal Square,
and it's a slow ride, about 50 minutes.

JSQ to 33 is 20 minutes tops. Late-nights and weekends you detour
through Hoboken, which adds 10-15 min.

I made a trip from Newark to 33rd while the WTC station was closed,
direct with no transfer. It took 50 minutes.

So that means they would have to burn two hours a day getting to/from
the hotel.

Thats no bargain.

So who is suggesting they stay in Newark?

There are many fancy hotels in "the new downtown" Jersey City, one
stop, 5 minutes, from WTC.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:06 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Joseph D. Korman

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
The bus (no stairs!) is the same as the subway -- and you can pay cash
(no bills).

The free transfer is between bus & bus or bus & subway, but not subway
& subway.

You just can't get back on the same bus line (even in the opposite
direction), and there's a 2-hour limit on using it (from when you
first swiped your card).

To be clear, if you pay exact fare ($2.25) with coins on a bus, you may
ask for an encoded transfer that is good on another bus on a different
route (see below), no transfer to the subway. Most subway stations that
intersect allow you to transfer from one line to another, without
leaving the fare control areas.

Bus-bus transfer note: some routes share the same main
streets/avenues, especially in Manhattan, for some of these the
bus-bus transfer is *NOT* good in either direction between these routes.

| Joseph D. Korman |
| |
| Visit The JoeKorNer at |
| http://www.thejoekorner.com |
|-------------------------------------------------|
| The light at the end of the tunnel ... |
| may be a train going the other way! |
| Brooklyn Tech Grads build things that work!('66)|
|-------------------------------------------------|
| All outgoing E-mail is scanned by NAV |
Old August 24th, 2009, 12:08 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-08-22 22:21:38 -0400, Michael Finfer said:

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

[...]

Buuuuuut.....they still have to get to Penn, go downstairs, figure out
where they have to go, be on time for train.

I would say that it would be closer to an hour each way "door-to-door"
to/from the Hotel.

They are here to see and enjoy NYC and not necessarily burn hours on
the local transit systems.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 24th, 2009, 12:10 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-08-22 22:21:38 -0400, Michael Finfer said:

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

Newark Penn is 20 minutes on PATH from World Trade and 15 minutes on a
good day from Penn Station on NJ Transit. NJT is more expensive ($4 one
way and $7.00 round trip-non-rush hours only). You can get to 33rd St.
on PATH from Newark, but you have to change trains at Journal Square,
and it's a slow ride, about 50 minutes.

JSQ to 33 is 20 minutes tops. Late-nights and weekends you detour
through Hoboken, which adds 10-15 min.

I made a trip from Newark to 33rd while the WTC station was closed,
direct with no transfer. It took 50 minutes.

So that means they would have to burn two hours a day getting to/from
the hotel.

Thats no bargain.

So who is suggesting they stay in Newark

There are many fancy hotels in "the new downtown" Jersey City, one
stop, 5 minutes, from WTC.

That is the time for the ride, but the trip has to be considered
"door-to-door".

You make it sound like its 5 minutes from the hotel (which could cost
just as much as one in the city) to WTC.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra